X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic to Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic to Manual Transmission

Has anyone switched out an automatic transmission for a manual on an X-Type?
How difficult is it to find a manual transmission, how difficult to install, and any idea of the costs?

Thanks, Barrie

Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Barrie, how much money do you have? Can it be done. Of course. But, this is not just a simple, drop one tranny, put in the other and connect up a linkage. In the modern day cars, you are going to need to connect up a dealership level computer to tell the car to ignore the transmission computer (you will be removing that or having a light on the dash all the time saying that there is a fault which can affect you getting tags for your car). Then you have to do some rewiring to transfer the back up light from the gear selector on the tranny to the switch on the tranny. Then you will also have to rewire the PARKNEUTRAL switch to the clutch switch to allow the starter to roll the engine. Don't forget having to add the clutch pedal and routing that through the car.

LIke I said, can it be done. Of course. But, this is not a simple thing. For what it will cost you, you would probably be better off selling your current car and then investing that money into an X-Type that has the manual transmission already.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

OR... keeping the automatic and buying a manual for the same money a conversion will cost you. 2 for the same price!

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:23 PM

European sportwagons can be had with a manual, so the hardware and software are available.
The questions are, is there a Ford transmission that fit the Jag 3.0, or how hard is it to get the parts into North America, and how much to put the pieces together in the car.
This is not a sound financial investment. It is an emotional investment.
I have been in love with the X-Type wagon since it came out.
The tiptronic is OK, but it is not a real manual.
It would be super cool to have potentially the only manual sportwagon in North America.

I currently have a 2007 Mazda 6 Sportwagon since new, and still love it with its tiptronic, as well as a 2007 manual Miata (MX5).
Do I need another car? NO.
Do I want a Jaguar X-Type Sportwagon? YES

I have found a sportwagon for sale nearby and will get up close and personal with it shortly.
The transmission doesn't need to be changed immediately. Maybe I can be happy with the auto & tiptronic?

I will keep you posted.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,277 Likes on 1,375 Posts

Barrie: I have a Sportwagon, which I love. But we also have a manual shift X-Type sedan (with the revised clutch) and the manual, in my opinion, is so much nicer. It is quieter, the engine note is different and better, the shift is silky smooth, and it is more satisfying to drive because of the manual shift....so I am very sympathetic to your desire to convert the Canadian-market automatic to a manual. In fact I have pondered the possibility many times and each time rejected it because of the complication of the multiple interconnections in these cars.
But if you find a straightforward way of doing it, I'd like to hear about it.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 PM

Greg, you have too many vehicles.
Why don't you sell me the Sportwagon and I will be able to keep you informed of my progress ?

Old 04-21-2021, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 2,108 Posts

I had a look at the electrical manual. Essentially the answer is not possible. You'd need to rewire most of the car and acquire and reprogram different modules to be able to have things work. The transmission ECU and the J gate are networked through the Controller Area Network, and there are 12 modules on the netwtork. If the connection is broken, or they don't see the "handshake" from the next module on startup, then nothing works. I have a laptop with dealer level software and I can't reprogram these modules, this is factory level programming.

Essentially the only way to do this is to import a manual transmission parts car from Europe or Japan with the engine and transmission you want, and swap everything over to your bodyshell (being aware there are differences in the components and modules between RHD and LHD), or import a car over 15 years old in the spec you want.

Perhaps doable, but no guarantees of success. And no, there is no Ford transmission available that I'm aware of that will keep AWD.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,277 Likes on 1,375 Posts

Originally Posted by barriectaylor
Greg, you have too many vehicles.
Why don't you sell me the Sportwagon and I will be able to keep you informed of my progress ?
You must be joking....:

Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 PM

TO SOV211: I am salivating.

TO: JAGBOI64: WOW! What a comprehensive response. Merci.
Yes, it does not sound easy, but as THERMO asked "How deep are your pockets?"

Options: Import the "Manual Kit" with all the necessary components, or the whole car?
As JAGBOI64 indicates, the European option is over s over 15 years old and importable.
Another option: Drop a Mustang 5.0 and 5-Speed into the engine bay?
Any Comments?

Lots to think about.

I really need to get up close and personable with a Sportwagon. An automatic with the Tiptronic can't be all that bad.
The automatic vs manual thing should not be a deal breaker.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Another option: Drop a Mustang 5.0 and 5-Speed into the engine bay?
Wouldn't come close to fitting, especially if it's the later coyote engine, that's a huge engine.

I have retrofitted the factory GPS navigation to my car, which is officially impossible. It involved sourcing all the components then building several wiring harnesses, both copper wire and fibre optic; and then I needed to reprogram a few modules, such as the radio ( which is possible with dealer level software). I ended up using components for the wiring harnesses that I had to find and salvage from various Fords that happened to use the same parts. To get to everything the dash comes out, along with all the trim panels on the left side of the car that cover the wiring trays, the rear seats come out and all the trunk trim to be able to run the new wiring.

Lets just say that knowing what I had to learn about the various computer networks in the X Type I'd never attempt an auto to manual conversion. I am fairly confident that if you put some other engine and transmission in the car nothing else electrical would work, unless you go very deep in emulating all those computer networks.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:22 PM

Maybe, I need to find a Sportwagon and live with it a while before opening up a can of worms.
A European Left driver with a Manual may be the safest bet. Shipping costs may be less than trying to retrofit a manual.

It was a fun and interesting post.
Thanks to all who participated.

I will keep you posted.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Shipping costs may be less than trying to retrofit a manual.
A friend brought in a Mercedes E class from Japan and the ocean freight was around $1400.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Default Found It ! ! !

After several mind changes, I settled on a 2002 S-Type automatic with the 4.0 L.

Very Happy. My immediate upgrade is a back up camera. I have a hard time seeing out of the abreviated rear windshield.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

First check the chain tensioners!! (Only the 4.0 has the problem.)

Old 08-22-2021, 07:32 PM

Will do. I am making a list of things to have checked out on my first stop at the garage.