X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the baby jag making a comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

""Trying to find a gap to exploit is a real challenge," said Hallmark last year on the positioning of the new models. "Nobody is waiting for another competitor to enter a segment. For us to enter, we need to have a winning proposition. It has to have a twist, something relevant to the consumer. But the Jaguar brand should define everything.""

I've called my X-Type a baby JAG from time to time, bc it's smaller than an XJ, but it is of the same style. The new XJs look totally different, and I am ignoring those when I compare looks of the car.

I posted the quote above to highlight the fact that "Hallmark" says JAG has to come up with a twist to enter the market, and something relevant to the consumer.

Well, the X-Type's twist for me is AWD and the smaller size. Also, I'm glad to have a reliable V6 under the hood, and the classic XJ styling has me by the ballz. I put up pics of my X all the time here, bc, it's lowered, it's a Sport model, and looks awesome.

In my opinion, JAG already did this "new twist" thing, and, they did it right with the X-Type. It's an All Wheel Drive, V6 JAG, that looks like a JAG, and, it gets decent MPG, highway mileage is near 30MPG at 75MPH. The X-Type is not perfect, but no car is. This new 4 cylinder rear wheel JAG, that is grasping at the economies of scale (generic platform for future JAG models) to be economically relevant, and, it looks like a lot of cars I already see on the road. I guess I'm a loyalist, but watch, I'll probably buy this car when it comes out. Lol. Did the article mention the Price Point? I imagine 40K.

What I WANT to see is the X-Type re-released today with some engineering hindsight distilled into improvements. That said, sorry to steer this convo back to the X. Forgive me!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I would actually consider robbing a bank to drive the
Jaguar B99 Bertone, if it were truly the "new X-Type"

The only problem I find is that it also seems to have those goofy LED "Eyelashes" around the headlights. There are not adequate - or allowable - words to describe how I despise that particular form of crap.

I see it more and more, every day, on oh-so-many different new cars. I just wish that after Christmas they could take the decorations down and make 'em look like "normal" cars.

OR - better yet - put four lamp jugs on the nose, and make 'em look like classic JAGUARS again!

NO MORE LEDS!!!

Christmas comes but once a year. Let's leave it that way

Attached Thumbnails the baby jag making a comeback?-jaguar-xj75-platinum-concept-1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Bruce, eyelashes on a Jag are pretty gay. I would only drive it if my X-Type was getting serviced.

Attached Thumbnails the baby jag making a comeback?-x400story_01u_zps3a8c6d1c.jpg  

Last edited by Patterson; 11-26-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
I would actually consider robbing a bank to drive the
Jaguar B99 Bertone, if it were truly the "new X-Type"
......,,,,,OR - better yet - put four lamp jugs on the nose, and make 'em look like classic JAGUARS again!

NO MORE LEDS!!!

Christmas comes but once a year. Let's leave it that way

Agreed. Both about the B99 and the ridiculous generic looking led lights that every single manufacturer is apparently buying from the same Chinese toy shop.

But I have to say, although I have voiced my distaste for the new design direction many times, but I was just thinking about how much better, less Audi-esque and Jaguar-like that new XJ would look with the four individual light arrangement ( and maybe nicer grill and a large leaper) I am going to photoshop it if I am bored later lol.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Without seeing the results of your might-photoshop, I'd guess it'll end up evoking a Bentley image. The grille is fairly similar in size and shape, four round lights around it would be fairly Flying Spur -ish.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a cool looking car (from the first post). The wheels looked too narrow but the rims were nice. Personally I think that's a nice looking car if you want something that stands out a little from the BMW-Audi-Lexus crowd. Those door handle indentations bother me though on second look.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-29-2013 at 08:51 PM.