X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another door key lock out (Tibbe key)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 09:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another door key lock out (Tibbe key)

Seems that door/ignition key problems are popular these days on the forum. Here's my situation.Application: X-Type, S-Type and other Jaguars that use a Tibbe Key.

Problem: I found a way to lock the only key fob inside the car.

Background. Purchased a used (3 previous owners) 2005 X-type Sportwagon 2 years ago. Seller provided one key fob and one mechanical key without the remote capability (valet key?). Did not try the valet key until yesterday, after learning that a second key from Jaguar would run me the following: transmitter key $261.30, programming is $180.00, Total $441.30 + tax; or, standard key is $182.98, programming is $180.00, Total $362.98 + tax. So decided to try the valet key and stupidly left the one programmed key fob inside the vehicle with the windows closed. Manually turned the valet key and the doors locked. Turned to unlock and no joy! WTF? Tried again and again. Security light blinking in the center counsel (now know that is called the red light of death).

Clearly I do not know how the Tibbe system works. I thought that a Tibbe key works only with the assigned vehicle, but seems I was wrong? Apparently, one can manually lock the vehicle with ANY Tibbe key , but it must be the correct one in order to manually unlock it? I now believe the valet key was NOT the right one for my vehicle. Tried a Tibbe key from another X-type. Sure enough, door would lock manually (lock click sounds) but a turn to the left will not unlock it.

So here I sit with a locked vehicle car in my garage, the one and only transmitter key fob locked inside the vehicle, the security systems has me locked out, (blinking red light), do not know what the Tibbe code is for the vehicle (was not recorded in owner manual or code tags provided for safekeeping), and I am 140 miles (2.5 hours) away from the nearest Jaguar dealer. Oh, as noted by others in previous threads, the dealer can provide you with a key, but they need to reprogram it and the original, BUT the car has to be their at the dealer for them to do so.

Questions:

1. Is it correct that ANY Tibbe key can manually be used to lock an X-Type or S-type but only a correctly coded key can manually open it?

2. I’ve viewed the Youtube videos on how to determine the key code using a special tool. Will a Tibbe key made by a locksmith with the tool and the cutter open the door properly?

3. Can a locksmith use other tools (a lock out pick, wire or similar tool) to open the door?

4. If it comes down to having to break a window to gain access, which window on an Sportwagon is best to break?

5. Is calling Safelight Auto Glass to remove the front windshield an option?

6. What other options exist for gaining access?

Thanks,

Squito

Old 10-01-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

1. don't know.
2. The Tibbe "decoder" is also a Tibbe lock pick. It will open the door with the right code which you can find by trial and error or possibly get from a dealer service person with your VIN. A key made by a locksmith will open the door. The key made by the locksmith won't work on the ignition unless you additionally get the ECU programmed for the new key transponder.
3. Yes.
4. I would go for the front door glass. It is common to the sedan so easier to find one in a junk yard. Back glass is unique to the wagon so likely hard to find.
5. If they can access the car in the garage this is a great option. My insurance company will fully pay for a new windshield every so many years. The actuaries must have figured pitted windshields cause problems.

Before attempting #5 you will definitely want to check with the glass company that they can get the windshield off without access to the interior..

Last edited by dh53; 10-01-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

Yes any jaguar x tibbe key will LOCK any x car.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XctpLHwp3Y4

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-01-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:16 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

#3 seems favourite, cal an auto locksmith or a vehicle recovery company and I'll bet you are in in minutes.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Okay, was able to get the door opened (and my eyes as well) with the help of a locksmith. As Norri posted, it took less than 60 sconds and $50. I now realize that while it would be very difficult to steal the car due to the programming electronics, there is no barrier to gaining access to the interior. So be advised, a locked vehicle is not a challenge to somewhat wanting to gain access to whatever may be inside.
As Dell noted, I can confirm that any Tibbe key will lock a vehicle's doors so equipped. I suspect that is an intended design feature. I also suspect the reseller of my vehicle just supplied me with another key fob he had around, so I did not know until I tried it the other day that it wouldn't work. Lesson learned.
In the meantime, was referred to another locksmith who has the equipment to make a new key and can "clone" the existing key for about $90, rather than reprogram the key electronics. Will find out more next week. Ya'll be safe out there.
Squito

Old 10-02-2021, 11:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

1. Is it correct that ANY Tibbe key can manually be used to lock an X-Type or S-type but only a correctly coded key can manually open it?

Yes. You are resetting all of the discs. The only time the discs care what cuts are on the key is when you are trying to align them to unlock.

2. I’ve viewed the Youtube videos on how to determine the key code using a special tool. Will a Tibbe key made by a locksmith with the tool and the cutter open the door properly?

