another example

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Air Filter

Originally Posted by cindyjean320
hi am new to forum
need help to change air filter 2003 xtype 3.0
It's fairly easy but time consuming. unscrew the large black cover on top of the engine. Make sure you lift it off carefully as there is a rubber grommet around the oil fillter. After you get that off unscrew the cover for the air cleaner box. After you installed the new air filter, reverse the procedure to reinstall everything. Make sure you get the rubber grommet over the large plastic cover. I used a plastic panel tool to slip it over the lip of the hole.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My vents pop out too, I took a little glue in the 4 corners and glued them down. I don't expect to have to remove them for anything, but if do they come back out with not so much of a problem. I don't expect them to stay forever, but so far they have stay where they are. My cat is well worth it, on a trip yesterday just over 300 miles, half a tank of gas, and 32.2 mpg. For the ride and comfort I'll be keeping mine for awhile (97739 miles)....LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
common problem and i have done hundreds of these repairs. All cars have common design faults, some more than others and some more fatal than others. That is what tsbs and recalls are for!!!!!!

Bob gauff
thats great except thats a old tsb and if you look at illustration #4 youll see the vent opening the retainer fits into is round all the way around. When you push in that new style retainer it pushes the retainer clips in going through the hole and they tend to not spring back. So you end up with a vent that can still come loose. The 3rd? Generation vents has slots for the retainer clips to go through easily without pushing the clips together. Then when it snaps into the dash it actually holds it down very tightly. I think those vents came out in 06?? But thats the lastest and greatest and even though adams are replaced once thats probobly not the ones that were redesigned again.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I actually drove down to the Mercedes dealer and back with no problems, nothing popping off, the doors unlocked and the radio turned off. Wow what a day.

The S550 is a really nice car but at $79K I think I'll pass, as it is a giant car and handles like a giant. One nice feature it stops itself automatically. Just press the brake pedal once and the car will stop if it needs too, Also, the cruise control is proactive, slows and speeds up on its own.
Mercedes are really Superior cars! As for what the forum member said about comparing the Jaguar with a Mercedes and saying it will have just as many faults or whatever has obviously never owned a Mercedes-Benz in his life! I have one in the garage now. I will never get rid of it! it drives so nice, and Ive yet to experience any major problem with it! in fact it's so well built, it has a back up system for every major system so that you can take ur time getting it fixed when need be (at least my model appears to). They are just great cars and after my Jaguar (though I love it as well!) hits around 90-95K, it's gone and im purchasing probably another Mercedes.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badplan1
Mercedes are really Superior cars! As for what the forum member said about comparing the Jaguar with a Mercedes and saying it will have just as many faults or whatever has obviously never owned a Mercedes-Benz in his life! I have one in the garage now. I will never get rid of it! it drives so nice, and Ive yet to experience any major problem with it! in fact it's so well built, it has a back up system for every major system so that you can take ur time getting it fixed when need be (at least my model appears to). They are just great cars and after my Jaguar (though I love it as well!) hits around 90-95K, it's gone and im purchasing probably another Mercedes.
And so is a Toyota Corolla. You are right I have never owned nor never will own a Mercedes (I still take issue with their business over life approach 65 years ago) but I have probably driven 1000 of them (estimating on the shy side) Just like the Toyota they do not do it for me. I find them boring, unreliable (even the Land Rovers and BMWs had a better chance of starting when you picked one out of the lot at Manheim Auto Auction) and absolutely flat in style. To each his/her own but for me a Mercedes would be even lower on the list then a GM for a car that I want to get in. Granted, I don't need to drive and rarely do. Having a car with a soul that makes me want to take it instead of the bike to work is important to me. If I wanted a bland people mover I'd get me a Buick!

That said I totally enjoy going down to the DC region Mercedes autox series. It is an absolute hoot to watch some of the big old iron stars driving around an autox. They're slow as dirt but, its still great to see a car pushed to its limits. Sadly, I don't see too many Jag owners doing the same.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not true. I've owned a brand new C280 Mercedes and a brand new X Type as well. Both cars were similar 06 and 07 vintage cars. Based on my experience I can definitely say that the X Type is much better car to drive and own. In fact, it was a unanimous decision between my wife and me to replace the C280 with an XF (which she drives now) v. getting an E Class Mercedes.

