X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adhesive recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default adhesive recommendation

Hi, i need to re-attach fabric that A-pillars are wrapped into. The one that was facing east while the car was parked got beat up by sun over the years and is coming off. Any recommendations for the adhesive, I am afraid it will penetrate through the fabric. The car is very light interior. Thank you.

Last edited by reko19; 11-07-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

reko19, in your case, I would be looking for a product called "3M Super 77". It is an upholstery adhesive and you can apply say 2 light coats to the A- pillar cover and 1 to the fabric and then apply the fabric to the pillar piece. This should do what you are after and you should even be able to pull the fabric back off and remove any wrinkles should you need to do that. Granted, you are only going to have about 5 minutes of work time once you start spraying. So, you won't have all day to play with it. It is a pro and a con all in the same statement.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 3m adhesive already for the same job. I was hoping I could re-use the same fabric, but reading other posts on this, people have been using new fabric in place. Any know if it is possible or absolutely requires new fabric?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

ian20x, it really depends on how much the fabric is stretched and if there are any stains or whatnot on the fabric. I used the adhesive to reattach my headliner back in the day with no issues. Big thing is you need to spray some on to both surfaces and let the adhesive get a little tacky before you start pushing stuff together.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the reply. 3M 77 is exactly what I had in mind. I am planning to start with the old fabric, if that doesn't work I could always remove it and go with new.

UPDATE:
worked like a charm, very pleased with the results. Old fabric, just have to be careful not to create creases as it is being applied.

Last edited by reko19; 11-08-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm too late for you, you already done it, but I still write this just in case it would help other members; I've not done the head liner, but I soon will, but I've recovered A pillar for few time; The factory were too skim on material, they cut the fabric just enough edge to edge, when the glue deteriorated the edge came off, so when I do mines, if the fabric only peeled at the edge, I ran a strip of clear Silicon sealant along the edge and pressed the fabric toward the edge and let it dry, not one peeled of yet. If it it peeled so bad, I just buy the new fabric (the fabric is cheap and it not need much), cut it extra wide to fold in both sides of the edge, run a strip of clear Silicon sealant along one inside edge, press the extra fabric in and let it dry before you spray 3M, now lay the A pillar cover face up, turn open the fabric like open book and spray both the cover and under side of fabric the same time, wait for glue to feel tacky the fold the fabric over the cover, stretch tight, run another strip of clear Silicon sealant along side the other edge then fold the extra fabric to the inside, install it to cover the A pillar. Guaranty you never see it peel again.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 AM

wouldn't silicon sealer penetrate and show through the fabric?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't use silicone sealant for anything that you don't need silicone rubber for.
Nothing sticks to it after it dries. You can never get it completely off any surface.
Once you use it you are committed for life.

Mind you, it is great stuff. Just be aware of it's properties.

Pete.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Note that I said: a thin stripe inside edge of the cover, the fold the extra fabric inside.