X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody install speed bleeders on their X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It lost its ""bleed mechanism" which resulted in fluid leaking. Look at my sig. I ride vintage bikes which shake rattle and roll but don't stop and am still alive. I'm way to **** to overtorque or undertorque anything. Housing was in perfect shape when i replaced it but you could see through it. Good thing for the company as they don't cover non-highway cars otherwise I'd be retired by now. Whatcha autox?

Originally Posted by Sandro
Interesting...

Mind sharing details of what kind of mechanical failure did you experience?

I have been using them for more ten years with my autox car and my DR650 bike and never had any problem. On my autox car I bleed brakes no less than 4-5 time a year.

I don't see how they could fail or cause failure, other than mishandling (like over torquing). When closed they are just like a normal bleeder, completely sealing off the the bleed port. What have I been missing?

About the other one-man operation mechanisms/systems, gravity, myvac, powerbleed, I tried and actually have them all, and they all work. By I find the speed bleeders more convenient.

Thanks,

- Sandro

Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Just be thankful that you don't have to bleed the ABS accumulator on the X....you should see the procedure in the Range Rover manual.....complex doesn't even describe the process.
Chris, can I ask you about that? I'd read that some ABS equipped cars require to you de-pressurize the accumulator. From your comment, is it fair to say the X-Type doesn't require that, and the procedure is going to be just like bleeding any non-ABS equipped car (i.e., just open the bleed screws and start pumping the fluid out)?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes Matt, the X doesn't require any depressurizing, it can be bled in the same manner as a non ABS vehicle by one of the methods described. I can't overstate the importance that if you are doing the 2 man bleed procedure of pump, hold, open bleeder, close bleeder, release that your helper must not let the pedal return at all while the bleeder is open. This will suck air and you will get nowhere.

Since you seem to really like to read up on this and find out the details (which is great that you do your homework), check out this link for bleeding a Rover - interesting read. http://www.rangerovers.net/maintenance/brakebleed4.html

Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
It lost its ""bleed mechanism" which resulted in fluid leaking. Look at my sig. I ride vintage bikes which shake rattle and roll but don't stop and am still alive. I'm way to **** to overtorque or undertorque anything. Housing was in perfect shape when i replaced it but you could see through it. Good thing for the company as they don't cover non-highway cars otherwise I'd be retired by now. Whatcha autox?
Thanks.

Maybe yours were not properly matched to your caliper and left the bleed port partially exposed, even when closed? Or for some reason they got loose and unscrewed while you driving?

With mines, when closed, the bleeding port is completely sealed, like in any normal bleeder. Even if the mechanism inside would suddenly disappear, there could be no leak.

- Sandro

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
ud

Thanks.

Maybe yours were not properly matched to your caliper and left the bleed port partially exposed, even when closed? Or for some reason they got loose and unscrewed while you driving?

With mines, when closed, the bleeding port is completely sealed, like in any normal bleeder. Even if the mechanism inside would suddenly disappear, there could be no leak.

- Sandro
Perfectlt mnatched to the caliper. And the shell was completely tight.

Nope, the sealed portion came out completely leave a shell there alone. You could see thru it when I took it out.

It failed because it was faulty. Not saying that it wasn't a 1 in a million fault but to me a 1 in a million chance of dying because you want to bleed your brakes the lazy way isn't a chance worth taking. Oh and if someone hits me with faulty brakes they will be named in the lawsuit, not just the faulty manufacture. If you've ever watched Pikes Peak racing, you'd competely understand why I'm a little salty on the product. Car hill climbing is just like that, only a little less organized and less safety barriers. In other words its loads of fun.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
Perfectlt mnatched to the caliper. And the shell was completely tight.

Nope, the sealed portion came out completely leave a shell there alone. You could see thru it when I took it out.

It failed because it was faulty. Not saying that it wasn't a 1 in a million fault but to me a 1 in a million chance of dying because you want to bleed your brakes the lazy way isn't a chance worth taking. Oh and if someone hits me with faulty brakes they will be named in the lawsuit, not just the faulty manufacture. If you've ever watched Pikes Peak racing, you'd competely understand why I'm a little salty on the product. Car hill climbing is just like that, only a little less organized and less safety barriers. In other words its loads of fun.
Sure can't disagree with your conclusions...

Again, thanks for sharing the details.

- Sandro

Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
ud

Sure can't disagree with your conclusions...

Again, thanks for sharing the details.

- Sandro
No problem, I too used to swear by speed bleeders. Until I had no brakes!