X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another AC question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 03:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Another AC question.

So, I have an '03 2.5L X Type. So I replaced the condensor, drier, compressor, orifice tube and O rings. Filled the compressor with the correct amount of Pag oil and vacuumed system. Went to charge with 134A and the compressor wouldn't kick in. I checked all the fuses and swapped out the compressor relay and nothing. I jumped the relay and the clutch kicked in but was not taking in any refrigerant. Also I noticed the fans were not on. Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Which port are you attempting to recharge the refrigerant through?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 05:03 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Hi italcarnut,

An old-timer trick when charging an empty system is to inject about 1/2 can (6 ounces) of refrigerant into the high-side port while holding the can upside down. This will get some liquid refrigerant into the system to quickly build sufficient pressure for the low pressure switch to re-enable the compressor clutch. Once the clutch kicks in, immediately close the high side valve on your manifold gauge set and do the rest of your charge via the low side valve/port, holdind the refrigerant cans upright or rocking them between upright and horizontal, but never tipping them upside down again. It can also help to sit the can of refrigerant in a pan of hot water to resist the can's tendency to ice up.

Don't forget to bleed the air out of the hose that connects the refrigerant can to your manifold gauges before opening the high- or low-side valves to charge the vehicle system.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-21-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 09:38 AM

I am charging through the low port. High side closed. I was wondering if I left some connector off. like a trinary switch or something. Where would that be located. Don, interesting idea about opening the high side to get the compressor going, however I jumped the relay and the compressor was on and still it took no refrigerant. Weird.

Old 07-22-2024, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by italcarnut
I am charging through the low port. High side closed. I was wondering if I left some connector off. like a trinary switch or something. Where would that be located. Don, interesting idea about opening the high side to get the compressor going, however I jumped the relay and the compressor was on and still it took no refrigerant. Weird.
The compressor can't create suction in a properly vacuumed system, so it takes the pressure from the refrigerant can (or 30-pound bottle) to force enough refrigerant into the system to get things started. One thing to check is that your refrigerant can tap is properly opening the can. The valves on the new "self sealing" cans tend to not open fully and sometimes it helps to actually back off the knob on your tap valve until refrigerant flows. Another thing to be aware of is that the old-style needle-point piercing valves do not work with the new self-sealing cans. You need a revised blunt-tip valve to open the seals on the new cans.

Cheers,

Don

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Hi Don. I did find out about the new style can, the hard way. So I switched to the old style since I also had a few of those. The low side gauge shot up to the three o'clock position on a clock. And still no suction. Hmmmm.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Hi Don. I did find out about the new style can, the hard way. So I switched to the old style since I also had a few of those. The low side gauge shot up to the three o'clock position on a clock. And still no suction. Hmmmm.
Are you sure you have your valves set correctly? High side off, vacuum valve closed, low side valve open and refill valve open?

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Im not sure what the vacuum and refill valve are, but the valves at the high and low side ports at the firewall open, valves at the gauge low side open, high side closed and middle line to freon can open at the can. Am I doing it right?

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 661 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Don B (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Im not sure what the vacuum and refill valve are, but the valves at the high and low side ports at the firewall open, valves at the gauge low side open, high side closed and middle line to freon can open at the can. Am I doing it right?
Sorry, I forget that most folks have manifold gauge sets with two valves and two hoses. I use a Mastercool gauge set with four hoses and separate valves for Vacuum and Refill:

If you're doing it the same as the Chris Fix video Dell posted, it should work. Notice the direction he turns the the valves on the port connector fittings to open them...

Cheers,

Don