X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another example

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Taillights

[quote=badplan1;262553]Take a look at the pictures... How does the XF or XJ rear end look anything like the Mercedes-Benz CLS550? Further more, to reiterate my point, I doubt the Germans are thinking about what the Brits are up to... Look at that new Ford Mondeo (front and back), Looks quiet familiar [/quote

They don't look the same, perhaps the basic shape is similar but that's as far as it goes.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badplan1
Firstly I never read Consumer Reports. Number one reason is due to the fact that all/ most the results are skewed by cash influences. It's not a reliable source of information in my opinion.

Secondly, you have to take into consideration the number of consumers who use these vechicles. That being said, with Jaguar previously having 3 models in their line up and, now having 2, the results are going to vary compared to car companies who have multiple car lines and sell 4X or more the quantities that Jaguar does.

Aluni, with purchasing most cars, design and style come into play, not just a Jaguar. Since your referring to me obviously, just can't say you are, I purchased my X-type because not for prestige by any means. I bought this car because I have a friend who works at a dealership and was able to give me a decent deal on it. I also partly purchased it because after having driven a mitsu for the past year and half, I wanted to go back to something with more luxury like I had with my I35. That being said, at 20 Years old, I'm not fortunate enough yet to be able to purchase these cars brand new as say you who's probably around 40 or so. but at my age, I bet I have/had better cars than anyone else at my age.

With this being said, this concludes my participation in this thread. The original point and post having been so maliciously skewed that its not even funny. Furthermore, the way other forum members have approached this situation, throwing random insults and, non- factual information in or, opinions they are stating as facts with out backing has become redundant.
For those of you who fail to see that, there are indeed better cars out there than I do take pity on you.

Good Day
I guess it only depends on the "facts" you want to listen to.

Fact. The Jaguar XJ has been a world leader in lowest deaths per mile driven since 1968. It is only closely followed recently by the S class. Where was Mercedes 30 years ago? 20 years ago? 10 years ago?

Fact. How many Jews, Poles and other slave labors did Daimler Managers shoot during WW2? That would be 9 proven murders. Countless others worked to death or starved.

Fact. JD Powers and Consumer Reports has ranked Jaguar higher than Mercedes for the past 10 years in reliablity and owner satisfaction.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got my X the vents where broken. First time I took it for service they replaced them with new ones. I have not had an issue since.

Considering the bigger issues some peoples X-Types have, this one is the most minor..

Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Since when does consumer reports have cash influences. They dont accept any advertising, donations etc...buy everything off the shelf to test and are purely paid from readership, annuities, and money left in wills etc...
I have subscribed and used consumer reports for a couple decades and see where they go for moeny, you can buy annuities and leave them in your will, raffles for cars etc....all to pay for their "unbiased" testing
now if youde have said that about jd powers well that i would believe

Old 11-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Since when does consumer reports have cash influences. They dont accept any advertising, donations etc...buy everything off the shelf to test and are purely paid from readership, annuities, and money left in wills etc...
I have subscribed and used consumer reports for a couple decades and see where they go for moeny, you can buy annuities and leave them in your will, raffles for cars etc....all to pay for their "unbiased" testing
now if youde have said that about jd powers well that i would believe
+1 Consumer reports does NOT take any money from ANYONE.. They go out and tell it like it is on all the products they review.

So I award you no points and my God have mercy on your soul..

Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, so this is what they mean by a hijacked thread.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Smile Jaguar and Mercedes

Originally Posted by benebob
Owned by a Mercedes owner? You must open the garage door before you start your dirty diesel burning hitlermobile. I know it takes a bit before the glow plugs warm up things enough and its cold out.

Fact, Jaguar DESIGNS cars, Mercedes engineers them. There is a huge difference. If engineers ruled the world it would be a boring, ugly (though functional) place. At least like you said you wouldn't fall asleep driving a boring, ugly car since it wakes you up after it puts you to sleep. I still prefer driving a car that I enjoy driving enough to stay awake doing so. Even Mercedes doesn't build a seat as comfortable as my bed. To each his/her own. I simply prefer giving up some fine engineering for some style. Maybe its because I have to deal with engineers all day long or maybe I just am tired of a world of econoboxes build by engineers.

