X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300hp finally??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 300hp finally??

Obviously it it impossible to attach a hp rating to each mod (ie. headers- 15hp, intake 5hp, etc.) as there are so many variables, but I can see where RacerX may have gotten to the 300hp mark naturally aspirated. In all reality, it shouldn't be that hard to do- it just takes some mechanical knowedge because if you had to pay someone to do the work it would be cost prohibitive.

I think what we could benefit from the most would be an affordable ECU upgrade option other than the Arden unit. My electrical engineering buddy is going to run a bunch of tests on my ECU and see if there is a way to "overclock" the ECU which will allow for a high rev limiter. The trick will be getting the clocked ECU to communicate with the vehicle- mainly the onboard diagnostics system. Of course, this is all speculation. It all depends on how the ECU is designed, which we should soon know. I know that clocking the ECU on my 91 R/T TT made a big difference in useable rpms with turbos. He is also going to take a look at the possibility of re-flashing the ECU with different (advanced/retarded) timing. Obviously Arden has the capability of doing it, so he should too. If bad comes to worse I have a friend who is the garage manager at a Jaguar dealership in VA. If I have to I can take my car to his dealership and use the factory diagnostic computer to make the changes.

What I am basically trying to do is apply the knowedge I have from modifiying my 1991 Stealth R/T TT to the X-type platform. They are very similar in that they are both 3.0L V6, transversely mounted, AWD, 5-speed, etc. The main difference is Stealth is 15 year old technology and naturally aspirated is only rated at 222hp. The X-type has the potential to be very, very fast- it just needs the aftermarket support. Lord knows it has all the bells and whistles from the factory such as VVT, rpm-adjustable length intake runners, etc. What I am trying to do is simply unleash the full potential of the engine. Obviously, a car manufacturer is not going to release a car that is tuned to the edge; there is quite a large safety margin there that can be altered without doing much damage to long term reliability.

Think of how fast a BPU X-type would be... If we had a full intake, header/exhaust system, larger injectors, fuel control, boosted spark, and a decent clutch these cars would be amazingly fast. The biggest obstacle to overcome is tricking all the electronics the car is equipped with into thinking the modifications aren't there. Obviously just throwing all these parts on the car won't work. I doubt it would even start without at least some ECU tuning. The trick is going to be getting information from everyone who has modded their cars together in one place and learn from eachothers experiences.

You will be seeing a lot more posts from me in the future as I have just started a new job that pretty much pays me to work 2 hours a day and browse the internet the other 6. Now I have time to communicate all the progress I am making with my fellow X owners.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: ArdenX
The headers will make the X louder but won't give much more power as the stock headers are more than sufficient. I guarantee this guy would not get over 260hp with his mods.
This would be true if the headers incorporated the factory catalytic converters, however, the point of getting headers would be to increase exhaust flow therefore eliminating the need for the cats. The pipes could then collect together and go into a single 3" high-flow cat which would definately allow for far more horsepower than available on the stock system.

I am the person who sold him the headers on ebay (which he got an awesome deal on I will add) and I can assure you they increased power quite a bit. They eliminated the cats which is where most of the power from that upgrade comes from. Sure, if you want to be environmentally friendly you can install a downstream converter, preferably high flow, and still retain a majority of the power gained from eliminating the factory cats.

Also keep in mind the amount of heat produced by the catalytic converters being located so close to the engine. By moving the cat to under the car a lot of room is freed up under the hood- allowing more airflow and less heat = more power. Once the heat situation is dealt with, the factory oil cooler can be eliminated, further simplifying the layout of the engine bay.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that you would see some noticeable power from removing the cats but simply changing the headers to stainless steel will not make any difference. The big question is whether or not the additional power (from removing the cats) is worth the excessive noise that your Jaguar will then make. I would say definitely not worth it with just intake, exaust, ect. If the car were supercharged and well over 320hp(+) then it would be worth it. There is something very comical to me about an X-Type with no cats pushing less than 300hp.

Just out of curiousity, who manufactured the headers?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM

At this moment I am not ready to disclose the source of the headers for personal reasons. I'm in the middle of a project and I don't need someone jumping in and taking over. One thing is for certain- there will be a couple different header options available for the X-type over the next few months.

Header options currently in design-
1. Cat relocating- both front and rear manifolds feed into Y-pipe, which goes into a single, 3" high flow cat located under the car.
2. Twin Turbocharger capable- need I say more? Haven't decided on what flange/turbo to use. Leaning towards garrett T3/T4 hybrids. Lots of options. I'll choose when the time comes.

I am also working on making a full exhaust system which connects to the factory manifolds (which aren't horrible- but defintely not performance oriented) and then collects under the car into a single high-flow cat and then splits again at the rear for dual exhaust like the factory setup. I feel that 2 1/2" piping from each manifold joining together into a 3" pipe, then splitting again into 2- 2 1/2" pipes to the mufflers will be the most cost effective solution without making the car unbearably loud.

