Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAA names X Type one of the 10 worst of the decade

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool Jaguar

Originally Posted by Bus Driver
During the summer I keep both of our garages open because it helps to keep the rest of the house cool. Two friends of ours, a married couple, stopped by to drop something off. I was in the office right above the front door and I heard the husband say...

"Whoa, a Jaguar. They must be doing well".

And the funny thing is no one knows it's a ten year old car. All they see is "Jaguar".
I got stopped by a guy at Auto Zone and he said my car was beautiful and asked what year it was, I said 2003. He couldn't believe the condition. He asked how many miles, I said by the end of the week I should it 26K. He couldn't believe that, so I told him the whole story, which I written her several times. But these cars are eye stoppers. Most people comment on the color of mine, the light blue fits this style very well, IMHO. That's what attracted me to it.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
The X is a fantastic looking car that has aged extremely well, compared to other cars from the same years. If you keep them in good shape, even brand new Audi and BMW owners will drool over your X type, at least that's my experience.
I'm a Jag owner and lover and to be honest, I don't even give X-Types second glances. Well maybe I do just so I can see the leaper. I give more Audi models double takes than I do the X-Type. Sorry

Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
If there so bad, why don't you very seldom see any on a used car lot, or even a Jaguar dealers lot. Do people go and have them crushed? Or do they just drive them and enjoy.
I see them on lots daily. Never on a dealer's lot though. I never bother to check out the prices though, but I do see them quite a bit. However sightings on lots are hardly a way to measure how good a car is. C5s, C6s and new Mustangs are considered to be relatively solid cars and I see them on lots all the time. On the other hand, Chryslers from the 90's and early 2000's are considered to be driving pieces of trash and they are all over those same lots.

I think the reason the X-Types aren't saturating the lots is because there's so few of them out there, relative to many other cars. I see more XKs than I do X-Types. So the less common the car is, the less likely it is to show up on lots. Add to the fact people who buy Jaguars are passionate about their cars. We tend to keep them for extended periods through the good and bad. So while the car may be considered poor, those that own them, still love them. Just a like a Fiero or an ugly baby.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Question Aaa

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
I see them on lots daily. Never on a dealer's lot though. I never bother to check out the prices though, but I do see them quite a bit. However sightings on lots are hardly a way to measure how good a car is. C5s, C6s and new Mustangs are considered to be relatively solid cars and I see them on lots all the time. On the other hand, Chryslers from the 90's and early 2000's are considered to be driving pieces of trash and they are all over those same lots.

I think the reason the X-Types aren't saturating the lots is because there's so few of them out there, relative to many other cars. I see more XKs than I do X-Types. So the less common the car is, the less likely it is to show up on lots. Add to the fact people who buy Jaguars are passionate about their cars. We tend to keep them for extended periods through the good and bad. So while the car may be considered poor, those that own them, still love them. Just a like a Fiero or an ugly baby.
I agree with you 100 percent, same as how many Aston Martin do you see on lots, Mercedes Benz, But you do see lots of Lexus, Infinite on the lots. Oh I also found out AAA survey was for the 2002 model year. I am a member and called the local office and spoke to the manager, explained what was written on the this board. He got back to me and said, you didn't hear this from me, contrary to what the article said about X types in general the survey was based on 02 model year, the rest of the decade the percentage went down, but 02 was so bad it moved the car into the top ten.I don't know if what this guy told me is fact, but he is with AAA and supposedly gave me inside information, but I can't validate what he told me or whether it is correct or not.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
I'm a Jag owner and lover and to be honest, I don't even give X-Types second glances. Well maybe I do just so I can see the leaper. I give more Audi models double takes than I do the X-Type. Sorry
See one reason I love this car is because of all the double takes I get. Its not your run of the mill 3 series, c class, or A4. Its unique and relatively rare, so I get compliments I would never get in those other cars.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Smile Aaa

I owned an Audi A4 with the V6 and optional at the time quattro. Audi is a great car, solid, fast, it had a 5 speed stick and reliable and quiet, as in suspension.
The Jag is different, in some ways it reminds me of the BMW Z Coupe I owned after the Audi. The BMW was very, very fast a I6 in a small car like that was exciting. It had a noisy suspension, like the X, it was rear wheel drive and was OK in the winter, but not that OK. The X is better than the BMW and even better in the Winter than the Audi. Back then Audi AWD system was AWD, no electronic controls for traction and I did do a few slides in the snow unintentionally. As I wrote this past winter my son and I went up a snow and ice covered hill with a 40% grade, my son said it was closer to 50%, But this is a subjective opinion. The X went right up no wheel spin, no sliding, halfway up I stopped, my son thought we would not be able to start up again without sliding all over the road. That didn't happen, the car started going and never spun a wheel or slide. The Audi use to slide, spin etc.
Reliability, I did have some reliability issues and I still have a headlight issue. But when the battery went dead one day and I had it replaced all of the gremlins went away, never to return, except now and then the back up sensors will start to beep with nothing in back of me. I disconnected the battery yesterday for a couple of minutes and then reconnected it to see if that stop the beeping when not needed. I found online a device you plug into your cig lighter. It has a 9 volt battery attached. It keeps enough juice running thru the car so you don't have to do any resets after you disconnect the battery. However you have to pull any fuse that is live with the ignition off. aka interior light, parking lights. As these will drain the 9 volt quickly.

My point the X is a OK car, fun to drive, classic looks, very classic looks and putting all the gremlins aside the engine is reliable, I haven't got stuck yet. Unless my mechanic can't fix the HID headlight, with the repair kit I bought, as I am not spending $1000 for something that is poorly designed I plan to hang on to the X for awhile. I like head turners and the X is a head turner. If I have to replace the headlight I'll need to go to a local supplier of hard to find parts. (chop, chop) this is Chinese for lets go by the way.