X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, Engine light, random probs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ABS, Engine light, random probs...

Ok, I know I replied back to my intro with some of this, but made a new thread here, to go a little more detailed.

--- previous post ---
Went from a ABS light to, no cruise light (yea looked up and found this is normal with engine probs), then to over heat (not slow either, it just like 2 seconds maxed out), then car just dies. Shut it off and starts right back up, after driving another 10mins does exact something. So this is going to be interesting, also managed to find ALOT of previous custom stereo wiring in the car, so I'm sure someone has screwed up something since jag's seem to be very unforgiving to custom audio (unless done correctly).
---

So after before all this overheating and dying started, the yesterday I put a cheapo code reader on it, because driving home after buying it the engine light came on. (paid cash, no warranty, no biggie, I like, I'll fix it)

This is what it gave me...

1 of 4 ($18) P1603
2 of 4 ($28) C1145
3 of 4 ($11) P1000
4 of 4 ($28) C1145

I know this was a cheapo reader, so now that all this other stuff is going on, I plan on firing up my laptop and seeing if I have any software that can make heads or tails outta this jag's computer. I have an ELM327 Interface USB cable that I'm hoping should work with it. Also going to find a jag' dealer around here and see if it has been fixed with all the service problems reported because I know I can hear what sounds like either drive shaft or rear differential whine, hard to tell though which. Also need to fix the rear trunk, have to go hit it every time I open it because the trunk light stays on.

Well I'll continue to update on this thread until all these problems are fixed. Anyone have any ideas about type of software to use with my interface cable? or anyway to re-flash the computer?

Oh, here's my first pic of it!

...randall

Attached Thumbnails ABS, Engine light, random probs...-sajea51c32wc59790_9.jpg  

Last edited by Randallc79; 02-08-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

C1145 DSCCM Dynamic stability control RH front wheel speed sensor circuit fault

POSSIBLE CAUSES
RH front wheel speed sensor circuit: open circuit, short circuit to B+ V,
short circuit to ground

P1603 TRANS OBD II TCM EEPROM failure

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Battery disconnected while the ignition is
switched ON
B+ power supply circuit: open circuit
TCM failure

Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bud Tender
C1145 DSCCM Dynamic stability control RH front wheel speed sensor circuit fault

POSSIBLE CAUSES
RH front wheel speed sensor circuit: open circuit, short circuit to B+ V,
short circuit to ground

P1603 TRANS OBD II TCM EEPROM failure

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Battery disconnected while the ignition is
switched ON
B+ power supply circuit: open circuit
TCM failure
The front wheel speed sensor, could be a problem for sure, right now the steering is off bad enough I have to take it this weekend to be aligned.

as far as the other, any ideas how to fix an EEPROM failure?

Last edited by Randallc79; 02-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I'd like to know how you can read C codes with a cheapo reader - did the guy who sold you the reader appear out of an old oil lamp?
Here's a thread on wheel sensors
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-failure-3197/
Odd random fault codes are often due to a failing battery - get it checked at an autoparts store JIC.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
I'd like to know how you can read C codes with a cheapo reader - did the guy who sold you the reader appear out of an old oil lamp?
Here's a thread on wheel sensors
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-failure-3197/
Odd random fault codes are often due to a failing battery - get it checked at an autoparts store JIC.
I bought this reader on sale at autozone for like $99 a few months ago to check the engine codes on my Expedition. It's a Actron (autoscanner) CP9575, with usb cable and latest firmware upgrade. I honestly didn't even know if it would read this jaguar's ECM but after I hooked it up, it prompted me in some menu for european car, then jaguar, then year, etc... after that it gave me that list of codes.

I'm leaning more towards failing battery, this weekend I got under the hood and found that it has a brand new battery installed not even a month old. Along with a bunch of other little things.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Well definitely need to find some software that can read this car's ECM from a laptop. The USB to ELM327 worked fine and saw it, but didn't have any software that would work correctly with it.

Had cleared those codes the hand held reader gave me, just to get a fresh set or see if they repeated. And sure enough got these..

P0116
P0430
P0420
P1000

Fixes done this weekend...

* Cleaned the MAF sensor
* Changed Coolant temp sensor
* Changed clogged air filter with an K&N air filter

reset ECM and ran it for about 50 miles and so far no more engine codes, but gonna give a few days of driving to call it good.

Also found that someone had tore out the factory speakers in the doors and installed some 6-1/2" Dual DS-Series 2-ways (walmart crap speakers).
So when to a local audio shop and bought some 6-1/2" Polk Audio DXi-6500 (components), right now running them off the factory head unit. Managed to have time to install the front and back passenger side. Next weekend plan on getting the other two doors done. Here are some pics as well.

Attached Thumbnails ABS, Engine light, random probs...-front-passenger-door-tweeter-1.png   ABS, Engine light, random probs...-front-passenger-door-tweeter-2.png   ABS, Engine light, random probs...-front-passenger-door-1.jpg   ABS, Engine light, random probs...-front-passenger-door-2.jpg   ABS, Engine light, random probs...-rear-passenger-door-1.jpg  

ABS, Engine light, random probs...-rear-passenger-door-2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Looks good - you'll need to see a P1111 (all tests complete + passed) soon then you can relax !

