X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone interested in a kuda Phonebase for the X-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone interested in a kuda Phonebase for the X-type

Wheres the pics ?! Im really considering the kuda mount for my Garmin 660 nav, its either going to be the vent mount or the kuda mount (the one over the console, not the one nexto the passenger seat).

What nav systems do you guys use anyways ?

The Jaguar factory dvd base nav systems seem slow compared to the gps portable nav systems ...

Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd imagine the newer ones are better in the newer jags...considering the market of gps is changing so rapidly...

Hey anrou....no sense in crying over spilled milk is right! Dude I would have traded straight up with no problems! That sucks but oh well! What you have is nice now...what do you do about the radio being in front of the buttons for the heat...

Sorry for the thread hijacking btw everyone[X(]

Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Eh it was my thread to begin with....

As fas as the hvac controls, basically I leave them be for the most part. What I do is if I want to adjust them, I just tap the open / close button on the screen, and then let the screen retract, adjust the hvac to the desired point and then reopen the screen... No big deal, for me at least the hvac is sort of a set it and forget it item.

The GPS technology even though evolving at a pretty quick rate, is limited by the evolution of the basemaps. The coolest GPS stuff I have seen is the stuff the pc's are using now which superimposes the GPS route over the google earth map, giving you a 3d view of the route. Even as cool as that is, you are once again limited by the outdatedness of google earth maps, which at least in my particular application shows a car I sold 3 years ago in my driveway, and my neighbors house doesn't have a pool, which is has had for the past two summers.

The biggest evolution is the new generation of GPS recievers which lock on MUCH faster than the old ones did, as well as the fact that they don't really require a line of sight to the sky to get a good signal. My old GPS would get messed up when it exited a tunnel, and would take forever to reorient itself once you came out but were still in motion. This actually managed to get us somewhat lost in boston with their whole "big dig" undergound highway project.

Take care,

George

Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

I bet that was fun! I was more stating that back in 02 and 03 the whole navi systems I'd imagine were a little more fresh...shoot I had never really heard of navigation until say 04 and I worked at omax who sells them!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Yeah now I see your point....

Yeah the nav systems in earlier model year cars really are primitive by comparison to whats current today. My father in law has a 2001 bmw 740il with all the bells and whistles including factory widescreen nav, which was a $3100 option at the time. The display and the mapping features (inlcuding the lack of a touchscreen), make it look like a relic from the past, like a standard VGA monitor in today's day and age.

The maps are OK, but the last update was in 2004, or at least the last one he has, so anything that has changed since then, or say mid 2003 when they were complied, and you're out of luck completely. That's the other pita with factory nav systems, you're stuck with whatever mapping they have, and sometimes the only choice you have is to buy the dvd from the dealer at a significant cost. All the newer flashed based portable gps devices, you can update a map base as needed, by downloading them.

Take care,

George

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Thats definitely an upside to it for sure...you see the new mode of gps that shows you what the road signs say when approaching? Looked pretty sweet but I've never looked into it...I like my sense of direction enough to not want to lose it!