X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air After 15 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air After 15 Minutes

The A/C on my 04 X-Type is kinda messed up. After about 15 minutes of blowing nice cool air, the air flow becomes hot.

I'm assuming that I have a leak somewhere in the works, but if that were the case, wouldn't I get NO cool air? Is it possible to have a leak somewhere that only partially depletes my charge? Any ideas on where I should begin my search?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM

yeeeeeeesh!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Does your A/C blow cold only when the engine is cold? If so, you may have a problem with the air control doors. Specifically, chilled air from the evaporator may be getting directed through the heater core. When the engine is cold, the heater core adds no heat; however, as the engine warms up, more and more heat is added.

You could also check that the compressor isn't turning off (after running normally for 15 minutes) due to low pressure. A low refrigerant charge condition could result in freezing of the evaporator, which further reduces the low-side pressure.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Yes, it only blows cold when the engine isn't hot. How do I go about checking out this scenario?

I have tried adding refrigerant (the colored stuff that you're supposed to see if it leaks) and didn't find an obvious leak, and I didn't experience improved performance with the additional juice, so I'm inclined to think it's the first scenario you identified.

Tell me more...

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

firt you never JUST ADD freon, the problem your experiancing on Xtypes is normally a post evaporator temp sensor the is out of range And shuts off the ac cause it "thinks" the eva is freezing. The therissue is the recirc door is broken open so it sucks it hot outside air. You can verify this by removing the pollen filter and starting the car, turn the ac on and the recirc door so it closes. Then if you can see the ac blower fan instead of the door its broken. You can break out a couple pieces of the mesh behind the pollen filter and reach up and pull the door closed. It'll stay closed after that, nd recirc cold air. theseare common issues but doesntmeen theyre yours. Try these and then have it professionally checked out, ad never add freon with knowing a charge, youll just overcharge a system and cause it to not cool from too much freon as well. The system only holds 1.8pounds

The following users liked this post:
Jac (07-09-2012)
Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MarkC
Does your A/C blow cold only when the engine is cold? If so, you may have a problem with the air control doors. Specifically, chilled air from the evaporator may be getting directed through the heater core. When the engine is cold, the heater core adds no heat; however, as the engine warms up, more and more heat is added.

You could also check that the compressor isn't turning off (after running normally for 15 minutes) due to low pressure. A low refrigerant charge condition could result in freezing of the evaporator, which further reduces the low-side pressure.
Forgive my ignorance...are the air control doors the same as the recirc/blend doors? The recirc doors seem to be functioning fine (when I turn off recirc, the fan sounds much louder). This happens, in varying degrees when I switch on/off recirc and when I change the face/foot/windshield options). I've read about problems with the X and the recirc doors...that does not seem to be my prob. If the air control doors are different from the recirc doors, please tell me how to check them.

Again, thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Cheers!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issues. Went through 2 summers and never figured it out. I think I may have posted a thread or two as well about it. So I'm anxious to know exactly what causes this even tho I no longer have the car.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the temp sensor is most likely..
By the way dont be a dork and use refrigerant if you dont know what you are doing.
the environment is bad enough with skilled people messing around.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

And don't sniff it either. Bad for the brain cells.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue with mine. Eventually one day the large fuse inside the engine compartment blew and after that it worked properly after the fuse was replaced. To me it seems really odd, but you should already know that is the way things work on a jag!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by the chris x
and don't sniff it either. Bad for the brain cells.
uh oh

Old 04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
uh oh
Is that what happened!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once bought one of those $15 refrigerant cans that have a gauge on it and are supposed to stop filling when your refrigerant is full. Used it on my minivan, and it worked like a charm. A/C was ICE cold. I was scared to do that on my jag so took it to dealer, charged $350.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I bought one for the jag as well. After putting the gauge on the car though it read full. Chances are your refrigerant is full and there is a problem elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM

My 06 did this. I took it to the dealer and they found that the inducer fan had failed. It was replaced under warranty, and, I had no more problems with the A/C.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inducer fan???

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Inducer fan - the little fan inside the dash that directs air to the sensors for the A/C system. You know - the fan that makes the humming noise in the dash when you shut the car off.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Try tapping on the dash a few times and see what happens!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM

I needed a good laugh. Anyway - my X is gone - traded her for an S Type a few months back.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Problems 2002 X-type 3.0

After reading all possible forums about the A/C issue where the drivers’ side air blows warm and the passenger blows cold, I have tried every possible "home remedy" like switching the R6 with R8 fuses in the engine, I have checked all flaps and they are in working conditions, and took it to the Jaguar dealer and they said it was a flap problem and that the condenser needs to be replaced.

I have a question, I removed the blower inside the cabin and checked for recirc flap which, as I mentioned before, is working, I checked the other flaps that divide the Heat from the cold... and is also working great, I looked at it as it moves and completely shuts.

now ran another test and I put my hand in front of the evaporator when it was blowing and I could feel that half of the airflow through the evap was warm and half was cold???. ..

There are no flaps behind the evap that divides the airflow. Seems like the freon is running only through half of the evap???

Does this sound familiar???

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air After 15 Minutes