X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad ignition coil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ignition coil?

Hi - I have a 2002 X-Type, 3.0, and the check engine light has come on along with the "cruise unavailable" warning, and is idling roughly and hiccups sometimes on acceleration. I've searched through some posts, and while I have yet to get the computer codes checked, it appears it could be from one or more bad ignition coils. If that is the problem, I'd like to do the replacement myself - can someone provide me with instructions, or is it best to purchase a manual?
Thanks!
Jason

Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the codes read before you do anything. Bad coils are not the most common cause of the symptoms you describe. Mostly likely cause is a Vacuum leak. Do a forum seach for "vacuum leak". The mose common leaks are casued by bad O rings on the two valves on the passenger side of the intake, a hose that splits on the front of the engine under the plastic cover, and the break booster line up by the fire wall. Replacing coils is quite an involved process--same as changing the spark plugs. That involves removing the entire upper intake manifold. I'd try to find a vacuum leak first.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Get the codes read before you do anything. Bad coils are not the most common cause of the symptoms you describe. Mostly likely cause is a Vacuum leak. Do a forum seach for "vacuum leak". The mose common leaks are casued by bad O rings on the two valves on the passenger side of the intake, a hose that splits on the front of the engine under the plastic cover, and the break booster line up by the fire wall. Replacing coils is quite an involved process--same as changing the spark plugs. That involves removing the entire upper intake manifold. I'd try to find a vacuum leak first.
X's 2, cruise unavail is a vacuum leak, dont worry about trying to find it if you havent changed out the 3 big culprits
upper/lower intake manifold tuning valve o rings(old are yellow, new are green sealant covered, remove the upper IMT valve to check)
brake booster vacuum line
pvc hose to new ribbed style

If all these have been done already then you can worry about the what and where. if not change all 3

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM

You were right - the codes came up P0171, P0174, and P0133 which, from my forum searches, tells me everything you already did with the exception of the last which indicates a bad O2 sensor. I read that the sensor, though, could be reading faulty simply because of the other vacuum leakes and may not be bad - do you recommend replacing it anyway, or do the vacuum repairs and see if the code comes back?

There is also this information from the code reader:
STFT Bank 1: 5.4%
LTFT Bank 1: 19.5%
STFT Bank 2: 3.9%
LTFT Bank 2: 19.5%
Fuel pressure: 5.4 Psig
Intake Man Press: 9.4 inHg
Mass Flow Sensor: .45 lb/min
Throttle Position: 3.1%

Do these help me in any way to define just where the vacuum leak might be, or just stick to the "Big 3"? And do you know what STFT and LTFT are?

Lastly, any recommendations on where to buy the parts?

Thanks!
Jason

Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by wjbell
You were right - the codes came up P0171, P0174, and P0133 which, from my forum searches, tells me everything you already did with the exception of the last which indicates a bad O2 sensor. I read that the sensor, though, could be reading faulty simply because of the other vacuum leakes and may not be bad - do you recommend replacing it anyway, or do the vacuum repairs and see if the code comes back?

There is also this information from the code reader:
STFT Bank 1: 5.4%
LTFT Bank 1: 19.5%
STFT Bank 2: 3.9%
LTFT Bank 2: 19.5%
Fuel pressure: 5.4 Psig
Intake Man Press: 9.4 inHg
Mass Flow Sensor: .45 lb/min
Throttle Position: 3.1%

Do these help me in any way to define just where the vacuum leak might be, or just stick to the "Big 3"? And do you know what STFT and LTFT are?

Lastly, any recommendations on where to buy the parts?

Thanks!
Jason
your stft(short term fuel trim and long term fuel trims are out of wack because of the vacuum leaks. You need to fix those and do a hard reset battery/modules so your long term fuel trim doesnt continue to screw with you after you fix the leaks. Disconnect the negative battery cable, touch it to the still connected positive to erase the long term fuel trims. rememebr to reset windows, sunroof, clock and radio when youre done

Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my experience, the sunroof does not need to be reset....

Just posting to avoid time trying to figure out something that may not be needed....

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy
from my experience, the sunroof does not need to be reset....

Just posting to avoid time trying to figure out something that may not be needed....
well since i try not to give customers theirs car back broken..i always reset the limits. No not always do these loose presets. But many times they do...why chance a "my sunroof doesnt 1 touch anymore" and whats there to figure out...ask the question

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of your help, Brutal; I'll let you know how the repairs go. Do you or anyone else have any good experiences with a particular parts vendor?
Jason

Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Call ken at motorcars(site vendor), and if you get a generic 02 sensor online from many a vendor theyre alot cheaper than the ones that come with the connector. Just cut off your old connector and solder and heat shrink the wires