Sponsored by:

the baby jag making a comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default the baby jag making a comeback?

Hey folks,

Some of you may remember me from the glory days of owning my troubled x type. Greetings to old and new members. But I saw an article today regarding a new baby jag, let hope it is a massive success as I will gladly buy another jag...but with more research this time haha

Jaguar's BMW 3-series rival

looks good too

The following 4 users liked this post by Disco stu55:
JimC64 (09-25-2013), MeeMo (11-26-2013), Redthing (10-18-2013), Stuart Beattie (09-27-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there Stu, how are you?

Be good to have you back with us with or without a Jag....preferrably with of course

Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

I wonder if they are going to have it sharing parts with the Mondeo (aka, Ford Fusion) again? Looking at the car, sure seems that way even though they are two different companies now. I have a Fusion and it is a good car. Would love to see what a RWD version of the car would be like. But, I am not holding my breathe. Lets see if the car even makes it to production. The big thing that has me worried though is they are talking about making the car "scalable" so that they can use the same parts for all of the models. What this is telling me is we are going to have a "cookie cutter" look like what most of the other manufacturers have. So unless they can convince me with performance and luxury, it makes getting another one a less tempting situation. I like the X-Type/XJ because you can look at the car even from 100 yards and know what you are looking at. The new design is falling into the look that everyone else has.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The XS will look like a smaller XF from all around, just as the XJ looks like a larger XF from front and front quarters. Brand uniformity, I guess, which is marketing for "a tad boring".

I can't really recognize the occasional XF in traffic, I must admit. Or rather, they don't really catch my eye. They aren't ugly and they have some nice small touches, but the overall style is very everycar. Then again, I guess that's why they are selling so well.

<hipster>All in all, bottom-line is that Jaguar's becoming too mainstream!</hipster>

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco!! Glad to hear you are still around That white Cherokee treating you well? I bet it must be comforting not having to worry about issues with your car as much as that X you owned.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I wonder if they are going to have it sharing parts with the Mondeo (aka, Ford Fusion) again? Looking at the car, sure seems that way even though they are two different companies now. I have a Fusion and it is a good car. Would love to see what a RWD version of the car would be like. But, I am not holding my breathe. Lets see if the car even makes it to production. The big thing that has me worried though is they are talking about making the car "scalable" so that they can use the same parts for all of the models. What this is telling me is we are going to have a "cookie cutter" look like what most of the other manufacturers have. So unless they can convince me with performance and luxury, it makes getting another one a less tempting situation. I like the X-Type/XJ because you can look at the car even from 100 yards and know what you are looking at. The new design is falling into the look that everyone else has.
This is my great grievance with Jaguar. Cookie cutter designs that blend in with everything else .

It is very ironic that when they where sharing Ford platforms they managed to do distinct, completely individual cars (S type and X type), but now that they are (presumably ) using different platforms, their cars look exactly like every other box in the road

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

That's true, I think the only new Jag that really stands out on the road is the F-type. Funny thing about the X-type is many people are surprised when I tell them its an 04...they think its much newer...

Edit: I'm actually happy about the new "baby Jag" mostly because they say there is going to be a coupe also, so I'd love to see a Jag coupe that is actually "affordable" instead of 100k+. I'd kinda like to see it as more of a mix between an XF and a F-type though, not just a small XF or small F-type.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey everyone, Oh I'm still kicking around, I was probably the youngest jag owner, now I'm in university and with that requires a different vehicle haha.

I didn't purchase a Cherokee, even though the srt8 looked good. I bought a 2012 (ordered 2011 from factory) jeep wrangler sahara unlimited with all the options. It then went under the knife a bit with plasti dipped wheels, bumper light bar, a led light slightly brighter then the sun, and my absolute favorite a train horn with on board air. Its perfect for cruising down white ave. Its reliable but it lacks that feeling that the jag had. Oh well one day I will own another. But I miss the jag, Everytime I see a x type I smile and think of striking a convo up with the owner or the many fond and some horrible memories I had with it.

I see Jim, alfa and thermo are still running the show, how is everyone? Its nice to seem some familiar names still kicking around.

I understand jag is following with a lot of companies but who can blame them, times are tough and jag has pumped out some nice cars recently ( f-type). I hope this baby jag will be a huge hit, because my next vehicle will hopefully be a jag ( 75% chance) or an over the top supercar. I want to see jag succeed and I think the x type was the perfect experiment to make future entries a success. Jag knows what doesn't work and from the looks of it a conservative entry with multiple body and engine options could give them the market cover they want and need to be successful.

The are benefits to cross platform sharing of parts, better/higher performance parts end up in the less expensive vehicles, similar to trickle down theory.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
It is very ironic that when they where sharing Ford platforms they managed to do distinct, completely individual cars (S type and X type), but now that they are (presumably ) using different platforms
To my knowledge, the XF underneath is just a slightly upgraded S-type, which in turns is the LS with a different body.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 10-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
I can't really recognize the occasional XF in traffic, I must admit. Or rather, they don't really catch my eye. They aren't ugly and they have some nice small touches, but the overall style is very everycar. Then again, I guess that's why they are selling so well.
Last week had a few hours at a local Jag/LR/Bentley dealership while whey were changing the oil. Spent the time wisely by "playing" with cars in the showroom. And could not help buy ask myself: "Will anyone, 15-20 years from now, remember the XF or spot it on the road?"