I guess you're just one of those brainwashed Mercedes fans who just hasn't seen the light. There is always hope. I'll pray for ya to the automotive gods.
You said it in one sentence Jaguar designs cars Mercedes engineers cars. Big difference. Design does not equate to engineering

Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
You said it in one sentence Jaguar designs cars Mercedes engineers cars. Big difference. Design does not equate to engineering
That's where your wrong. Engineering does not equate to design. Personally, I'd rather be stuck by the side of the road in something that was designed then driving something which looks like the tow truck I'm waiting to be picked up by. Lifes too short to drive boring cars. Obviously I'm an odd bird who prefers to ride my motorcikle provided the temp is above 15 degrees and there wasn't any precipitation the previous night.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Smile Engineering / design

That's where your wrong. Engineering does not equate to design. Personally, I'd rather be stuck by the side of the road in something that was designed then driving something which looks like the tow truck I'm waiting to be picked up by. Lifes too short to drive boring cars. Obviously I'm an odd bird who prefers to ride my motorcikle provided the temp is above 15 degrees and there wasn't any precipitation the previous night.
I disagree with U 100%. A car has to be engineered first before it can be designed. Engineering keeps the car going day by day. Design doesn't.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh and British cars shed unneeded parts in an attempt to keep the weight down. I need to use more thread locker on my TVR then any motorcycle I ever bought, otherwise the bolts simply rattle themselves out.
I have a sticker on my '69 Triumph TR-6 that says: "The parts falling off of this car are of the highest quality British origin"

Old 11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
ud

I disagree with U 100%. A car has to be engineered first before it can be designed. Engineering keeps the car going day by day. Design doesn't.
Design is what makes you look at a car and want to drive it. Without good artists the world would be driving Mercedes, living in concrete boxes and committing suicide at a very high rate per capita.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
ud

Originally Posted by TheSeeker
I have a sticker on my '69 Triumph TR-6 that says: "The parts falling off of this car are of the highest quality British origin"
Don't you mean you had a sticker holding your rear bumper on until it fell off. I've actually been quite suprised how well built the Tivver has been thus far, once you get past the wiring nightmare they call a loom. Haven't had a single thing fall off. Locktite solved that problem.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM

I once owned a TVR...well, kind of. It was actually a '66 Griffith 400. That car was a BEAST...quicker than snot! Unfortunately, it ping-ponged from one guard rail to the other several times on an icy bridge and the fiberglass disintegrated.

It was about as close to a kit car as any production car I've ever seen. I once dumped the clutch so hard on it that I spun the splined hub shafts inside the Dunlop wire wheels.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
ud

I once owned a TVR...well, kind of. It was actually a '66 Griffith 400. That car was a BEAST...quicker than snot! Unfortunately, it ping-ponged from one guard rail to the other several times on an icy bridge and the fiberglass disintegrated.

It was about as close to a kit car as any production car I've ever seen. I once dumped the clutch so hard on it that I spun the splined hub shafts inside the Dunlop wire wheels.
Yeah I can see that, mine gets a little bit more than a handful in a good rainstorm and the 5.0 is still on an engine stand. They did solve one of the problems though. My fiberglass is nearly an inch think. I'm suprised the rear end "held the power" enough to despline the wheels.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM

I'll bet if the hubs hadn't spun, I would have had a blown differential instead.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
ud

I'll bet if the hubs hadn't spun, I would have had a blown differential instead.
Exactly, that had what the MG rear? I really like the Jag rear on mine. Hope it does just fine with the 300hp coming at it. When I decided on going British for a fun car, the TR6 was short on the list. My dad had one back in the day, I had one I started restoring in college. I just don't have the ability at home do deal with rust so it lost quick.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm thinking (it was 40+ years ago) that it had a TR-4 differential...then again a TR-4 and an MG-B may well have shared the same unit.

I presently have a BRG '69 TR-6 that I took 6 years restoring myself.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Smile Design / engineering

Actually we are both wrong. I spoke to my sons friend who is a engineer and he says that design and engineering go hand in hand. "When you engineering something you design it and when you design it your also engineering it."

Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Smile Signs

On the 59 MGA I had a sign on the back that said will not start once temperature drops below 40 degrees F.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Smile Rear axle

Interesting, I once dumped the clutch on a Austin Healy I had 40 plus years ago, broke the rear axle.