ABSOLUTELY! The bad news is that few locksmiths are able to do Tibbe keys. They can only be done on a "code" machine WITH the appropriate adapter. The good news is that this is done just using the code, so once you have that, you don't have to send the original key anywhere, if all you want is a get-through-the-door key. This also means that you can get a key from someone with the machine, and have a local locksmith "clone" the transponder, thus not risking and "only" key to being shipped to have it cloned.

3. Can a locksmith use other tools (a lock out pick, wire or similar tool) to open the door?

Yep.

4. If it comes down to having to break a window to gain access, which window on an Sportwagon is best to break?

This is a last resort, and one which you probably won't need. If you have to break glass, the passenger window is readily available and used ones are generally not as scuffed as the driver's window.

5. Is calling Safelight Auto Glass to remove the front windshield an option?

Not only no, but HELL no!

6. What other options exist for gaining access?

You can buy a 6-position Tibbe pick/decoder (that special tool you mentioned above) for under $50 on ebay. This is one of Mr Lishi's brainstorms, and works nicely -- and, in fact, was the first tool that I got when I started doing Tibbe keys..

Old 10-02-2021, 11:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dh53
The key made by the locksmith won't work on the ignition unless you additionally get the ECU programmed for the new key transponder.
Close, but no kewpie.

The chip used in Jags can be cloned, a much simpler (and cheaper) process.

The code from your original key is programmed into the clone chip, and the car thinks that the new key is the original, whether it's the first copy or the thousandth.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Squito
In the meantime, was referred to another locksmith who has the equipment to make a new key and can "clone" the existing key for about $90, rather than reprogram the key electronics. Will find out more next week. Ya'll be safe out there.
Squito
Searching the web to find a replacement key fob and wondering about the "cloning" process. Discovered this from the JMA website:Programmable Transponders, have a code or value previously configured at the factory. This code or value can be programmed into the car's computer by an On Board Programming Procedure or with the use of a diagnostic tool. By using these methods, the car's computer will recognize the value previously written on the transponder and start the car.

Cloneable Transponders, have no code written on them. These transponders are also know as Read-Write Transponders, and are designed to be used with a cloning tool like our TRS5000. The TRS5000 will read the information written on the original key and then write that information on the Cloneable Transponder creating an exact duplicate or clone of the original key.
Also, in looking to purchase a key fob online, I noticed some were 433mhz and others were 315mhz. Apparently, the remote fobs work on different transmitter frequencies in different parts of the world. U.K and most of Europe use 433mhz, whereas U.S.A and Far East use 315mhz. So, if purchasing a fob, make certain that the frequency matches your country requirement. This may explain several comments made to various Youtube videos and other seller postings that their keys didn't work--perhaps they purchased the key with the wrong frequency?
Only info I found in the owner's manual is the radio frequency approval number is NHVWB1U241, though my key fob says CWTW81U243. Can someone shed some light on that? Checking the FCC website, 315mhz is the FCC frequency used for both of the code numbers.

Lastly, the instructional videos explain the turning of the key between ignition setting I and II four times to program the new key fob. A number of comments said that didn't work for them. I found another source that said sometimes it must be between II and III. Can anyone expound on the difference, perhaps? That and whether the door needs to be open or closed when you do the procedure?
Thanks,
Squito

Old 10-03-2021, 04:06 PM

Official Jag service bulletin for programming the fob in post #2 of this thread from Motorcarman:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2368118

If you follow post #3 of that same thread you will get instructions on changing the FOB frequency between European 433 and US 315 MHz. I bought a $10 FOB on eBay and it was programmed to 433 MHz. The seller sent me directions for changing the frequency to 315 MHz. Simple sequence of button presses but not the same sequence as the Jag OEM key.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Squito
Okay, was able to get the door opened (and my eyes as well) with the help of a locksmith. As Norri posted, it took less than 60 sconds and $50. I now realize that while it would be very difficult to steal the car due to the programming electronics, there is no barrier to gaining access to the interior.
So how did the locksmith get into the car in less than 60 seconds? Tibbe key decoder/pick? Slim JIm? Key FOB with rolling codes? How do we get in next time we lock ourselves out?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Inflatable wedge?

Old 10-04-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dh53
So how did the locksmith get into the car in less than 60 seconds? Tibbe key decoder/pick? Slim JIm? Key FOB with rolling codes? How do we get in next time we lock ourselves out?
Basically, this procedure:

Old 10-28-2021, 01:14 PM

As a follow up, I had a key cloned for my x-type for $165. Locksmith in Kingsport TN cut the tibbe key and cloned the new key chip. Interesting process. He had the tools and knowledge. Not all locksmiths do. I did not get a Jaguar key fob that had the remote open/close (available on ebay). Mine was just a plain 5-pin tibbe that accommodated a chip that works on Jaguars, so it requires manually locking/unlocking the doors, which is okay since it will be my spare key.