X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arm Rest Creaking Driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arm Rest Creaking Driving me nuts!

Has anyone had the same experience and found a solution?

The arm rest in my Xtype is creaking. It even creaks when I don't have my elbow on it and when I do it sounds like a container of styrofoam moving around. It is really annoying. I'm driving an 04 xtype 2.5 litre manual. The arm rest opens in two spots and the top slides forward for comfort.

I have tried to use some weather stripping in between the areas that open and close...but it has not helped.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been having the same exact issue. no idea how to get rid of the sound, so i just have to turn the radio up... Hopefully someone will have a fix for it. Mines been doing it for over a year now

Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude....i was about to post the same exact thing the other day!!! Mine does the same thing. But for now im with 04XTYPE and just turn the radio up!! LOL. But yea its beyond annoying. Im a person that must have an arm rested on something too. So ill be checkin this post for help also!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

I found a post on a UK forum that I am going to try today. In addition I am going to see if my mechanic has a torque screwdriver that I could borrow to tighten the various parts.

"Stopped mine creaking by using velcro, no i haven't stuck it shut. I've stuck the cloth side of it onto the bit that shuts so that instead of plastic rubbing on plastic, it rubs on cloth. Also stopped my glovebox making a noise.
Was told about using velcro to stop rattles and squeaks by my brother, a senior technician at bmw, apparently that's a bmw approved way of stopping squeaks"

I will let you know how it works out....

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will have to try that too. my glove box also makes the sound so that too will be getting some velcro. Thanks for the idea

Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

From what i Know its a problem since day one....a car review video pointed it out pretty much decided the car for the biased fool

Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Default Velcro Arm Rest Solution

According to the mechanic there are no torque screws to be tightened. The whole thing is held together with rivetts.

So, I velcro'd the whole thing with just the fuzzy part and I must say that it has improved the situation by at least 80%. It has gone from annoying to just creaking once in a while.

I hope you guys have the same positive outcome. I did use a lot of velcro and cut out little squares where the rubber knobs connect so that it still closes properly.

Cheers.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouverguy
According to the mechanic there are no torque screws to be tightened. The whole thing is held together with rivetts.

So, I velcro'd the whole thing with just the fuzzy part and I must say that it has improved the situation by at least 80%. It has gone from annoying to just creaking once in a while.

I hope you guys have the same positive outcome. I did use a lot of velcro and cut out little squares where the rubber knobs connect so that it still closes properly.

Cheers.
So far no anoying creaks with mine. I do have a buzz in the passengers door panel that when I add base and crank the toons comes out. Drives me nuts but not nuts enough to make me take off the door panel. I'd be willing to bet that one of the catches is broken off.