At least here in Washington DC you see lots of new C Classes around (as well as lots of 3 Series) but they have way more to do with super low lease payments and 1.9% interest rates than being superior cars. Probably you have a classic Benz. But my C 280 had it's fair share of issues from - exhaust A pipe rattling to window regulator needing to be replaced to simple build quality things like the chrome in the cup holder inside peeling off and the paint in front chipping off. In identical driving conditions the paint on my X is near perfect.

In my case I'll only buy a Mercedes only if I can no longer afford to pay cash for my cars and I need to lease something. Mercedes have great lease values because the dealers greatly inflate the expected re-sale value.

I am only comparing C and E class Mercedes cars since I need AWD and I prefer more compact sedans.

Cars I have owned (all bought new ):

1. 2010 XF - Since Aug 2010
2. 2007 X Type - Since Aug 2006
3. 2006 C 280 - sold Aug. 2010
4. 2002 TL - Sold Mar 2006
5. 1997 325i - Sold Jun 2002

Last edited by aluni2230; 10-27-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Not true. I've owned a brand new C280 Mercedes and a brand new X Type as well. Both cars were similar 06 and 07 vintage cars. Based on my experience I can definitely say that the X Type is much better car to drive and own. In fact, it was a unanimous decision between my wife and me to replace the C280 with an XF (which she drives now) v. getting an E Class Mercedes.

At least here in Washington DC you see lots of new C Classes around (as well as lots of 3 Series) but they have way more to do with super low lease payments and 1.9% interest rates than being superior cars. Probably you have a classic Benz. But my C 280 had it's fair share of issues from - exhaust A pipe rattling to window regulator needing to be replaced to simple build quality things like the chrome in the cup holder inside peeling off and the paint in front chipping off. In identical driving conditions the paint on my X is near perfect.

In my case I'll only buy a Mercedes only if I can no longer afford to pay cash for my cars and I need to lease something. Mercedes have great lease values because the dealers greatly inflate the expected re-sale value.

I am only comparing C and E class Mercedes cars since I need AWD and I prefer more compact sedans.

Well yea the C class is honestly a big POS.. every body knows that.. you couldn't give me a C class to be honest. But have you owned an e-class? Judging from your list of nice cars you've owned since new, you have only had a C class prior...but are judging both the C and E class as though they were on the same level? Or did I miss something?
Honestly, I'm not going to sit here and try to defend a car company in which people trust and, that hasn't changed owners decade after decade like Jaguar. I can tell you one thing though, M.B. sells more of those junk C-class cars than Jaguar sells in its entire line in a year..

To the forum member who first messaged me back.... Maybe there is a reason you don't see Jaguars of vintage driving around? But you do Mercedes

In all honesty I love my Jaguar and, it's definitely an experience of its own. But when your alternator runs about 500 and a starter around 700.. Well that's just grossly over priced. I'm not dissing the car, more like grimacing if and when something breaks.. all cars break.

No hard feelings guys but, your not going to tell me Jaguar's any more or less a car than a Mercedes Benz.. Everyone has their opinion and its not like im going to be persuaded one way or the other. Their are facts and then opinions.

BTW... The XF only comes in rear-wheel drive form..no AWD.

Last edited by badplan1; 10-28-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Sorry. I should have clarified. The XF is driven by my wife. It was her choice. When referring to the E Type, I should have also clarified I've never owned one but I've driven several and did consider it...

The XF is new and hasn't tasted the snow here yet.

One reason you see a lot of C Class in Washington DC is because the current lease on one is about the same as a Honda Accord! Even the E Class lease is around 25% less than an XF for equivalent usage. The attractive lease and 1.9% APR for purchase is probably the biggest factor. My office is full of them. We just hired a person straight out of college and he got a C Class! Here I am a VP of Products and I drive a humble X Type

That's just my humble opinion.

Last edited by aluni2230; 10-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
ud

\
To the forum member who first messaged me back.... Maybe there is a reason you don't see Jaguars of vintage driving around? But you do Mercedes

In all honesty I love my Jaguar and, it's definitely an experience of its own. But when your alternator runs about 500 and a starter around 700.. Well that's just grossly over priced. I'm not dissing the car, more like grimacing if and when something breaks.. all cars break.
Saw two just today. An E type and an early 70s V-12 XJ. That is just in my 2 mile each way commute to work in the money town of Lancaster, PA. Saw more horse and buggies in those 2 miles BTW. Didn't include the 82 XJ6 I normally see on the road. The guy must have been off as it was just sitting in the driveway

I have no clue where you buy alternators and starters at but I had mine rebuilt for $190 for the XJR 2 weeks ago. Even has 3 year warranty that I know I won't need. In fact now I have an extra set of diodes that Jaguar didn't see fit to include. Grossly over priced or grossly poor shopping skills?

