X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air After 15 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I can't help, someone should be able to answer that soon...brutal?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG..... with the warm weather now this problem is happening with my X-Type too, the air-conditioner is blowing ice cold for about 15min and then it starts blowing warm. If I turn the a/c on or off it makes no difference, but when I turn the car off and start it again it blows cold for another 15min ??!!??!!?? Is this the same problem???? BTW the engine is warm/hot, makes no difference....
AHHHHHHHHH!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A/C in general sucks on the x-type too I realized. Even when it was new, it didn't blow ice cold where it could freeze you. My others cars do this.

Take it into the dealer when its blowing warm and show the service writer. They can help ID the problem right away usually.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't think of any car that I haven't had problems with the a/c, although my mountaineer, f150, thunderbird and escape never had problems. My monte carlo, bonneville and phoenix either didn't work or were weak.

My x-type a/c didn't work a few times and it sucked, hope you guys get it figured out. I know mine quit working in August on the worst possible day.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Yea last summer during summer school my car SUCKED. Black leather sitting outside for 4 hrs on 90+ degree days. I couldn't even sit in the car. I had to reach in, start the car, drop all 4 windows, wait outside for 2-3 mins, and then get in. Then A/C was useless anyways so i would sweat all while driving. After having it recharged it is acceptable, but still sucks. I've noticed that it's not efficient enough to stay cold when temps outside go above 85-90 degrees. When its 70-85, it works fine.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Your first post was to bump an almost year old thread...lol

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Master Deep; 02-22-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can prop open the flaps yourself for free..... honestly.. what crooks

Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Andy 1967

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I read this chain with interest because my X-type has the same fault. Air con blows cold for about 15 minutes and then stops. You can do what you like, but the air con will not blw cold again, unless you leave the car long enough to let the engine cool down. Bingo you can have cold air con again until engine warms up.

Before anyone suggests, yes I have had the system checked for leaks and recharged (twice).

Has anyone managed to fix this issue with their X-type?

I did read somewhere else that because the engine radiator is getting hot it heats up the ac condenser as they almost touch. This will heat the gas in the ac system causing it's pressure to rise. This rise in pressure could cause the gas high pressure switch to trip out the compressor. This may be due to a number of reasons one of which would be a faulty switch.

My last Jag was a 30 year old XJ6 and the Air Con on that was colder than just about any car I've been in, would have kept if it hadn't been for the water disolvable body work .

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi New to this forum,I have a similar problem with my Ac the compressor starts and stops but the fans to cool the condenser run intermittently? when I drive the car with the air con on it will eventually start to work and work well and the condenser fans work again, So the way I see it is there is a sensor switch somewhere that is suppose to turn the fans on and it is the cause? Please help.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ulster49
Hi New to this forum,I have a similar problem with my Ac the compressor starts and stops but the fans to cool the condenser run intermittently? when I drive the car with the air con on it will eventually start to work and work well and the condenser fans work again, So the way I see it is there is a sensor switch somewhere that is suppose to turn the fans on and it is the cause? Please help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update-------- Just checked the freon pressure and it is at the correct pressure! but what I found was the radiator condenser fans did not come on so the compressor would shut off when the condenser pressure got too hot this would just repeat until the fans eventually clicked on and then everything would work correctly bringing the incoming air down to 9C which is great.
My problem now is the rad fans are working every time I start the car
and I can not continue to trouble shoot the problem, However I did unplug the electrical connection at the temp sensor and clean the connections I wonder if that could have been the problem will keep you posted .

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Exclamation A/C now working

I hate it when people don't update when they get the problem fixed, so here goes.

I took the car to local Jaguar Dealer and asked them to investigate various possible causes mentioned in this thread. However, in my cars case it turns out there was a leak of freon and oil from the compressor. The A/C would only run for 15 minutes because the compressor was over heating without oil and then stopping.

Please don't ask how much spent.

Lessons learnt; check compressor for oil leaks. Test drive cars with A/C on.

On the bright side the A/C did cool me down on the way back from the Dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Thanks for the update, at least you're cool now, and a bit poorer.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Has anyone tried this? It worked for me. Nice cold air again. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...b00183nas1-pdf

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
firt you never JUST ADD freon, the problem your experiancing on Xtypes is normally a post evaporator temp sensor the is out of range And shuts off the ac cause it "thinks" the eva is freezing. The therissue is the recirc door is broken open so it sucks it hot outside air. You can verify this by removing the pollen filter and starting the car, turn the ac on and the recirc door so it closes. Then if you can see the ac blower fan instead of the door its broken. You can break out a couple pieces of the mesh behind the pollen filter and reach up and pull the door closed. It'll stay closed after that, nd recirc cold air. theseare common issues but doesntmeen theyre yours. Try these and then have it professionally checked out, ad never add freon with knowing a charge, youll just overcharge a system and cause it to not cool from too much freon as well. The system only holds 1.8pounds
Thanks, I just tried that and the door was stuck open. Instead of breaking out the mess I just got a piece of stiff wire and put a little hook on the end reached in and pulled it shut. Now I have nice cold air, even when it's idling.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM

I have the same problem of switching from cold to hot. Today I had to go on a two hour trip and I set the temp to LO and the recir on and used the fan speed to regulate the amount of air and it never went hot and the two hours was cold the whole time. I had to turn it off once because it was a little to cold but fine again after I turned it back on. Also I had the auto off.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ulster49
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update-------- Just checked the freon pressure and it is at the correct pressure! but what I found was the radiator condenser fans did not come on so the compressor would shut off when the condenser pressure got too hot this would just repeat until the fans eventually clicked on and then everything would work correctly bringing the incoming air down to 9C which is great.
My problem now is the rad fans are working every time I start the car
and I can not continue to trouble shoot the problem, However I did unplug the electrical connection at the temp sensor and clean the connections I wonder if that could have been the problem will keep you posted .
and no radiator fan operation is yet another cause

Old 05-20-2023, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by sswarden
The A/C on my 04 X-Type is kinda messed up. After about 15 minutes of blowing nice cool air, the air flow becomes hot.

I'm assuming that I have a leak somewhere in the works, but if that were the case, wouldn't I get NO cool air? Is it possible to have a leak somewhere that only partially depletes my charge? Any ideas on where I should begin my search?
My 2006 3L X-Type does the same, it starts blowing warm air after about 15 mins. After switching the engine off though for about 1 min it blows cold again for another 15 mins. It has no leaks that the garage could find.

Last edited by Geoff Collins; 05-20-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

What are your engine temperatures when you have cold air versus hot air? I’m thinking your heater control valve is not functioning easy because it’s broken or because the climate control module is broken and what you’re seeing is nice cold air when your engine is nice and cool but getting hot air once the engine heats up and the hot coolant flows into the heater box

Old 05-22-2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
What are your engine temperatures when you have cold air versus hot air? I’m thinking your heater control valve is not functioning easy because it’s broken or because the climate control module is broken and what you’re seeing is nice cold air when your engine is nice and cool but getting hot air once the engine heats up and the hot coolant flows into the heater box
My engine temp is the same all the time, normal running temp.

It's like clockwork, after starting the engine it blows cold after about 30 seconds and does so for the next 10 to 15 mins when it blows warm air again. I stop the car again, wait for about 30secs to a minute then it blows cold again.

The cycle just repeats over and over again.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air After 15 Minutes