X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto Headlights, driver's side low beam out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto Headlights, driver's side low beam out.

I have an 04 Jaguar x type and after replacing Factory OEM Halogen bulbs with HID kits for both right and left side.
At first it worked fine, besides the people where i ordered screwed up the color temp, it was working fine.
after they sent me 6000k bulb replacement, i was able to replace it, but that is when everything went down south.
Long story short, I am now stuck as to what is going on, I have my driver's side headlight bulb not working (even with OEM halogen bulb). turn signals, highs, and parking work just fine.
also My auto lights will not work either, if I switch it on, it will just turn everything off?
Im very confused and do not know what else to do.

I have a 04 X Type 3.0 AWD 5spd auto

any help would be very appreciated. thanks

Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Bryan, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find that we will be able to help you out and get you all taken care of. But, we do ask that you stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We pride ourselves in being a better car club and as a part of this, we like to get to know one another. This also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is. So, grab a cup of joe, sit back, and enjoy the site.

As for your problem. I would first start with checking fuse F29 in the engine bay fuse box. Odds are, you have simply blown that fuse and that is what is causing all your problems.

If that does not fix your problem, how did the headlight housing plug look when you unplugged it for the conversion? Were the terminals nice and shiny or were they starting to look a little gray (possibly even a little rusty)? If they were gray/rusty, then odds are your problem lies there as the HIDs require a lot of power for the first few seconds and any sort of corrosion on the terminals can cause the ballast not to start. Granted, with the factory halogen bulb, it should have been fine.

The other thing that I will ask about is whether you installed 35W or 50W HIDs into your car. This may help me figure out what the original source of your problem is. Along the same lines, did you get a 50W HID bulb and a 35W ballast or vice versa. With HIDs, this all plays into whether it will work or not.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome, I was in a big rush i had to head to work, so my dearest apologies for not being very formal. I shall update and introduce myself to you all shortly.

Thank you for the quick reply, I am a new member as you know, and decided to join the family. I have been using this site to help tune up my X Type.

I am using 35Watt HIDs
my vision is not very good so its quite hard for me to see rust and what not, I am fairly sure that it could be a fuse and I needed to make sure what kind number amp and so forth. I so an electrical guide online and had a different looking diagram of fuse box and I got all confused.

I will post fuse box photos and other photos of my car (once i know how lol) and once i have more time.

but you are saying F29 fused? i read here about a f30? Like i said I have low beam out on driver side, along with auto on off lights
could f29 caused that to go out too? as they went out same time.
also another thing
I have installed LED turn signal lights and now i got the fast clicking thing inside, I was hoping is there a canbus relay to trick the system to think its full power? as LED run lower I am just trying to stop the fast turn clicks in dash

thanks again for your help

Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Bryan, I was just checking to make sure you got the 35W HIDs as a lot of people think that 50W HIDs are what should be in the car and they are wrong for 2 reasons: 1) they will pull too much power for the wiring to handle and will blow the fuses, and 2) they are not DOT approved and therefore illegal to drive on the roads. So, if you see a car with really bright lights, they installed the 50W HIDs.

As for the fuses in question, I may need to be a little more clear. Please keep in mind that in the early part of 2004, Jaguar renumbered their fuse boxes. So, depending on the month that your car was built, you may have 2 different fuse numbers. If you look in the driver's door jam, it will say the build month. If you are after a set of diagrams for your car, send me the build month and your e-mail address (in a private message) and I will send you the diagrams for your car.

As for the fuses, they are 20 amp fuses. The driver's side is F29 (for the later 2004 cars) and the passenger side is F30. Hence why you are seeing a reference to both of those. Also keep in mind that the driver's side (left side) for people in the US is the right side (our passenger side) for those in other parts of the world. This is where things can get a bit confusing. It wouldn't hurt to check both of the fuses as fuses do wear out and will fail at a lower current over time.

As for the LED turn signals, there is no magical trick relay that you can add to fix that. You have 2 options. You can buy new LED turn signals that are "CANBUS" compatible, or you can install a 15 ohm (rated at 15 watt) in parallel to each of the turn signal LED bulbs. That will slow your turn signal back down. But, you have to install the resistor on each corner of the car. So, it is your call. Based on what I am hearing, it will probably be easier and faster for you to just buy the new LED bulbs.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bryan, I was just checking to make sure you got the 35W HIDs as a lot of people think that 50W HIDs are what should be in the car and they are wrong for 2 reasons: 1) they will pull too much power for the wiring to handle and will blow the fuses, and 2) they are not DOT approved and therefore illegal to drive on the roads. So, if you see a car with really bright lights, they installed the 50W HIDs.

