X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market warranty (prop shaft)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After market warranty (prop shaft)

I have a 02 x type 2.5 manual 54K km and I have determined I need to have my prop shaft replaced. i called my after market warranty and it seems like they are trying anything to avoide having to pay for the repair. Here is a link to my warranty. i have the gold plus package. Can anyone please determine if the prop shaft should be covered?

http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/other.php?item=8

Thanks,

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: After market warranty (prop shaft)

It didn't come right out and say it was or was not covered. Actually that coverage statement is a little vague regarding AWD and componets. Usually if it is not explicitly covered, then you are SOL. My replacement was covered by PrimusCare warranty, but they are not the same.

Probably would carry more weight with the warranty company if your service manager called.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM

Well in fair defense I have not gotten the car checked out by a mechanic... it was more of a self diagnostic from the forums. The warranty place is providing me with a free inspection which I will get done on Saturday. I will see what the mechanic says.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From experience, just last week to be exact, i had a few repairs done on my 2003 jaguar x-type. When i bought the car it had pre existing problems such as an oil leak and the ac compressor was dieing. I found it cheaper to just get an extended warranty in the long run. I had gotten continental warranty, which after purchasing the plan I read horrible reviews about the company. But never the less after waiting a few months and a about 1200 miles, i decided to get the ac fixed and take care of the problems. I took the car to a good mechanic about 90 minutes from where i live, and he TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING. All i did was scan my warranty card and policy number. And he did a quick inspection and then contacted the warranty folk and had an inspector come out the next day. He found out that my Water pump was leaking, that was covered too. So i didnt even have to talk to the warranty people, he took care of every single bit of it. Next time i have a problem, i will deffinately take the car to him even though it so far away. So if i were you, i would have the mechanic call in because they must know how to get the warranty folk to cough up that cash!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr.xtype

Well in fair defense I have not gotten the car checked out by a mechanic... it was more of a self diagnostic from the forums. The warranty place is providing me with a free inspection which I will get done on Saturday. I will see what the mechanic says.
Is this inspection to be done by a company selected by the warranty company? Be wary of what they tell you if so. Since this is more of a noise complaint and could have a subjective quality, and not something super obvious (like a leaking water pump), you may have a bit of a fight. Hopefully not, but if you don't like what you hear, go to your Jaguar Dealer. They will also handle your warranty company and would be more familiar with the issue.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:01 PM

Yes I am going to get the car inspected Saturday morning and we will see what happens fromt here. i will keep you posted on Monday.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: gupdah

I had gotten continental warranty, which after purchasing the plan I read horrible reviews about the company. But never the less after waiting a few months and a about 1200 miles, i decided to get the ac fixed and take care of the problems. I took the car to a good mechanic about 90 minutes from where i live, and he TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING. All i did was scan my warranty card and policy number. And he did a quick inspection and then contacted the warranty folk and had an inspector come out the next day. He found out that my Water pump was leaking, that was covered too. So i didnt even have to talk to the warranty people, he took care of every single bit of it. Next time i have a problem, i will deffinately take the car to him even though it so far away. So if i were you, i would have the mechanic call in because they must know how to get the warranty folk to cough up that cash!
My father-in law has a continental warranty for his ram van. He's had it fixed many of times now but some things aren't fully covered on his van. His mechanic (family friend) dealt with the warranty company from beginning to end. He however did complain and said they are a pain in the ****! Not to mention they pay what they want (just like any insurance company would!) I'm pretty sure all they'd pay was like $30 an hour. Oh well, at least the warranty pretty much paid for itself.

Mr. Xtype-if the warranty company is giving you troubles keep pushing til your helped. Squeaky wheel gets the grease! I'd imagine that it should be covered! Your basic powertrain warranty should cover this.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Well I took my car in Saturday mornign to Amco Transmission, the place the warranty people told me to take it for a free inspection. The tech said he herd the noise while driving and when he put it up on the hoist he didnt hear it. Hewas a pretty stand up guy when he said "I honestly dont knwo what it is, I dont want to say its"this" justto get you to spend money. If I had to guessit could be a lower gear or bearing in the engine". He basically said just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse go to Jaguar.

Well I was still nto convinced so I went to my mechanic and he put the car up on the hoist with me in it driving while he was under and he said flat out.. its your drive shaft. So now Monday I gotta call the warranty people and tell them what happened and see where it goes.

I had my dad read through the list of covered items from my warranty, I have the platinum plus plan (viewed here) http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/other.php?item=10

and he says it should be covered in section C under main shafts. What do you guys think? If I have to argue this out do I have a valid argument? or am I SOL?

Thanks,

Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

IMO that should surely be covered as even a powertrain warranty would cover it. Your paperwork you have on the warranty should be much more detailed than the website will tell.

If they don't cover it I know for a fact that the driveshaft swap is about as easy as could be. Took the GMC dealer I was at 1/2 hour or less to swap it. The cost for it I think was $1200 and I think the dealer paid jag around $800. I'd imagine your mechanic couldn't charge you more than $100 or $200 for it.

Also I thought you had the Gold plus package?

Try telling them that the problem is powertrain related and how does a powertrain warranty not cover it???

Try biotching at the dealer where you bought the car/warranty at and say it's bs how the warranty more or less covers nothing.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes I thought I did have the gold but I actually had the platinum. I was looking at old paper work. Now looking under section C number 1, I think the main shaft would be covered, but then again its questionable because it is under front wheel drive vehicles and the jag is AWD and I do have the AWD package on the warranty. I called the warranty people today and now they want me to take it to another mechanic for diagnostic. I assume its because the first place didnt give a detail as to what is wrong. Now I am playing the waiting game again... I will keep you posted.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll have a major problem with the driveshaft so at least you won't have to worry about that. Mine made a noise when I went forward and reverse (slowly.) It was similar in sound to having a rim that is loose, nobody would notice it except I'm **** about sounds. Luckily it was the same day I bought the car and the gm dealer fixed it.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Serviceshield. Just had A/C compressor and Aux fan assy replaced. Shop took care of everything. Inspector came to look at aux fan and he was the one that noticed compressor leaking. First time having to use an extended warranty and all went smooth...(once you get past the ditz brains that take the initial call). Glad I dished out the $2100.00 for warranty, because I just used up close to that amount with the parts & labor