X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Clutch departure

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Clutch departure

Cutting to the chase, I had reason to go looking at the A/C system in my 03 X-type 2.5 auto last October. I was shocked to find out that the clutch had fallen off, then in research, I found this forum and joined.

Since I have other cars and multiple kids in college, I just left the car in the garage when the Wx turned warm for the summer. But now I'm about ready to do something about it and have some questions for the wiz guys that I've read on these boards. Apologies if this is old ground, but a search didn't show much new on this topic in over a year.

It appears that I am not going to easily find a clutch by itself, so I am thinking the next most frugal repair will be to purchase a used or rebuilt compressor and cannibalize the clutch from it. (I really don't want to open the refrig circuit on a system that was cooling well, if I can help it.) So, with that in mind, has anyone done that scope? Did you find a Lincoln LS compressor, or just get one as a Jaguar part? Is there any kind of clutch plate from pully clearance spec that has to be obeyed on reassembly, and if so, is this done with shims?

Any experiences shared on this job would be fantastic, and thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have no personal experience with this job; however, per this site, it looks like the X type (2.5 and 3.0) and Lincoln LS 3.0 engine use the same A/C compressor...

http://www.discountacparts.com/addto...~60-00797.asp#

You'll probably have an easier time finding a clutch for the Lincoln LS (V6). Maybe a Lincoln dealer or a compressor rebuilder might have a clutch laying around (e.g., still attached to a dead compressor). Otherwise EBAY has a few used and rebuilt compressors for the LS V6 listed right now.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Default Same story here

SeTex,

My 2004 just started making this awful grinding sound and my inspection of the serpentine bent and pulleys led me to a faulty a/c clutch assembly as well. The grinding was due to the fact that the clutch had not completely fallen off but rather 2 of the 3 connection points had come loose so it is well on it's way. Like you I have done an exhaustive search for just the pulley/clutch mechanism and have had no such luck. My compressor works just fine and I also see no need to open the a/c system if I do not need to. I would love to just put on a cannibalized pulley/a/c clutch assembly. I found a very inexpensive rebuild at the following site

http://www.discountacparts.com/addto...~60-00797.asp#

Did you complete this job yet? If so, any advice you could pass along would be GREATLY appreciated. I am very mechanically inclined but you know how it is, every job is a little different. What did you have to do to remove the clutch assembly? Was it as simple as removing the nut on the center of the pulley? That seems like its too good to be true. Thanks my friend!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM

2004 -

I indeed finally did order a rebuilt compressor from those same folks. It looks really good. I have not yet attempted the job, mainly because I just haven't had time. My main concern right now is how to hold backup on the spare compressor internals so that I can untorque the central hold-down nut. It may be indeed quite simple, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I will post back when I finally get to it, hopefully the Labor Day weekend coming up.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Default The Devil was in one detail.

2004xtype3.0, this update might be for you.

I had almost zero luck on the cannibalization job. Nice compressor from the acdiscount web place, but as luck would have it, the replacement compressor & clutch have a blank (wide) spline to act as a key (why, I can't imagine; there's no timing issue). And the existing compressor has no keyed spline, just teeth all the way around. Thus, the clutch will NOT fit on the old compressor splined shaft. So I put it back on the replacement compressor (and used RED Locktite on the center nut!). Now I will just replace the whole thing, if I can figure out what weight and how much PAG oil to add to the replacement compressor before I bolt it on. I really hate going into a decent refrigeration system.

Just a note, it looked like there were slight differences in the inner and outer clutch plate heights on the original compressor, where the replacement compressor was pretty much flat all the way across. Probably wouldn't have carried torque well with the new clutch on the old compressor anyway. Everything else looks like a direct fit. Hope you have better luck.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Just posting an update for future searchers.

According to the book at O'Reilly, the compressor takes 7.5 oz of 100 wt. PAG oil. Just pour it in and try not to lose too much when lifting the compressor up to the engine side mount.

Pull a good vacuum & do a purge or two. 28 oz of R-134a. Works fine now.