X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Tips for buying a used Jag X Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This may or may not be the best place to ask that question... Keep in mind that this forum is comprised mostly of jaguar owners who love and take very good care of their cars.

But... here is my two cents.

I bought my X and love it. Its had its share of problems but I chalk nearly all of them up to poor service and care from its previous owner.

A question to ask the owner IMO would be not "if" the car has had work done but "what" work has been done. There are several things on these cars that Jaguar just didn't get right. Most of them are part of the vacuum system and very inexpensive to fix IF the owner took care of them. If the owner says "She's been great! Never had to touch anything!" I would see that as a red flag.

To answer your question about the transmission, they are solid enough given the proper maintenance. The trasfer cases are more of a weak point but should be fine as long as you drive sensibly. A goose here and there is fine but if you drive it like a race car, you had better have a decent TC fund. ;-)

Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Shots is right, don't ask if, it's more of a what and when stuff has been done, you didn't mention mileage. 04 come in 2 flavours, you have early and late 04, you can tell the date it was built on the drivers doorjam. Either way it's a good year, but don't expect things like Bluetooth compatibility or anything that you take for granted today. No MP3 compatibility, you have to buy a 300.00 piece to integrate an MP3 player or an iPod. The transmissions are fine as long as it's not slipping. (same with every tranny) but the Jag Auto is expensive to fix. I'd test frive it and pin it in first and feel the shifts between 1st to second and second to third. if the are crisp you're good. Transfer Case is what makes it all wheel drive. Everyone says they are the weak link. Only if you decide you are now Paul Tracy or if you decide to add a blower or some HP builder. Normal to Agressive driving your fine, doing brake stands at stop lights or dirt tracking it around corners with your foot planted into the carpet you're going to have an issue. Automatics are 'sealed for life' meaning like a maintenace free battery no fluid changes required.....not so much, buy the car and get the transmission flushed and a complete fluid change, expect the first one if done at a dealer to cost 500-800 bucks if not more. If you are the least bit mechanical then everything you need or want to know about maintenance is right here. Good luck, you will like the car, they are great to drive.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

i will stay a neutral as possible, but don't buy an 02 it by far the worst year for quality issue and relaibility. most first model years have their issues.

the "best" x-types i have worked on are usually 06-08.

There is a vin range somewhere in between 04-06 that don't have a real all wheel drive, the transfer-case is different and is more like an open diff with one wheel peel.

If you can have the car you are going to buy inspected by a reputable jag tech or service shop that knows what common item to look at.

weak points
rear suspsenson and tranny and some t-case problems
can be expensive to fix

positives
its a jag
awd
fuel economy

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Buy one that's 2005 model or newer, that's top-spec & already fully loaded with all the electronic equipment.

GPS, CD-changer, phone module / bluetooth, ACM, powerfold mirrors, premium sound, 10-way electric seats, etc...

Adding these in afterwards costs $$$$$ and you will wish you had them if you don't...

If you can't find one fully-loaded, then don't buy it if the VIN is in the range E37149 to E46479 because they aren't pre-wired for accessories.

With AWD be sure that it has the Stability Control fitted, look for the switch in the console near the gearshift.

my 2 cents...