Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Jaguar xtype Knock sensor part number

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Jaguar xtype Knock sensor part number

Hi Everyone,

I have searched far and wide trying to get the Factory Knock sensor part number for my 2006 Xtype and keep coming up with multiple different part that suit
Im In Australia and what i need to know is other than original Jaguar knock sensor what other is the correct fit for my 2006 Xtype Petrol Vin Number SAJAG51S56YJ03391

Thankyou

Old 02-05-2023, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 421 Likes on 308 Posts

AJ85676
This should be it...
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...k-sensor-p2931
I really hope, you find it cheaper somewhere - I guess that might be a start, but i'd keep researching:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40393372...Bk9SR5SV0JfEYQ

The following users liked this post:
finnish (02-11-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:33 AM
Default Cheers Peter

Thx Peter,
I found a new 1 in Taiwan, for $135 and should get it Friday,
A bit of Background on Jag I acquired the car after a mechanic replaced a head gasket and could not get it running again, after some searching I found a Vacuum hose not connected and when connected is started, then I tested knock sensor and it was dead.

I have found 2 wires not connect is there anyone who might be able to identify where they belong, the plug with the Green connector is running just behind the battery Box, and the Red plug was just sitting behind the Starter motor, I have searched am unable to find anywhere to plug them into.

Cheers for the help

Old 02-10-2023, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 421 Likes on 308 Posts

I am having a bit of a sabbatical / time out, due to not being too thrilled regarding having been attacked personally by LLLA in the S-Type section for answering somebody's technical question. But since I answered your other question already (see above) and you are waiting for an answer already quite a while, I'll take you on as kind of a "last patient" as Doc Martin in "Doc Martin, season 10", who took care of the stock broker turned farmer, who dislocated his shoulder and then stabbed himself accidentally with a syringe meant for a cow...

Today I started swapping my water pump on my 2.1L X-Type 2006, and as such I could easily take a shot of the green connector:

As you can see, it is also not connected on my perfectly running X, so I fully agree with h2O2steam in your other thread, that this is most likely the transit connector, where the battery of brand new cars gets recharged on their very long journey on a ship. (Don't worry about all my little cables - that is from my DTRL).

As for your other connector in question: I do not want to pull my plug off (as there is always the danger of breaking something), so I do not know, if it is red inside, however, from the outside shape it most certainly looks the same:

If this is your connector, it would go to what I think is the camshaft sensor. Are your wires green and yellow? If they are not green an yellow, the other thing, which h2O2steam writes in the other thread of yours, also sounds very plausible (ex vac pump).

The following users liked this post:
finnish (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 04:04 AM

Cheers Peter,

I will check out the wire colours tomorrow.
Doc Martin is my favorite show, he reminds me of myself haha

Old 03-24-2023, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get one on RockAuto.com. Do what I did and mount it to the firewall. Not only did it improve the performance but it also told me it was holding back my performance being mounted on the motor.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I am having a bit of a sabbatical / time out, due to not being too thrilled regarding having been attacked personally by LLLA in the S-Type section for answering somebody's technical question. But since I answered your other question already (see above) and you are waiting for an answer already quite a while, I'll take you on as kind of a "last patient" as Doc Martin in "Doc Martin, season 10", who took care of the stock broker turned farmer, who dislocated his shoulder and then stabbed himself accidentally with a syringe meant for a cow...

Today I started swapping my water pump on my 2.1L X-Type 2006, and as such I could easily take a shot of the green connector:

As you can see, it is also not connected on my perfectly running X, so I fully agree with h2O2steam in your other thread, that this is most likely the transit connector, where the battery of brand new cars gets recharged on their very long journey on a ship. (Don't worry about all my little cables - that is from my DTRL).

