Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Question AWD question?

My 07 didn't come with a book, but I would like to know if the X-Type is in AWD all the time, and what does that button on the console do that has a drawing of the back of the car with what looks like skid marks do? Sorry for the ignorance, but this car drives like it has claws in the snow, even better than the Audis I have had, and looks a lot better too......be cool..Mike

Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello & welcome , great to see you here . Yep 4x4 is permenant . You cant switch it in or out . Button , maybe traction control . I didn't have one on my 2.5 manual or on my current 2.5 auto .

Memebers who know will be along soon & explain?? Enjoy the forums.

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi there - the button is for traction control.

X-Types such as my 2002 model have a viscous coupling which is a sort of hardware & permanent traction control limiting the slip on any wheel but models around 2005 onwards don't have the viscous coupling and need the electronic traction control to achieve the same aim via your abs.. some models came with both fitted...

I love it, four wheel drive in a saloon car is great - if the back of the car skips out on a corner you actually feel it pull the back end back in line before it has slid out much at all - also bear in mind with four wheel drive and traction control (in your case) pulling away on ice is very easy but you can easily forget it is still hard to stop!

mrplow58 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 353 Posts

The system controlled by that button is Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) which is so much more than Traction Control!

TC aims to limit wheel spin when accelerating, but DSC does that plus it controls the handling of the car during cornering and braking by applying individual wheel brakes and reducing engine torque by reducing fuel injector pressure.

To do this, the system senses speed, each wheel's rotation, steering wheel angle and the yaw of the car. (Yaw is the angle between the direction you want the car to go and the the direction it's actually pointing)

mrplow58 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Thank you so much

I remember the viscous couplings, when VW introduced the AWD Vanagon(name in the states) They were bullet proof, but when one did fail you needed a bank transfusion. There were not many problems, probably because a VW van did not put out gobs of torque. On the early automatic Audi Quattros we had some problems with the seals between the automatic section and the differentials. I love how smooth and quiet this drivetrain is. The only real.......shall I say education I got with this car, was putting it in sport mode. I was more than a bit surprised with the new shift points, and how stiff the ride got. It was a beautiful thing. I wish I could have found a manual transmission car, but this one is just fine. For some reason, Americans don't like to shift. It took me over a year to find a manual trans black 928S with a cocoa interior, and sliding roof. I ended up picking it up at the factory, and with my company discount the car was only a little over $50,000, including shipping, and discounts for tearing through Germany and France for a couple of weeks. In the states it was over $64,000 It was one of my perks, for being one of the top 3 percent VW master techs, and a ring wearer. I just had to buy my house all over to afford it(It was a hard sell to my wife) For that little favor back in the early 80s, I have been letting her pretty much get any clothing she wants for over 30 years. Now she just gets a little upset, when she sees a new toy, in the garage......Life was great back then. Now I'm just a broken down old fart, whose life has just gotten better, with this Jaguar. The 928S is perfect now, so I will have to see how I can personalize the Jag. So far, I have purchased a mirror with a compass, and been bouncing around the forum investigating how I can hook it up, without causing any damage to this beautiful car.......Thanks again.....Be cool....Mike

Old 02-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

MrPlow, the Sport mode button only affects the shift points and I believe the throttle response, but has no affect on the suspension. So, any increased stiffness in the ride you felt was not because of that.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Red face Five Speed!!!!

I discovered that. I believe it was because I was driving like a human being while not in sport mode, and didn't notice the stiffness of the suspension, being it was -2 degrees Fahrenheit. You get things rollin, and frozen shock dampers get your attention. While stuck in a blizzard for two and a half hours taking four and a half hours to go 90 miles, from visiting my mom, I had plenty of time to read the owners manual. It was then that I realized how mother nature had screwed me again.......Be cool...Mike

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Dynamic Stability Control video demonstration;