X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternate Parts?

I heard jaguar parts are very similar and/or the same in certain areas as to the lincoln vehicles. My only question is what class/model?

Where I am going with this is, I was wondering if there were alternate parts for calipers and rear control arms for the jag. Reason being is there are not many parts in the auto catalog for jags at local stores. And last time I bought calipers online, the shipping costs gave me a heart attack due to its weight.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Adjustable rear control arms from an volvo s40 (made by ford at the time) fit our cars. The problem with the calipers is that the lincoln ls and the stype are essentially the same car. However, the xtype doesn't really have a sister vehicle. That means that things like the ac compressor will be the same on lincoln vehicles, but calipers will not due to them being manufactured specifically for the xtype body. When I had my calipers go out, I bought them used on ebay for $35 shipped to my door.

The following users liked this post:
Fezz (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

The X type is a spin off of the Mk3 Ford Mondeo /Contour platform 2000--2005. The rear suspension is highly modified Mondeo station wagon . some rear brake & roadwheel components may be similar . Gas engines are again , modified Ford Duratec units 2.0 , 2.5 & 3.0 litre , I think mainly modified heads .
Apart from Jaguar modified platform , I think only about 12% of the X type has any link to Mondeo/Contour ...

Fezz (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Five Speed
The X type is a spin off of the Mk3 Ford Mondeo /Contour platform 2000--2005. The rear suspension is highly modified Mondeo station wagon . some rear brake & roadwheel components may be similar . Gas engines are again , modified Ford Duratec units 2.0 , 2.5 & 3.0 litre , I think mainly modified heads .
Apart from Jaguar modified platform , I think only about 12% of the X type has any link to Mondeo/Contour ...
19% See this article.
According to the write-up, apparently just the block of the engine is original Duratec. Jaguar invested quite a lot of effort into the kitten, far more than I initially realized. This ranking is a testament to the work they did to make this car handle well; 11th in quite a hard company!

I seem to recall several someones mentioning the idea of fitting Mondeo ST220 brakes to an X-Type as an upgrade, so perhaps there is some connection in the brakes too...?

EDIT: I so have to try this sometime in a controlled environment...
"This system enabled the X-Type to power down from 60mph to standstill in just 2.5 seconds."

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 01-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Fezz (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Fezz, it sounds like you are kinda handy when it comes to the car. How does new calipers for free (or worst case $12) sound? Most of the time with the rear calipers, the problem lies with the e-brake lever freezing up. You can rebuild the calipers yourself. I have done 2 of mine. The first one I did, I had a rebuild kit (can be found on e-bay for fairly cheap). But, after doing the first one, I realized that I could rebuild the caliper re-using all the old software and just cleaning up the part that was freezing (due to rust forming between the body of the caliper and the shaft for the e-brake lever. But, with this being said, you also need to factor in buying a 14mm Pentasocket (yes, a 5 pointed socket). Again, it can be had on e-bay for around $20 delivered to your house.

As for other parts, it is really hit and miss. There is some stuff on the engine that will transfer over, but things like the water pump and whatnot will not transfer over (the water pump on the LS is on the front of the engine-near the passenger wheel but on your Jag, it is right next to the battery box on the driver's side/back of the motor). As for the suspension parts, if you can get Mondeo parts, you may save a little bit, but again, it is hit and miss.

Like was mentioned, I recently discovered that the rear upper control arm is very similar to the Volvo S40 arm. You may want to look at the Volvo line and see if anything is shared there (as they are both Ford products). But, what crosses and what doesn't, can not say.

If you have specific things that you are interested in, let me know and I will see what I can find for you.

Fezz (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Appreciate information guys. And Thermo, I'll definitely look into rebuilding the calipers, would be another experience to try out if it saves money. In regards to the e-brake freezing up, I started to avoid using the e-brake and just park the car in gear (5-speed). But regardless of the fact, sometimes when I start my car next morning and begin to leave, I'll hear a "clunk" and all is fine after that. Is that noise e brake being stuck? I always thought it was. And, is there any way to modify/avoid this common jag problem?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Fezz, what you are probably hearing is the pads "rusting" to the rotor. This is a common problem with modern day brake systems. Some cars are more prone to this than others. The "clunk" you are hearing is the pad breaking the rust bond. IF you pay attention, the first few times you brake, you will also hear a thunking sound as you are wearing the high spots off of the rotor from where the rust formed on the rotor. NOthing to fear.

If you need to know more about this, let me know. I know I get this thunk if I have left my car sit for a few days.

Fezz (01-31-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
19% See this article.
According to the write-up, apparently just the block of the engine is original Duratec. Jaguar invested quite a lot of effort into the kitten, far more than I initially realized. This ranking is a testament to the work they did to make this car handle well; 11th in quite a hard company!

I seem to recall several someones mentioning the idea of fitting Mondeo ST220 brakes to an X-Type as an upgrade, so perhaps there is some connection in the brakes too...?

EDIT: I so have to try this sometime in a controlled environment...
"This system enabled the X-Type to power down from 60mph to standstill in just 2.5 seconds."
Thanks for that link, long but good read. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about the history and design of the X-type. A few years back I worked as a designer at Dana corp, who designs auto and truck frames. You would be surprised at how many different auto makers use frames from this one supplier.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Hey Thermo, can you hook me up with a link to buy a repair kit for rebuilding the calipers? I don't know what I am exactly looking for. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

Here are the front caliper kits. Please note, 1 kit only does 1 caliper. So, you may need 2 of the kits depending on what all you are doing.

Centric Parts 143 20013 Front Caliper Kit | eBay

Here are the rears. Again, 1 kit does 1 caliper.

Centric Parts 143 20008 Rear Caliper Kit | eBay

But, from there, you have the Centric part number and you can possibly find the kit a little cheaper with some work. UP to you.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks a lot Thermo, but I might have to manage looking for a kit like that elsewhere.. $30 for shipping per item seems a little ridiculous. Oh the joys of living in Canada lol

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Fezz, talk with your local parts places and see if they can special order it for you and see what it would cost that way. A lot of stores do carry a lot of parts, you just have to special order them. They list the part numbers right there on the listing.