X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Season tire help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All Season tire help

I have a 02 2.5 x type with stock rims and my tires are 205/55/16. I need to replace 3 out of my 4 tires because I have steel belts which shifted and is causing all kinds of viberations. I am looking to buy 4 new tires and I am looking for the best bang for my buck. I want to spend no more than $500 and I was wondering what is the best all season tire in my price range to get?

Right now I have continentals (the origional ones) that the car came with. I personally hate continentals because every car I have ever owned has come with them and I always have rapid tire wear or steel belt issues. My mom reccomended going with michelins because way back in the day she used to own a 1991 Toyota Tercel and she would drive a good 30K km a year and she said hers lasted about 5 years. I think she may be mistaken because I doubt a tire could go 150K km but then again I could be wrong.

Does anyone know of a good place to go where I can get a good price in the toronto area? I also thought about crossing over to buffalo to buy tires. If anyone knows of a good place in the states they can refer me to I would appreciate it. I am looking to buy tires within the week.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I know you wish to avoid Continential, but I have ContiExtremeContacts on my 07 Saab turbo - great all season tire. I wanted something with a lean toward foul weather traction rather than summer grip, and these fit the bill. Not that expensive either. A little noisy, but not too bad. Wear has not been a problem at all.

I bought them from Tirerack.com.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on my S-type. Nice smooth ride and noise is almost non-existant. It is like driving on rails. These babies stick. Paid $125ea

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II Technology is the Ultra High Performance All-Season member of Bridgestone’s Potenza family of performance tires for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans. The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is designed to provide year-round driving flexibility by offering predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow.
The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position features Bridgestone’s UNI-T AQII Technology, which uses advanced compound and construction features to enhance and preserve wet traction through the tire’s life. It molds a dual-layer, all-season tread compound into a directional design to provide stability on dry roads while its grooves help pump water and slush through the tire's footprint to increase hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction. Scalloped multi-edge lateral grooves on the leading edge of each tread block and multiple sipes in each tread block increase the number of biting edges to enhance wet road and light snow traction. The tire's structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon, along with a carcass reinforced by a hard sidewall filler between polyester cord plies to help resist distortion at high speeds and while cornering.

`2 ``97% `8.4 `8.8 `8.9 `8.8 `9.1 ``8.8 `7.5 `6.5 ``6.8 `8.8 `8.7 `8.7 `7,442,429

Treadlife Warranty40,000 miles
Uniformity WarrantyFirst 1/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty5 Years - Free replacement up to 3 yrs. Pro rated 4th and 5th year or to 2/32" remaining tread.
Manufacturer's Road Hazard WarrantyNoneManufacturer Warranty
BrochureDownload PDF
Manufacturer Special Warranty30 Day Buy & Try Guarantee
Overall Tire Warranty Rating*

Last edited by jfenley; 06-10-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I have right now, although mine are 17s instead of 16s :
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...pc=KU25%2D8984

Very satisfied so far.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Severn I was looking at www.tirerack.com and your tires were not rated too well. But when I look at the rating which you posted they look very good. Looking at the general tires here is what tire rack had to say.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

Anyone ever put these tires on there car? Also where can I go to get a cheaper price. If I buy them off line I will have to pay $90 USD for shipping then mounting and balancing. I rather go directly to a shop to get them.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM

I sent you the 1010tires link because they are in Canada, but I got mine from wheelsnext.com. It is free shipping, even to Canada. Free mounting and balancing also if you buy wheels but that is not your case. I just had to wait an extra week before getting them ; they were stuck at the border because Wheelsnext did not fill the custom papers correctly.

When I placed my order I actually wanted something else that showed as being in stock online, but that wasn't actually in stock. So they offered to replace them with the Kumho Ecsta AST. They said they are good tires for the price.

So far I am not disappointed. If you look at the negative comments, most people rate them low because they say they are not very good in snow. Those comments are made by our fellow Americans who expect all-season tires to get their cars through a foot of unexpected snow. But that is pointless for us as we are forced to use winter tires. I can only speak from my own experience and I am by no mean an expert. What I can say is that I had the stock Pirelli before the Kumho and not only do the Kumho drive as well, but they look better.

I only have about 2000 km on them so it's still early, but I like them so far.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Mr....Michelins last so well cos they are a really hard compound that last for ages but have very little grip...Its a trade off.
I've run Pirellis for years and love em, especially in the wet, great grip. I've had 2 or 3 sets of Conti Sport Contact 2's and also impressed. Currently running the Bridgestone Potennza's as per Jfenleys recomendation. Good tyre that grips well, last well and is quite queit too, so its all good.
There's a few topics like this and you'll always get a hundred dofferent answers from different members...down to you in the end though.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had Bridgestone 960AS for last 25,000 miles or so. BEST ALL-SEASON TIRES EVERRRR! It is closer to a summer compound so it isn't as good in snow compared to the stock contis.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

mr.x type, i would go with something like this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

these are really good tires at a really good price.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Those are high performance summer tires. I am lookign for all season tires because I live in Canada and need to drive in snow. I actually picked up a set of General Altimax HP tires from Canadian tire during fathers day weekend. I got a cupon in the mail for $10 off when you spend $50 or more and the tires were buy 1 get the second for half off.

So me being the cheap guy I am I went over to my neighbours house and got his coupon as well and went intot he store twice and got a total of $20 off. Pretty decent its liek getting free balancing.

The tires are good, so far I have driven 3K Km on them and they seem alright, pretty quitet, not bad for road noise... the main test will be in the winter to see hwo they handle up.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

oh my bad, i did not think of the fact that you need all season tires. but good luck with those general tires.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 AM

I know you got your tires, but I always put my vote in for Pirellis. Always had an overall great experience with them.