X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 X type timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 X type timing cover leak

I have a 2006 X type 3.0L AWD sedan with just under 100,000 miles. The timing cover has started to leak oil. I was ok with it as it was a small amount until I could start to smell it burning off while driving.
The dealership wants twice what the car is worth to replace it. They insist that the engine needs to be removed in order to replace the gaskets on the timing cover.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing these gaskets without removing the engine. I am getting ready to perform a large preventative maintenance package on the car myself (spark plugs, all fluids & filters, belts, seat lift motor upgrades) along with replacing the rear catalytic converter and installing a new a/c compressor kit. Is it possible to remove the timing cover through the right hand wheel well?
I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade. Tight spaces and finicky machinery dont really intimidate me. I do like to keep my machines in top shape.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Definitely makes sure its the timing cover and not the oil pan. I would think that is the more common location for leak. I know the oil pan can be replaced w/o removing the engine but I don't think the timing cover can be.

Also, if you plan on doing all that, also consider valve cover gaskets, VVT solenoid gaskets and spark plug well gaskets. I'm sure there is some wetness around those areas also.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Thanks gkubrak.
I'll definitely order the additional gaskets. I haven't seen the leak up close and personal yet myself. I just have the dealer's findings. Hopefully I find it is the oil pan. From what I can see in the tech pubs, that will be much easier.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not saying the dealer is wrong of course, or that the timing cover isn't leaking, but the oil pan is a common source of leaks as are the valve covers, and both can leak on the exhaust. Take a look at the exhaust pipe that runs under the oil pan and see if it's wet with oil anywhere and if so where it's coming from. I don't think the exhaust runs right under the timing cover, but I guess it's possible the oil is running from the timing cover down the oil pan and onto the exhaust. Also try and find the highest point that is wet. I've found cleaning the area and sprinkling it with flour and running the engine for a while to be a helpful technique, and or worst case putting UV dye in the oil and using a black light will readily pinpoint the leak. I'd check for wetness on the exhaust first as the valve covers are pretty tight in these cars and it's a little tough to determine if they're leaking onto the manifolds visually. If there's no oil on the exhaust pipe under the engine though, that's what it will be. Also, if you just had your oil changed, it's easy to spill oil from the filter on the exhaust and it can take a while to burn off.

Oh, as a cheap quick fix, I've used a bead of silicone sealant on the oil pan to divert the oil from a leaking oil pan so that it doesn't drip on the exhaust. Might be something to consider while you're planning your repairs if the smell is driving you nuts.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2020, 02:19 AM

Thanks Xtypehi,
the car has actually been sitting for a little while due to a bad catalytic converter. I intend to give it a really good visual inspection with a mirror, strong light and even an endoscope if necessary to find the leak. Ideally even if I couldn’t smell the oil leak, I’d like to keep the spots off of the driveway.
thanks again for the advice.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with the repairs and please let us know how it goes. I have a bad firewall side cat too and am astonished by the amount of work necessary to replace it. I really do recommend the UV dye and light if there is any ambiguity on where the leak is coming from, over the years it's made a couple leaks I was unable to otherwise visually pinpoint immediately clear.