I just got a new issue of Car and Driver. Seems the Germans must think the Brits are on to something. The side shot and a$$ end of the CLS550 looks quite familiar. Turn the page and the A7 just as similar.

Just remember the Toyota Corolla outsells every European lux maker and has for nearly 30 years. Grab those horns by the ________... oh wait, that didn't work out like planned.:LOL

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by benebob
Saw two just today. An E type and an early 70s V-12 XJ. That is just in my 2 mile each way commute to work in the money town of Lancaster, PA. Saw more horse and buggies in those 2 miles BTW. Didn't include the 82 XJ6 I normally see on the road. The guy must have been off as it was just sitting in the driveway

I have no clue where you buy alternators and starters at but I had mine rebuilt for $190 for the XJR 2 weeks ago. Even has 3 year warranty that I know I won't need. In fact now I have an extra set of diodes that Jaguar didn't see fit to include. Grossly over priced or grossly poor shopping skills?

I just got a new issue of Car and Driver. Seems the Germans must think the Brits are on to something. The side shot and a$$ end of the CLS550 looks quite familiar. Turn the page and the A7 just as similar.

Just remember the Toyota Corolla outsells every European lux maker and has for nearly 30 years. Grab those horns by the ________... oh wait, that didn't work out like planned.:LOL
Where to start...hmmnn.. Firstly i suppose i do have poor shopping skills. However, let me ask you this, You said you had your starter rebuilt for $190.. does that mean you had to take the starter out, ship it to a company, wait for them to rebuild it, wait on shipping then re-install it back into the car? or that you simply purchased a rebuilt one? I ask this because my Jag is my daily driver and, I don't have the pleasure of taking it off the road for weeks at a time for maintenance. Where do you buy your parts from?

Your second paragraph... you do realize that Jaguar & LandRover are now owned by Tata Motors, Which is a India company . Additionally The CLS 550 has been out WAY before the XF was even thought of. 2003 to be exact. The new 2012 CLS550 has basically the same tail lights.. Just more stretched out. Mercedes has been the leader in car technology for years if not forever. I seriously doubt the Germans think the Brits are on to anything but old news. Though that pop-up gear selector and flip around vents are cool, I think a car that knows when your starting to fall asleep and wakes you up and, that stops itself is WAY COOLER.

Lastly, The final paragraph, you are simply comparing apples to oranges. Key words being 'Corolla' and 'Lux maker'. just to be clear, a Toyota Corolla is an econo box that cost 15,540. Compared to a entry level Luxury car which cost 3.5 -to- 4 times as much. enough said.

to Aluni2230: Thank you for your humble opinion.

Last edited by badplan1; 10-29-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM

Take a look at the pictures... How does the XF or XJ rear end look anything like the Mercedes-Benz CLS550? Further more, to reiterate my point, I doubt the Germans are thinking about what the Brits are up to... Look at that new Ford Mondeo (front and back), Looks quiet familiar

Attached Thumbnails another example-2012-ford-mondeo-coupe-front-side-590x442.jpg   another example-2010025_jaguar_xj_rear.jpg   another example-jaguar_xf_v6_lux_002.jpg   another example-mondeo_coupe_2.jpg   another example-1024_cls550_7_medium.jpg  

Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

lol I think the Mondeo look more like the love child between the XF and the RX8 from Mazda, with dental work courtesy of Nissans GTR

Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Mercedes Vs Jaguar

There is no comparison the Mercedes is the superior car by far. I've owned two a 79 SLC with 108K miles on it when I bought it. It drove like new, I owned a C280 vintage 1999 had the car 8 years and I am sorry I sold it for this sport sedan First time in my life I made a mistake buying a car.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
ud

Where to start...hmmnn.. Firstly i suppose i do have poor shopping skills. However, let me ask you this, You said you had your starter rebuilt for $190.. does that mean you had to take the starter out, ship it to a company, wait for them to rebuild it, wait on shipping then re-install it back into the car? or that you simply purchased a rebuilt one? I ask this because my Jag is my daily driver and, I don't have the pleasure of taking it off the road for weeks at a time for maintenance. Where do you buy your parts from?

