X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Red Brake Lights on -- no error codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Red Brake Lights on -- no error codes

The title may be a little misleading, but hear me out. I'm fixing a 2004 X-Type 3.0L vehicle up for my mother-in-law so that it can pass inspection in NYS and she can get the car back on the road.

Here are the following faults / issues:

1) Fault code P0915 with red transmission light (red gear icon) and a check engine light in instrument cluster (IC). I have replaced the J-Gate shifter to correct this error.
2) Fault codes C1267 and C1155 along with the ABS and Red Brake lights on.
3) Fault code C1414 fault code (incorrect module design level) with the airbag light --> I replaced the restraint control module with one which was appropriate for the VIN of my vehicle. This did not correct the error.

In pursuit of correcting issue #2, C1155 (left front wheel speed sensor) I switched the right and left front wheel speed sensors and found the code switched to C1145 indicating the sensor was the issue. I replaced the faulty sensor. This eliminated the C1267 and C1155 (and C1145) codes. This completely corrected the fault codes in the ABS section of scan.

My issues:
A) despite the correction of the fault codes related to the ABS system, the instrument cluster lights (ABS and Red Parking Brake) remained lit. I drove the car for 3-4 miles thereafter at up to 60mph without any change of the instrument cluster error lights. I am not sure that the ABS braking system is functional but am confused by the persistent lights despite correction of the fault codes.
B) does the Restraint Control Module need to be programmed by Jaguar to get it right?

Any advise on A (especially) or B is greatly appreciated.

Manny Hostin

Old 02-21-2024, 11:52 PM

I failed to mention that the brake fluid was checked and found to be at the appropriate level.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

ehostin, I would first check the parking brake switch in the center console to make sure that it is properly positioned and it is not stuck. Your simple check is to simply unplug the switch. This should cause the light on the dash to go out. If it doesn't, then that indicates that you either have a problem with the wiring between the instrument cluster and this switch or your instrument cluster is having issues. In short, the switch simply applies a ground to a specific point in the instrument cluster to say that the parking brake is engaged. Having the e-brake "engaged" at all tiems may be causing the ABS light too since the car is going it can't control the rear brakes properly.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:33 PM

thank you, Thermo. There does seem to be an issue with the parking brake. Although it seems to be the opposite. The fault / OBD reader notes that the parking brake does not function meaning when it is engaged, it is not picked up by the reader. I actually shorted the wire to ground to see if that did anything but it did not. I thought I checked for continuity with ground in the "resting position (with parking brake disengaged) and saw none. Nothing changed when I engaged the parking brake.

Maybe the issue is a short to ground (and I missed continuity) and what I needed to do is disconnect that wire. I'll disconnect and see if that changes things.

Will report back with results.

When does the parking brake give a yellow light vs. a red light?

Old 02-23-2024, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

If you installed your own ground to the switch and the lights did not change, then you are looking at either a bad wire or a faulty instrument cluster. The instrument cluster is known for cracked solder joints on one of the terminal strips coming into it. So, that may be your next best check You can then insert a ground right at the instrument cluster on this wire and if that doesn't work, then that confirms your p roblem is the instrument cluster.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:27 PM

I have read about the instrument cluster issue as a source of the parking brake issue.

But I thought I also read about the ABS and parking brake lights appearing together from ABS faults /issues. Is that not true? I assumed that was the reason for the brake light.

AS AN UPDATE,
I disconnected the parking brake wire with no change in the IC lights.

I drove the car for an additional mile. This time the fault code C1267 appeared. The IC lights remained the same...

Is it possible that these two lights (red brake and yellow ABS) are UNRELATED from two separate issues?

Or might solving one issue fix both error lights?

Is removing the instrument cluster the proper next step? Could the parking brake (IC) fault cause the ABS module error fault code?

​​​​​​Thanks.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

ehostin, I am thinking you have 2 separate faults. Looking up C1267, that is telling me that your mechanical block for your brakes is having an issue. IT is not able to modulate the pressure for ABS (hence the light) and it is going as far as not being able to control the DSC system. Per the references that I have, that code (C1267) only points to 1 thing and that is the modulator failure. Lets get that resolved and see what we have then.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:10 AM

Thermo, thanks.

My vehicle does not have DSC. I learned this because I had previously ordered the wrong ABS control module which arrived and was larger than mine. That one included DSC.

​I currently have a replacement control module on the way -- also sourced from eBay.

I'll report back once installed.

Manny

Old 03-11-2024, 08:53 AM
Default Update

As an update, I purchased a used abs control module on eBay and installed it. The ABS and red brake lights in the instrument cluster disappeared as did the error code.

Thank you for your help.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:13 PM

The ABS sensors depend on metal rings with what look to be teeth on the back wheels. Mine were rusted beyond redemption and replaced with junkyard parts. Sadly they were only less rusted but enough to make the code go away. Good luck!