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 10-08-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>"Will anyone, 15-20 years from now, remember the XF or spot it on the road?"

My thoughts exactly and why, when I really felt that I needed to replace my X-Type" I shopped long and hard to find my '08 S-Type 4.2L.

EVERYBODY notices it, as they did my X-Type, not gonna be the same for the XF or F-Type I'm afraid.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default tata to the Jag

When it actually comes down to it what we all like and admire is the uniqueness of our Jaguars - the distinctive look, the build quality, power and ride. Looking at the new designs being coming along they don't look right - that distinctive shape is missing. It just looks like another roadster, one of the throng. I for one hope this is not TATA to the uniqueness of the Jaguar.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

This is the way Jaguar are going now, just another Eurobox!
I won't be replacing my XJ with a newer one, simply because I like the fact that you can tell that my car is a Jaguar without seeing any of the badging.
Nope, the newest Jaguar that will replace it, will be another X350...

Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by pab
>"Will anyone, 15-20 years from now, remember the XF or spot it on the road?"

My thoughts exactly and why, when I really felt that I needed to replace my X-Type" I shopped long and hard to find my '08 S-Type 4.2L.

EVERYBODY notices it, as they did my X-Type, not gonna be the same for the XF or F-Type I'm afraid.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Don't get me wrong, the XF is a great looking car which I adore a lot, but...honestly, seeing one in traffic gets me thinking "It could even be a Hyundai or Kia".
I understand that Jag had not many options to choose from in order to survive, but...I don't simply adore the X350/358 I love it. Can't say the same about the new ones though. Even the F-type...I was SO looking forward to this car and what did we get? A Mazda MX5 is 4-5 times cheaper more practical (at least it has a small boot when Jag designers decided to give the F-type another glove box) and gives you a smile just as big...Facepalm! Okay, it's silly to compare the MX5 and the F-type. But for the kind of money Jag is asking for the F-type one could easily get the benchmark (911). I agree that the 911 is ugly as hell (all of them in fact) but...you don't remember and don't care what it looks like as soon as you start moving.

I've seen so many "interviews" with Jag managers who said that the X-type project was a mistake and it's a crappy car after all. Okay, might be true, whatever. But I have a question...who did develop that car? Why no one says anything about lack of management skills within the company or arrogant dealers? Huh?

Seeing all this makes me a little sad, and next time I'm on the market I'll definitely stop by at my local Jag dealership but it won't be the only car manufacturer I'll be considering.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 10-09-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I really liked the look of the Bertone B99 concept car that Jaguar passed on. Great mix of modern and classic body styles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...&bih=815&dpr=1

Woulda been on my wish list for sure.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

The one thing bugging me about the Bertone B99 is the skirts. They've put a horizontal chrome stripe there and left the skirt under it black to make the body itself look less tall, thus evoking a similar look as the X300/X308. However, it also makes the ride height look absolutely ridiculous, you could probably climb a mountain on that thing

Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, just another Eurobox/UFEC(Universal Far East Car.....cf. with the UJMs of the 1970s in the motorcycle world)......but the Bertone 99 seems to hit the mark....could guess it was a Jag, even without the Leaper on the hood. Vrrrrm, vrrrrm....I want one....I could even be the "fool" injection (with apologies to Maisie and Marlon, "The Perishers", Daily Mirror cartoon series) !!!!!

The x type could have been one of the best sedans of modern times.....every time I delve deeply into the form and fit of my X type I am shocked at the build quality (in compared to modern offerings from Chrysler,Audi,VW, even Kia).....esp. in comparison to the 1987 xj6 I just got. Here is a thought for TATA.....just do the x type properly....no penny pinching.....a "real" warranty backed by real dealers in the USA. I bet 100s of thousands of us would want one, if proven to be "done properly"....the looks are still stunning and unique...I spotted one coming towards me, 10 days ago, from just under a mile away...low and sleek just like a cat on the prowl !!.....so just equip it with real quality state of the art parts under its skin..oh and road test it properly !!! I always remember the Tucker Torpedo, when I think of uniqueness of looks and potential innovation.

Rob.

Bruce in North Dakota (11-26-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thing is, the more mainstream a car looks the more of a chance it'll sell well. I don't think Jaguar is going to go back to the retro-theme.

And while indeed a lot of the current X-Type owners would like an updated X-Type, I assume a lot if not most of us bought our current X-Types 2nd hand. Buying a 2nd hand car generates no profit to Jaguar whatsoever, and I for one won't be buying any car when it's new because I don't want to suffer the depreciation.

The local dealer arranged a "Jaguar day", and our CEO got an invitation. I didn't. It's simple really; I'm not a potential customer for a new Jaguar.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Thing is, the more mainstream a car looks the more of a chance it'll sell well. I don't think Jaguar is going to go back to the retro-theme.

And while indeed a lot of the current X-Type owners would like an updated X-Type, I assume a lot if not most of us bought our current X-Types 2nd hand. Buying a 2nd hand car generates no profit to Jaguar whatsoever, and I for one won't be buying any car when it's new because I don't want to suffer the depreciation.

The local dealer arranged a "Jaguar day", and our CEO got an invitation. I didn't. It's simple really; I'm not a potential customer for a new Jaguar.
I guess you generate some sort of profit for Jag anyway since buying OEM parts brings extra cash to the company.

And thanks for another example of what is wrong with most Jag's dealers these days. Luckily some of them have been shifting their mind-frames.

Quick Reply: the baby jag making a comeback?