Your second paragraph... you do realize that Jaguar & LandRover are now owned by Tata Motors, Which is a India company . Additionally The CLS 550 has been out WAY before the XF was even thought of. 2003 to be exact. The new 2012 CLS550 has basically the same tail lights.. Just more stretched out. Mercedes has been the leader in car technology for years if not forever. I seriously doubt the Germans think the Brits are on to anything but old news. Though that pop-up gear selector and flip around vents are cool, I think a car that knows when your starting to fall asleep and wakes you up and, that stops itself is WAY COOLER.

Lastly, The final paragraph, you are simply comparing apples to oranges. Key words being 'Corolla' and 'Lux maker'. just to be clear, a Toyota Corolla is an econo box that cost 15,540. Compared to a entry level Luxury car which cost 3.5 -to- 4 times as much. enough said.

to Aluni2230: Thank you for your humble opinion.

I said alternator not starter for the record. I did have to take it out, drive down the road a mile, drop it off at the local starter/alternator shop at 12pm and wait for 3 freaking hours to pick it back up. Takes a bit for paint to dry ya know. It would have been around $100 but I told the guy I wanted all new copper windings as it is a little tough to get in. If I was in a hurry he had a rebuilt one in stock that would just need the pulley swapped (10 minute job) but I'm a little **** and would rather keep the original casing for some non logical reason. I'm sure you have a shop within a few miles of your place.

Tata Motors is a huge improvement in my mind over a gov't run company like BL or Chrysler.

Yes, IMO the newly redesigned CLS looks very similar, esp to the XK rear end. Just not as clean. As one who buys cars that do not bore me to death. both are just a waste of time for me.

I understand and picked the Corolla because it is comparing Apples to Apples with a Mercedes. Boring, well engineered people movers. Jaguar offers something different which either you get or you don't. Even the lowely X type and S types are styled by designers not engineers. How many kids have had a Mercedes hanging on their wall in the past 50 years? 2 more than have a Corolla on their wall. Wait it is Halloween, maybe I'll see some Mercedes at the door for trick or treat.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
There is no comparison the Mercedes is the superior car by far. I've owned two a 79 SLC with 108K miles on it when I bought it. It drove like new, I owned a C280 vintage 1999 had the car 8 years and I am sorry I sold it for this sport sedan First time in my life I made a mistake buying a car.
Looks like your approach is to buy really old cars. My comparisons are based on new cars. I've never driven an 8 year old car - let alone buy one. A lot depends on the respective previous owners.

I am comfortable with my judgment

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM

I'm sorry, Mercedes rear end styling seems to be pretty consistent across the board, With the 2010 E class and 2012 CLS having very similar tail lights. Maybe they are copying each other. And still, they look absolutism NOTHING like a XF's... Hmn maybe Jaguar copied Infiniti's FX and just switched the letters around... almost as ridiculous as your accusations. Benebob, know when you've been owned and step away gracefully...or not. Now your just making ridiculous opinionated accusations when I'm talking facts.

Aluni2230: I think I see your approach to cars, which is a fine one. Buy them new and sell them before you start having problems. Unfortunately the other 90% of car buyers/ owners expect a car to last, relativley hassle free for a medium of ten years (cars age, not ownership).

Attached Thumbnails another example-2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-e1282619871830.jpg   another example-mercedes-cls-2012-2.jpg  

Last edited by badplan1; 11-01-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
ud

. Benebob, know when you've been owned and step away gracefully...or not. Now your just making ridiculous opinionated accusations when I'm talking facts.
Owned by a Mercedes owner? You must open the garage door before you start your dirty diesel burning hitlermobile. I know it takes a bit before the glow plugs warm up things enough and its cold out.

Fact, Jaguar DESIGNS cars, Mercedes engineers them. There is a huge difference. If engineers ruled the world it would be a boring, ugly (though functional) place. At least like you said you wouldn't fall asleep driving a boring, ugly car since it wakes you up after it puts you to sleep. I still prefer driving a car that I enjoy driving enough to stay awake doing so. Even Mercedes doesn't build a seat as comfortable as my bed. To each his/her own. I simply prefer giving up some fine engineering for some style. Maybe its because I have to deal with engineers all day long or maybe I just am tired of a world of econoboxes build by engineers.

