Sponsored by:

ABS Module Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Module Question...

Hello all,

Thoughts and advice please...

ABS and Check Engine light came on a few weeks back .... was throwing a c1165 code for a bad ABS sensor.

Pulled the wheel, checked the reluctance ring (it's intact) and cleaned off the sensor end but it didn't clear the code.

Brought it in to a shop I trust and they found there is no current from the ABS module going to the sensor (they tapped into the wire on the harness to check) and have said I need to replace the ABS module.

New one is more than $2k from Jaguar so looking for an alternative in either used or after market. To my thinking, I don't need to replace the pump, just the black Bosch electronics box bolted to it.... correct?

Also... I have a 2004 X type without DSC... if I got a used one from one that had DSC would it be OK? My VIN is in the D793XX range as this seems to matter in looking for a replacement. Will anything need to be reset or flashed when I put a new module in?

Any help from the collective wisdom of the forum would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Inky7; 09-28-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Inky7 (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

There are two locations generally where the signal gets lost.

First, carefully unplug, clean, and replug the connector. A dirty pin is usually the malady.

If that doesn't work, probe at the engine compartment for signal right after the controller. If you have signal there, the easiest fix is to run a new line back to the sensor and tie it into the existing line where you still have signal. Just cut the line, strip some insulation off if the controller end, and solder the new line on at that point. leave the rest of the existring wire disconnected (it is either broken or shorted somewhere along its length).

If you DON'T have a signal at the controller, the issue is most likely a broken solder joint or connection in the controller. That can be remedied, but is a good amount of work to disasssemble and then reassemble the housing (it isn't intended to be opened). Your call as to fixing it or replacing it. I'd fix it, but YMMV!

Inky7 (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Unpluged, used spray on electronic contact cleaner on the pins and plug connections, re-connected and still the same problem.

Going to replace it based on what I've read.... Thanks Dell for the helpful links!

Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

A good source for a used replacement is DrDome a forum member that parts out x-types. Give him a text/call at 484-903-4813. He is quick about shipping and I have over the years bought meny parts from him. Tell avern1 from the forum recommended you call.

Inky7 (09-30-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 AM

All.... quick question I hope someone may have some experience with...

Bought a salvaged ABS unit as per the above (thanks Dell) arrived and it's a complete unit... electronics and pump.

Question is this... are they paired and I need to replace both the pump and electronics as a unit or can I just remove the old black electronics box and install the new one on my existing pump?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

im pretty sureu can replace just the module.
if car has dsc then replacement module needs to come from a car with dsc

Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Quick update on this thread..... Got bad advice from the shop on the bad ABS module... installed the salvaged one without issues but still kept getting the same C1165 code as the original one.

Long story short, traced and tested the connection from the ABS harness back to the sensor and it all checked out.... turned out it was the reluctor ring after all. Was the first thing both I and the shop I took it to checked and and it looked intact. Wasn't until they replaced the the CV end that the original fell apart during disassembly.

Lesson learned.... hope this helps if you have a similar issue