As for the fuses in question, I may need to be a little more clear. Please keep in mind that in the early part of 2004, Jaguar renumbered their fuse boxes. So, depending on the month that your car was built, you may have 2 different fuse numbers. If you look in the driver's door jam, it will say the build month. If you are after a set of diagrams for your car, send me the build month and your e-mail address (in a private message) and I will send you the diagrams for your car.

As for the fuses, they are 20 amp fuses. The driver's side is F29 (for the later 2004 cars) and the passenger side is F30. Hence why you are seeing a reference to both of those. Also keep in mind that the driver's side (left side) for people in the US is the right side (our passenger side) for those in other parts of the world. This is where things can get a bit confusing. It wouldn't hurt to check both of the fuses as fuses do wear out and will fail at a lower current over time.

As for the LED turn signals, there is no magical trick relay that you can add to fix that. You have 2 options. You can buy new LED turn signals that are "CANBUS" compatible, or you can install a 15 ohm (rated at 15 watt) in parallel to each of the turn signal LED bulbs. That will slow your turn signal back down. But, you have to install the resistor on each corner of the car. So, it is your call. Based on what I am hearing, it will probably be easier and faster for you to just buy the new LED bulbs.
Okay will do,
also are you familiar with auto headlightta ? why did it all of a sudden stop working ?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Bryan, yes I am. Let me look at the diagrams and maybe that will trigger something and lead me to a more precise location for your fault.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Bryan, how are you with wiring and/or a multimeter? Just trying to see what I can get away with here. The first thing that I would say for you to do is to open up the hood of your car and get access to your fuse box there. If you open it up, you should see a silver finned piece kinda near the center of the box. To the one side of it is relay R11 (diagram is in the top of the fuse box cover). Remove that relay and swap it with relay R4. Test the headlights again. Any change? If there is, you have a bad relay and it needs to be replaced. At this point, if the relay is bad, you will need to choose between headlights or wipers until you get a new relay from the auto parts store.

If the relay did not change anything, then I will need you to remove the relay that is in the R11 spot and then flip the relay over. If you look, you should see small numbers in the plastic next to each terminal (should be 1 thru 5). Match these numbers up to the slots in the fuse box. Using a multimeter, plug in the red lead to the #2 slot and the black lead can be placed on any bare metal part of the car (set the multimeter to read resistance). You should have a high resistance (anything over 5K ohm is good) with the headlight switch in the OFF or PARK positions. It should be a very low resistance (under 5 ohms) when in the ON and AUTO positions. If you don't have a low resistance in these two spots, then you have a bad headlight switch or the wiring between the relay and the headlight switch is bad.

What I am suspecting you are going to find is that when you have the headlight switch in the AUTO position, the resistance is going to be low, but in the ON position, you are going to have a high resistance. But, this is just a guess.

As for the driver's side headlight, from the sounds of things, if fuse F29 is good, then you are looking at a problem in the plug for the headlight assembly. This is where you will have to pull the headlight out again and if you want to take some voltage measurements there, let me know and I will tell you what to verify. But, I think you will find that you will have some corrosion inside the plug and it is leading to a high resistance inside the plug and therefore causing the one light not to work.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having trouble with all of these headlight posts. My passenger low beam is out in my 02 x-type, yet the high beam on that side works fine. I've checked the fuses and relays but it seems that every thine I read a thread there is a new fuse that I should have checked. How many fuses effect that one light? Also if the high beam works it shouldn't be the fuse or the housing melting... Right? Also I noticed that when I removed fuse f17 that the driver side lamp did not go out. Do I just have a goofy wiring set up and need to go threw every fuse?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Read through some more posts and got it figured out. Man I love this site.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by strausam
I'm having trouble with all of these headlight posts. My passenger low beam is out in my 02 x-type, yet the high beam on that side works fine. I've checked the fuses and relays but it seems that every thine I read a thread there is a new fuse that I should have checked. How many fuses effect that one light? Also if the high beam works it shouldn't be the fuse or the housing melting... Right? Also I noticed that when I removed fuse f17 that the driver side lamp did not go out. Do I just have a goofy wiring set up and need to go threw every fuse?
Its diffinitely a fuse issue
In my case I had only the passenger working and driver out.
What fuses have you checked ?
Since you have an 02 you'll be (from what I believe) my layout. As jaguar had revised fuse boxes in x types over the years, you research should be on 02 03 and 04 April in built (not sure exactly I believe its October )
Whatever the case check f16, f17 fuses