I guess you're just one of those brainwashed Mercedes fans who just hasn't seen the light. There is always hope. I'll pray for ya to the automotive gods.

Last edited by benebob; 11-01-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM

FACT: your making an opinionated statement once again. FACT: My 28 year old M.B> A.K.A hitlermobile (wow your so funny) gets 30 MPG in the city! Fact: People who are thinking along the same lines as you often are A. going through a mid-life crisis, recently divorced or are trying to make up for their 'short coming'. I think if you were to pray to any automotive god, they would show you wrath. FOr someone who supposedly has driven 100's of Mercedes and, haha is an engineer well, why are you purchasing 8 year old cars to replace your subaru? Further I find hilarious that someone who's supposedly an engineer decides to throw of all things a trailer hitch onto his jaguar and haul a trailer around. Maybe your a toaster engineer? you make no logical sense in your posts.. you jump randomly from topic to topic and through the most random insults in... a Mercedes showing up on your door for Halloween? Having to open my garage when I start my diesel? Unless your trying to kill yourself, you have to open your garage door... called carbon monoxide.

This is boring.. next!!

BTW, Jag's are known oil burners

ANd yea, owned by a mercedes owner.... Where's your rebuttal on the supposed CLS rear end look alike??? Thats what I though. PWND! im so 1337

Last edited by badplan1; 11-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 AM

you make no logical sense in your posts.. you jump randomly from topic to topic and through the most random insults in... a Mercedes showing up on your door for Halloween? Having to open my garage when I start my diesel? Unless your trying to kill yourself, you have to open your garage door... called carbon monoxide.

This is boring.. next!!

BTW, Jag's are known oil burners

ANd yea, owned by a mercedes owner.... Where's your rebuttal on the supposed CLS rear end look alike??? Thats what I though. PWND! im so 1337
Not sure if you know about Consumer Reports, but according to them Jaguar owner satisfaction is higher than Mercedes and Audi is 2nd poorest in reliability as a brand - only Chrysler is worse!

So conventional wisdom that the Germans are bullet proof isn't true.

But one thing that is true is that IF you're buying a Jaguar, design and style has to play a huge role. That, and getting a prestige brand for cheap (in the case of a used x type). But if you buy it mainly because you're getting prestige for cheap you'll be disappointed. It costs the same to maintain an X Type as a similar vintage C Class or A4 or 3 series.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Not sure if you know about Consumer Reports, but according to them Jaguar owner satisfaction is higher than Mercedes and Audi is 2nd poorest in reliability as a brand - only Chrysler is worse!

So conventional wisdom that the Germans are bullet proof isn't true.

But one thing that is true is that IF you're buying a Jaguar, design and style has to play a huge role. That, and getting a prestige brand for cheap (in the case of a used x type). But if you buy it mainly because you're getting prestige for cheap you'll be disappointed. It costs the same to maintain an X Type as a similar vintage C Class or A4 or 3 series.

Firstly I never read Consumer Reports. Number one reason is due to the fact that all/ most the results are skewed by cash influences. It's not a reliable source of information in my opinion.

Secondly, you have to take into consideration the number of consumers who use these vechicles. That being said, with Jaguar previously having 3 models in their line up and, now having 2, the results are going to vary compared to car companies who have multiple car lines and sell 4X or more the quantities that Jaguar does.

Aluni, with purchasing most cars, design and style come into play, not just a Jaguar. Since your referring to me obviously, just can't say you are, I purchased my X-type because not for prestige by any means. I bought this car because I have a friend who works at a dealership and was able to give me a decent deal on it. I also partly purchased it because after having driven a mitsu for the past year and half, I wanted to go back to something with more luxury like I had with my I35. That being said, at 20 Years old, I'm not fortunate enough yet to be able to purchase these cars brand new as say you who's probably around 40 or so. but at my age, I bet I have/had better cars than anyone else at my age.

With this being said, this concludes my participation in this thread. The original point and post having been so maliciously skewed that its not even funny. Furthermore, the way other forum members have approached this situation, throwing random insults and, non- factual information in or, opinions they are stating as facts with out backing has become redundant.
For those of you who fail to see that, there are indeed better cars out there than I do take pity on you.

Good Day