X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another X-treme Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure the owner of the trans shop is a friend of my mom and he took the car to jaguar this morning so I should be finding out exactly what happened really soon...

Old 08-24-2010, 05:00 PM

O.k so Jag says that its the transfer case and they want $3500 to fix. They said the first owner was told he needed a new engine and when he got it swapped some didnt install the hoses right to the tc,so i guess it burned out? Dosent make sense to me but thats what they said...Didnt even know there were hoses from the engine to the tc...

Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jagFan09
O.k so Jag says that its the transfer case and they want $3500 to fix. They said the first owner was told he needed a new engine and when he got it swapped some didnt install the hoses right to the tc,so i guess it burned out? Dosent make sense to me but thats what they said...Didnt even know there were hoses from the engine to the tc...
There aren't any hoses...do these guys know what they're doing? It seems to me that you're learning the hard way that these are complex and expensive cars.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by jagFan09
Thats sounds like a service advisor trying to explain something mechanical when they dont know about it... Thats what I felt would be the issue and it just burned up from normal everything that anyone else around here has had to replace theirs for, some leak some just go out

Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

So in a nutshell, you need a transfer case, and the cash is going to come out of your pocket. I feel your pain man, good luck. Maybe look around some of the salvage yards and such and see if you could get a used version, sometimes you can fenagle a warranty on them. At least do some pricing.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
So in a nutshell, you need a transfer case, and the cash is going to come out of your pocket. I feel your pain man, good luck. Maybe look around some of the salvage yards and such and see if you could get a used version, sometimes you can fenagle a warranty on them. At least do some pricing.
^^^Yea thats about right. So I can use a tc from the newer models?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

I *think* you are limited to 2002-2003 - Brutal or one of the techs can you confirm?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM

if you call salvage yards theyll be able to verify through cross referance what is interchangable between years without me having to stand in parts dept and ask and wait

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Default And the story continues...

I thought I was about to get my car fixed when my mom decides she want to get a 3rd opinion from another trans shop, for what reason I have no clue!! What do ya know they said there is something wrong with the transmission!! The dealer didnt find anything wrong with the car so how could they?! Now just listen and try to understand... they said somehow the tc got out of place and a axle inside the trans was messed up because of it...now these are the words from my mom she might have misunderstood but basically they want to install a tc and trans. Now she just wants to sell the car and get far away from any jag! IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! I mean of course a trans shop would find something wrong with the trans duh!!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM

If the c clip came off the end of the passenger side axle shafts stub(its 2 piece and goes through the tc into the trans differential.) thats very rare though and normally its an issue on dissassembly. Matter of fact ive never seen it just come off while driving. Also you wouldnt know unless you pull it all apart and theyre not gonna do that. I think theyre just high balling and covering all bases and leaving you with a large bill...
What next " oh we found an issue with your trans, transfere case, and the engine too! I think we better replace it all along with the rear diff, im meen just to make sure"

Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Selling at this point would be senseless in my opinion. It's not worth a ton of money when it's running, much less when its dead in the water. I can understand wanting to cut your losses, but if you can't replace the car for the cost of a TC.

So two opinions say TC, one says TC and Trans. You got a tech on this board saying its highly unlikely that what the 3rd place says is true.

I'd tip my toe in the TC waters and see what happens.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM

I think were talkin about the same part he removed the the front passenger tire and showed us a axle that goes in the tc and trans the part of it thay goes it the tc was all scratched up and the part that goes in the trans the "teeth" are wore down to smooth...so he says those worn down pieces are inside the trans

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

those piece cannot end up in the trans from the transfere case. thats just pure BS that the pieces are in the trans. he cannot tell without pulling the TC off and saying what he did is BS. IDe go back to the dealer and ask about coupons, and disc on parts. We do it to try to work with people..you know what they say. " A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush!"
See this is what gets me about public perceptions. youll go to a independant that doesnt know the car cus they dont work on them all day, day in and out. They charge say $80-100/hour, and you end up paying for their Jaguar inexperiance alot more than going to a dealer that knows the car, the issues and what possible and not. Yes there are always expceptions. But this is a case of your gonna pay more going somewhere else. If theres damage out the TC case, that has led to damage in the case. its gonna stay there. The stub shaft that you see goes into the trans throughthe Tc case and nothing is gonna get past it like chunks of metal. There only issue Ive ever seen is oring leaking between the 2 that lets trans fluid leak into tc case and then puke out. And since trans fluid is light oil that the gear lube in the TC is usualy burns out the TC case bearings by the time you find out. The other issue is like I said earlier when the snap ring pops out in the trans that on the end of the stub shaft. Or the snap ring is tweeked and you have to pull the whole TC assembly out cause you cant get the stub shaft out

Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Angry Sad day in my life...

Brutal I agree with what you said 1000% but mom just wont listen, looks like ill be on a Altima forum now... You guys have been great thanks for all the help! ill be back when I can buy my own xkr or something!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The right front wheel drive shaft does go through the TC into the front differential which is in the transmission case. If the drive shaft teeth failed the debris would be in the transmission. It would be interesting for the rest of us to know what actually caused such a catastrophic failure.

With your luck, God help Nissan!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jagfan09
i think were talkin about the same part he removed the the front passenger tire and showed us a axle that goes in the tc and trans the part of it thay goes it the tc was all scratched up and the part that goes in the trans the "teeth" are wore down to smooth...so he says those worn down pieces are inside the trans
ok if they pulled the stub shaft out, and not just the out axle shaft, and the teeth are gone on that, then yes thats in the trans.