Just a side note- I agree that a car with no cats and less than 300hp would be loud, abnoxious, and plain out rediculous. If I were to remove my cats there would definately be resonators installed onto the exhaust to eliminiate the horrible drone.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it a case of the more bhp you produce at the flywheel the more you loose through the transmission?
If so I think the X would go from 290 to around 220-225 at the wheels and not 240ish as mine was rolling roaded at around 241 flywheel and 184 at the wheels so loosing 57bhp.
Re the exhaust.....wouldnt channeling into a single 3" cat cause a bottleneck or would this bottleneck not be of too much concern as you are loosing a cat?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM

No, 3" exhaust piping is capable of flowing enough air to support 600+ hp with a high-flow cat installed.

Right now the biggest bottleneck in the exhaust is the location of the factory cats and the angles at which the exhaust bends to enter/leave these cats. By simply removing the factory cats and installing a single, high-flow unit there should be a lot more power available. Non-turbocharged cars will notice a difference but it will really make a big difference once forced induction is used as turbos move a lot more air.

For those who have interest in turbocharging or supercharging 2.25" piping from the manifolds joining together into 2.75" or 3" for a single cat will work fine. On naturally aspirated cars there needs to be some backpressure for the exhaust to work at peak efficiency. When you introduce turbos into the equation, which I am, then backpressure is evil.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM

As for power loss through the drivetrain- yes, the more power you make, the more you lose. It is not a set percentage but one can say that drivetrain loss goes something like this:

FWD- Roughly 10-15% drivetrain power loss
RWD- Roughly 10-15% drivetrain power loss
AWD- Roughly 18-25% drivetrain power loss

The numbers you posted fit right into that. These are not set in stone, but from my 9 years of modifying cars and watching them get dyno'ed this is the conclusion I've come up with.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome tokaygecko...You talked to racer lately? I remember back in the day when he told us he bought headers...well hopefully we see you around some more! Welcome again!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM

I haven't heard anything. Hopefully he will post his progress in this thread.

As for me, I have an aftermarket clutch company designing a better clutch for the X-type.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hey man just to inform you we haven't heard from the fella in a while...month or 2 perhaps??? We surely miss him and I'm sure Jim does...he and Jim were like brothers on here...drinking buddies for sure! Sucks had a lot of useful information and what not...

Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, we truly lost a great member when he went awol. I only hope that nothing bad has happened to him, especially with him drinking and driving and stuff like that! Then again, we gained another great mod in the process! As for now, since this is Race's thread, I'm going to lock it and he can unlock it when he returns or we'll unlock it once we see his name. If anyone objects to the TEMPORARY closure of this thread, feel free to PM any of us mods and we'll be glad to re-open it!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I hear you there biggie...hopefully nothing like that happened...but I tend to not stick up for drunk drivers...my dad can't work for a living anymore and lost his house he worked his whole life for because some a-hole had to drink and drive...he now has his driver's license and his life hasn't changed too much hasn't and wont be paying for my dad losing his life...anyways hopefully race comes back sometime...I find it hard for him to just leave and not say anything to us at all...he would have at least said farewell...btw this is my first thread unlocking...man is it fun!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the world of moderation. Feels good, doesn't it? LOL! Sorry bout your dad, but hopefully nothing like that happened to good ol Race...or Dunhill for that matter. We could go back and forth with the unlocking and locking and have our own little conversations. LOL!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  7.4 KB

Yep.......I miss good loe race too.
He was one of the boys for sure........and yeah he had plenty of good info and what nots too
I'm sure he'll pop in again sometime........maybe when the darker nights come back....lol
Then we'll be up to 4 Mods and have even more laughs.....so it'll all be good!

Jim

Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah for sure biggie! The biggest part I'm sad about is I didn't know he had a R??? I would have bs-ed with him all the time about that car!!! Or am I wrong and he doesn't have an R?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

I'm certain he had an R. He talked about it all he time!

BTW Jimbo, it would be awesome to see him come back and have 4 mods. I just wonder how he's been doin without his check...or is Patrick still sending the check to him? Did you read the e-mail he sent to all the mods? He might start pay-pal'ing the money over to us!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Must have missed that in my inbox...I'll have to message him with my email address for my paypal account!

Oh yeah and that sucks I didn't know he had a R...I would have bs-ed with him even more!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05
I'm certain he had an R. He talked about it all he time!
I just wonder how he's been doin without his check...or is Patrick still sending the check to him? Did you read the e-mail he sent to all the mods? He might start pay-pal'ing the money over to us!
Patrick mailed me yesterday regarding this. Racers cheque stopped once Aquill came on board. I'm sure racer will survive, he's got a few $$$ put away...lol
Due for the annual bonus soon too....Faqs x new members x time online = $$$$

Jim

Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Faqs x new members x time online = $$$$
AHHH, I could see how this new formula would LARGELY affect Race. Even if he logged in once he would make out all right.

FAQ's(23) x New Members(65 so far in September) x Time Online(0)= Anything x 0 = $0

Sorry racer bud..log on man! LMAO!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys were going out first drinks on me! "Money, money, money, money"

Quick Reply: 300hp finally??