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Looks good - you'll need to see a P1111 (all tests complete + passed) soon then you can relax !
Really looking forward to it, been really keeping an eye on it driving to work and back. So far so good, only thing I've noticed I'm going to fix before it becomes a problem is the catalytic converter and O2 Sensors. Mainly cause in the mornings the car is very rough idle and pretty much cranky until it warms up. Plus it just drives like the cat' is clogged up. Today it gave me a P0430 but went away before I got home. So that's my next list of things to change. Also might put on a new dual exhaust but have no idea what would be best for this car/engine setup (ie Performance & Sound).

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM

update:

So took jag' to muffler shop today to find out the cat's are crazy $$$ to change and can't be gutted easily either. But was kinda relived to hear that they were ok and not causing my problems. So broke out my laptop and drove around monitoring the car with PCMscan & ScanXL also a few others just to see if they would work. But pretty much ended up finding a really bad miss-fire in cylinder 3.

So parked the car and popped the hood and started really going over the engine with more detail. So far have found a list of things needing to be fixed and some I still can't find parts for. But here's the list so far. So far only have made it down to spark plugs.

-Throttle Body connector going to throttle missing, the wires were just connected to it with crimp connectors and pushed in plug on TB.

-Vacuum line on top of intake (one on right) the plastic lock that holds it, was broke and it was loose causing a whistling sound.

-Vacuum line going to rear valve cover, not only was broke at valve cover but also broke where it curbs 90deg and held together with heat shrink, the heat shrink and shrunk to point no air was able to go thru.

-Found multiple connectors locks broke.

btw, not sure if this is right but the cylinder order I was going off from.
2002 Jaguar 3.0 V6
1, 3, 5
2, 4, 6

-Found 3 different types of ignition coils, 2 from FoMoCo, 1 from China (this one the boot that cover spark plug wasn't sealed to coil and fell off after I pulled it out, it also didn't make that pop'n sound when you pull the coils, lastly it was the one in cylinder 3), and 3 that looked like the factory originals.

-Found someone installed Bosch Platinum spark plugs, gaped at .040~043 (all 6 were gaped different).

-Also found cylinder 1 coil was loose, tried to see if it would tighten and found the place the screw goes into on the valve cover was stripped out bad enough I just pulled the coil out without have to unscrew it.

So now that I have a list to work on and waiting on parts, should be a fun week. Anyone know of anything else I should check or go ahead and fix while I have it all opened up.

Right now I have 6 Coils ordered, already bought NGK Iridium (gap'd at .054, hope its correct because this spark plugs are a pain in *** to gap without breaking). Also have on order the connect to fix Throttle connection.

Still looking for these vacuum line replacements or fixes and a way to fix that stripped out screw hole on the valve cover.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had alot of the same codes and the no cruise control and ABS lights. It was the vacuum line to the brake booster. I had another vacuum leak that caused it to run rough. Good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jagmom
I had alot of the same codes and the no cruise control and ABS lights. It was the vacuum line to the brake booster. I had another vacuum leak that caused it to run rough. Good luck
yea I found the vacuum leak going to brake booster and also valve cover vent that was broke along with alot of other problems...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Randallc79
update:

So took jag' to muffler shop today to find out the cat's are crazy $$$ to change and can't be gutted easily either. But was kinda relived to hear that they were ok and not causing my problems. So broke out my laptop and drove around monitoring the car with PCMscan & ScanXL also a few others just to see if they would work. But pretty much ended up finding a really bad miss-fire in cylinder 3.

So parked the car and popped the hood and started really going over the engine with more detail. So far have found a list of things needing to be fixed and some I still can't find parts for. But here's the list so far. So far only have made it down to spark plugs.

-Throttle Body connector going to throttle missing, the wires were just connected to it with crimp connectors and pushed in plug on TB.

-Vacuum line on top of intake (one on right) the plastic lock that holds it, was broke and it was loose causing a whistling sound.

-Vacuum line going to rear valve cover, not only was broke at valve cover but also broke where it curbs 90deg and held together with heat shrink, the heat shrink and shrunk to point no air was able to go thru.

-Found multiple connectors locks broke.

btw, not sure if this is right but the cylinder order I was going off from.
2002 Jaguar 3.0 V6
1, 3, 5
2, 4, 6

-Found 3 different types of ignition coils, 2 from FoMoCo, 1 from China (this one the boot that cover spark plug wasn't sealed to coil and fell off after I pulled it out, it also didn't make that pop'n sound when you pull the coils, lastly it was the one in cylinder 3), and 3 that looked like the factory originals.

-Found someone installed Bosch Platinum spark plugs, gaped at .040~043 (all 6 were gaped different).

-Also found cylinder 1 coil was loose, tried to see if it would tighten and found the place the screw goes into on the valve cover was stripped out bad enough I just pulled the coil out without have to unscrew it.

So now that I have a list to work on and waiting on parts, should be a fun week. Anyone know of anything else I should check or go ahead and fix while I have it all opened up.

Right now I have 6 Coils ordered, already bought NGK Iridium (gap'd at .054, hope its correct because this spark plugs are a pain in *** to gap without breaking). Also have on order the connect to fix Throttle connection.

Still looking for these vacuum line replacements or fixes and a way to fix that stripped out screw hole on the valve cover.

Well finally can say at 1:30am, managed to fix all these problems listed. So far after some major computer reset's, she's running smooth. So like before guess I'll give it a few days and see if she's still running good. Then I can go back to focusing on the cosmetics things that need fixing!