X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

Hi All,

Hope you are all staying healthy out there!

I am kinda playing with the idea of looking for a somewhat clean 2005 Jaguar X-type Sport with the manual transmission (USA Spec). Do they ever come up for sale?

I am a prior x-type owner, and I miss mine. Anything specific to the manual cars to look out for? Who makes the 5 speed manual gearbox?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

jaguarXKR, all I can say is broaden your scope as far as you dare, don't be afraid to travel a little bit to find what you are after and just keep looking. You are looking for a fairly rare kitty there because of the manual tranny. If you can forego the manual tranny, that will open things up greatly. But, don't give up hope. Just stick to what you want and keep the nose down as you are looking.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

A quick look on Autotrader showed that they have 52 X-Types listed. But, all of them are automatic transmissions. So, keep looking. If I hear anything, I will try and pass on the info.

The following users liked this post:
JaguarXKR (08-20-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You can come get my 2002 in Hawaii, but that would really be broadening the scope of your search

3.0l + sport package + manual is a tough combo to find. The 5-speed was technically standard on the 2.5l with the auto an option (I wanted to say for $1500). The 3.0l was a pretty expensive option over the 2.5l but the auto was no cost with it, so you had to really want the manual to justify it with the 3.0l. Throw in the Sport package and you were spending some real money when new so there just aren't that many out there. It's a nice transmission though, shifter feel is fine, gear ratios and spacing are good, and engine revs don't hang between gears like on newer cars. My clutch feel isn't good, but I haven't read that from others so I think it's my car - I've bled it but that only helped a little. On my car, and at least one other I've heard of, the bolts between the transmission and transfer case backed out casing the transmission case to crack. It was nothing some JB Weld couldn't patch up and I don't think is common but it would probably be worth checking those bolts if you get one. Otherwise I think they're know to be good durable transmissions. Good luck with your search!

JaguarXKR (08-20-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

1). The manual transmission is a Getrag unit as far as I know.
2). Jaguar changed the clutch design around 2004 - far lighter and smoother than the original version. It transforms the driving experience. Shifting can now be done with one finger on the shift lever.
3) the manual shift cars are quieter and have a different (and nicer) engine note than the automatics (I have both and my preference is for the manual version).
4) most of the manual cars with the 3 litre engine are the Sport version -much plainer interior (less wood and less leather on the seats -Alcantara inserts instead.

JaguarXKR (08-20-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive seen a couple down in Miami listed locally
Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Hi All,

Hope you are all staying healthy out there!

I am kinda playing with the idea of looking for a somewhat clean 2005 Jaguar X-type Sport with the manual transmission (USA Spec). Do they ever come up for sale?

I am a prior x-type owner, and I miss mine. Anything specific to the manual cars to look out for? Who makes the 5 speed manual gearbox?

Thanks!

JaguarXKR (08-20-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought my 2005 from a Forum member on Marketplace at the beginning of this year. It was in Ohio and I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped up to Pennsylvania. I wasn't aware of how rare it was until after I bought it. It has about 153,000 miles on it and has the usual litany of problems associated with both age and mileage (like me!); I'm tackling them one by one. It drives extremely well, doesn't use oil, but has a few glitches. It requires a bit more effort to shift into gear, especially first and second, grinds slightly if you push it into third too quickly and has a slight whine at steady speed that's probably either from the transmission or the transfer case. I've resigned myself to having to rebuild or replace the engine and transmission at some point down the line, but I like the car so much that I'll probably do whatever needs to be done to keep it on the road. Since I purchased this one I've done some online searches on various websites and they do come up from time to time.

Best of luck!

JaguarXKR (08-20-2020)