As for your other connector in question: I do not want to pull my plug off (as there is always the danger of breaking something), so I do not know, if it is red inside, however, from the outside shape it most certainly looks the same:

If this is your connector, it would go to what I think is the camshaft sensor. Are your wires green and yellow? If they are not green an yellow, the other thing, which h2O2steam writes in the other thread of yours, also sounds very plausible (ex vac pump).
whoa whoa whoa, why the attitude?!? Chill out dude!! Just tell him where to hook it up already! Sheesh!

im just kidding! Lol. Sorry i couldnt resist!

but seriously, I think youre right about the connector. Its not connected because its not needed. Theres actually a lot of connectors on my STR that arent mated to anything. My transit relay in the trunk threw me for a while too. I searched the damn schematics for a while until i found it. I even have connectors under thr bumper for fog lights that arent on STRs. And there are two electrical relays in the fuse box for fog lights as well. Crazy theyd put the relays in (at least thats what I thought)

Old 03-26-2023, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justpython
You can get one on RockAuto.com. Do what I did and mount it to the firewall. Not only did it improve the performance but it also told me it was holding back my performance being mounted on the motor.
ya I bet it will improve the performance right up until the engine knock you arent suppressing blows a hole through the pistons! But until that happens your timing will advance to who knows where and youll brrrrrm brrrrrm brrrrrm all over town lickity split!

there shall be devastating unintended consequences by relocating that knock sensor. Not really a good idea unless you run race gas all the time. And im not even sure its a good idea then unless you get the engine tuned to eliminate the knock.

Signed,
someone who has blown a hole off the top of a piston in my high vompression engine and learned the hard way

Old 03-26-2023, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
ya I bet it will improve the performance right up until the engine knock you arent suppressing blows a hole through the pistons! But until that happens your timing will advance to who knows where and youll brrrrrm brrrrrm brrrrrm all over town lickity split!

there shall be devastating unintended consequences by relocating that knock sensor. Not really a good idea unless you run race gas all the time. And im not even sure its a good idea then unless you get the engine tuned to eliminate the knock.

Signed,
someone who has blown a hole off the top of a piston in my high vompression engine and learned the hard way

Hmm, Maybe you had other issues that made that happen. Since I replaced my sensor and mounted it to the firewall I've put about 15,000 miles of hard high speed driving and my Jag just runs better than ever. For the record, I've got 179,000 miles on the car. Every day I drive it I get over 120+ on the freeway. Other things I've done to my car is lowered it 2", new springs and shocks, new brakes drilled and slotted rotors, and a performace chip. As hard as I drive my car it still gets 21 miles to the gallon at high speed. I do change my oil every 3000 miles.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justpython
Hmm, Maybe you had other issues that made that happen. Since I replaced my sensor and mounted it to the firewall I've put about 15,000 miles of hard high speed driving and my Jag just runs better than ever. For the record, I've got 179,000 miles on the car. Every day I drive it I get over 120+ on the freeway. Other things I've done to my car is lowered it 2", new springs and shocks, new brakes drilled and slotted rotors, and a performace chip. As hard as I drive my car it still gets 21 miles to the gallon at high speed. I do change my oil every 3000 miles.
I did! The engine didnt have knock sensors. But thats the same result youll get by putting your knock sensor somewhere that it wont pick up engine knock so the ecm drops the timing.

every knock blasts a microscopic pice of aluminum off your piston. Yes MICROSCOPIC. Its not huge chunks.

so over time- depending on how much knock you get by driving it hard it could take 10,000 miles or 30,000 miles. It all depends on how thick your pistons tops are and how many knocks you dont suppress. Dont think it wont happen bc it will. Its a fact. Sooner or later youll beat enough metal off that the piston has a catastrophic and dramatic cataclysmic failure. Theres no way to avoid it other than eliminating the knock by sensing it and letting the ecm dial back the timing

I know you believe me so heres a scientist in a white coat explaining it

Piston destruction caused by knock
and
Knock induced piston damage

Last edited by Aarcuda; 03-30-2023 at 10:46 PM.