X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Back up sensor

The back up sensor on my 2003 X type work and they don't work. What should I be looking for to fix this problem? The don't work more then they work.
Thanks,
Adam

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Adam, what you want to do is to set the E-brake when the backup sensors are not working and have the car in reverse (it is preferable if you can get the rear tires up against the curb as you will see). Now, with the backing system engaged, you will need to get out of the car and put your ear near each of the 4 back up sensors (little flat spots on the bottom edge of the rear bumper. What you are looking for is them to be emitting a high pitch clicking/squeal sound. If you can hear that, then that sensor is working. If 3 out of 4 are working, then the one with no sound is your bad sensor. If none of them are making noise, then odds are your backup module is toast or you blew the fuse for the system. If all 4 are clicking/squealing yet you don't get the beeping sound, then odds are the speaker in the backup module (yes, the speaker is built into the module) is toast.

Hope this helps fix your issue.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thermo, would there happen to be an ajustment on or near the shifter or some kind of sensor that would make the back up sensors work or to just make the sensor sound sometimes when shifting back to drive or park?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a good info, I am in the same situation, I will check it out
also the speakers on the front and passenger side door are not working does that has to be with the back up sensors speaker in the backup module ?

What is the speaker in the backup module or backup module ?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Vai, if your backup lights are working, then your backup module is going to work. It receives the same signal as your backup lights. So, that will be a quick check to make. If the backup lights are not coming on, then adjustment of the cable will be needed. But, at the same time, if your tranny is going into reverse, I would venture to guess your backup lights are coming on too.

RF69, as for your main speakers not working, I would say 99% of the time it is because you have played the music too loud in the car and you have simply blown the speakers. If you need to know how to check the speakers to see if they are working, let me know.

As for the backup module, that is the computer brain (one of many inside of the car) that controls the back up sensors and lets you know that something is close to the car as you are backing up. The speaker is mounted inside of the module (black box under the rear deck, left side of the trunk as you are looking into the trunk). The speaker does nothing more than give an audible noise as to how close something is. It is very similar to the basic speaker built into the computer tower you have in front of you right now. Nothing fancy about it.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Thanks for your info Thermo,
Also my all 4 back up sensors are clicking/squealing yet I don't get the beeping sound and like you said : then odds are the speaker in the backup module (yes, the speaker is built into the module) is toast.

I will see if I can fix that buying or trying to find a new back up module online cheaper after all that is an extra most cars do not have back up sensors

Thanks

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Thermo, do I need to take the door panel out to install new speakers?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes, you need to take the door panels off to install new speakers. There are some writeups for this job on the forum. The panels come off fairly easily most of the time, although it is not uncommon to break a clip or two in the process. There is a screw behind a circular trim cover behind the door grab handle, then another screw on the bottom of the panel (facing up). Start at the corner of the panel and pull, then work your way across the door.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Yes, you need to take the door panels off to install new speakers. There are some writeups for this job on the forum. The panels come off fairly easily most of the time, although it is not uncommon to break a clip or two in the process. There is a screw behind a circular trim cover behind the door grab handle, then another screw on the bottom of the panel (facing up). Start at the corner of the panel and pull, then work your way across the door.

Thank you

Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Smile bacup sensors

I tested the backup sensors and all of them are squealing, for about 20 seconds then they stopped. I noticed after I tested them I put the car in reverse and the sensors worked as I was backing up. The second time I backed up the sensors did not work. I retested them again and they all squealed. Anything else to look for, and thanks for the info.

Adam

Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rf69
Thanks for your info Thermo,
Also my all 4 back up sensors are clicking/squealing yet I don't get the beeping sound and like you said : then odds are the speaker in the backup module (yes, the speaker is built into the module) is toast.

I will see if I can fix that buying or trying to find a new back up module online cheaper after all that is an extra most cars do not have back up sensors

Thanks
If it is an OEM system the speaker for the reverse aid system is located underneath the rear parcel shelf, NOT IN THE MODULE. Which is located in the spare tire well of the car, see the little black box to the left of the tire..... mounted with 2 10mm nuts.
If there was a fault with the system you would get a long beeping sound when you placed the car in reverse. I think from the sound of things that the speaker is bad.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Smile Backup sensors

I have more information on my reverse sensors. I had my son stand in back of the car while I put it in reverse with the key in the start position but the engine not running. Each sensor squealed and as he moved away from them they began to beep about 5 feet they stopped. But as he moved closer toward the car they started to beep again and about 6 inches or so away from the rear bumper they let out a steady squeal. Hope this might give some more insight to what is going on.

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 07-01-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure it isn't a sensor problem. I've had a few issues with mine over the years. Right now when you turn the car on and put it in reverse a solid beep to let you know it's broken. Then it works as it should, sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes no solid beep, sometimes nothing. Dealer diagnosed a sensor, even though when I do the ear test they all seem to sound the same. I basically had the same problem 4 or 5 years ago and it was a sensor. If we are placing bets, I'm all in on a sensor failure.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 PM

I just found out when I took the door panels off that the OEM Alpine speakers are wire harness.

Where I can find speakers wired harness to replace mine?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Thanks, How much for the Dealer diagnosed Sensor replacement just to have an idea

Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Default reverse sensor

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I'm not sure it isn't a sensor problem. I've had a few issues with mine over the years. Right now when you turn the car on and put it in reverse a solid beep to let you know it's broken. Then it works as it should, sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes no solid beep, sometimes nothing. Dealer diagnosed a sensor, even though when I do the ear test they all seem to sound the same. I basically had the same problem 4 or 5 years ago and it was a sensor. If we are placing bets, I'm all in on a sensor failure.
Mine seem to work now and then, sometimes when I put the car in reverse they work fine, sometimes they don't work at all. When I test them all the sensor sound and as I back away from the bumper they beep, strange.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure how much the dealer fix was, mine was done under warranty.

If you order door speakers from a place like Crutchfield, they will include the correct speaker connections.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if i have 3 working and 1 dead then can i just unplug the faulty one? or do i have to replace it?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Smile reverse sensor

I did some more checking of the back up sensor. My son parked his car in back of mine. I turned the key to the start position and the shifter to reverse, the alarm sounded, as he backed up the sensors beeped until he was far enough away they stopped. I had him pull the car back to the original position in back of my car and this time I started the engine, foot on the brake and engaged reverse no sensor noise at all. Not even the three beeps the owners manual says will sound if they are not working. What's up with this?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

hi guys ,on my car .when the reverse sensors stopped working it was due to a faulty connection to the module (rust in the pins),the module is in the boot wheel well left hand side under the sat.nav cd changer.

they sometimes get wet where they are ,early s type s had problems with leaky boots

maybe the x type's are the same

Quick Reply: Back up sensor