X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad week-car died- is alternator fried??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Bad week-car died- is alternator fried??

Hello all;

I recently posted about my positive battery cable needing replacing and getting really hot and my battery light has been coming on every now and then.

Well, today I was at a light and all the lights on the dash came on including the tranny light and I could feel the car drop to safe/limp mode. Instead of slowly driving somewhere, my dumb a$&, turns the car of and of course it does not come back on. I was stranded at the light. I turn the flashers on and eventually the flashers die and I loose the remaining battery. AAA gets there, jump starts me and I get home normally. The battery light did not come on for the rest of the trip. SIGH.

Question is this my alternator probably shot or is this just a battery/positive cable problem???

Help please!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Went to the Auto parts store and they tested my battery. Battery is good.

So this problem is entirely caused by this bad cable or alternator at this point.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Spike, most likely a bad cable. Replace the cable and then see what you have. I have seen many a people think they have a bad alternator only to find that it was something else. The alternator in this car is a beast and rarely fails.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris.

Hope you are right. There are a couple of shos here that make custom cables, but I might just bite the bullet an but the positive cable from the dealer to avoid another incident. I have changed the alternator on my 05 Mercury sable before, hope that I that x needs it its not harder than that!!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Replaced every single cable positive, negative, the one that runs to fuse box. ,and the battery. Car did exactly the same thing at a light. AAA Recharged and I got the car to the auto parts store. Alternator comes up bad. It took me 6 hours to get all the cables out and in. Sigh.

Please help with alternator replacement. Already ordered one cheaper than the cables and with a lifetime warranty. How do I take this mother out???

Please help

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I looked and can't find it, but someone posted a "How-to" remove and replace the Alternator here recently...It goes into pretty good detail as far as how to do it...Maybe it was Thermo..

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

No alternator post from me. I know it is advisable to remove the bumper cover to start going after things if my memory is correct. I also seem to remember that you have to unbolt the A/C compressor and let it "hang" to give yourself access to the alternator.

This is probably what you are after: Replacing the alternator in an X-Type

Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I am planning on doing this over 2 days because it is very unpleasant. I am halfway to taking the alternator out:

I wish I would have taken the car in for this. I have tins of stuff of and probably need to take out more

Attached Thumbnails Bad week-car died- is alternator fried??-null_zpsae877682.jpg   Bad week-car died- is alternator fried??-null_zpsfd27f7dd.jpg   Bad week-car died- is alternator fried??-null_zps8305d906.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Spend a full day trying to remove the alternator and all I got out is the bottom bolt. Of course I got the coolant hose, air box etc all out, but at this point that top bolt is stripped and I am going to have the car towed to the mechanic unless I can get that bolt if this morning. Even if manage to get the bolt out I would still have to take the fans out, it's just like the whole car was built around that thing. I enjoyed changing the spark plugs and changing the transmission fluid in the car, but this is brutal,

Just in case I managed to pull thru on my own; how do you loosen the alternator belt?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

You are a hellofa Mech to tackle this one..the Belt tensioner is accessible through the right front wheel well when you remove the inner liner use a 3/8" drive ratchet or breaker bar...this will also help you access some the alternator

Old 10-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
You are a hellofa Mech to tackle this one..the Belt tensioner is accessible through the right front wheel well when you remove the inner liner use a 3/8" drive ratchet or breaker bar...this will also help you access some the alternator
Not so much. I am waiting for the flatbed to get here now. :-(

I already took most things out of the way. Hopefully my mechanic can do it quickly since it's going to rain for the next few days in Houston and that means no outside for the E type or XJS. I will have to rent a car or use my mothers or grandmothers vehicles.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

I should also note that thanks to my X type I can no longer say ""my Jaguars have never left me stranded"" to those people who look at my XJS and E type as ticking time-bombs

Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hey boys;

The car is in the shop, as I mentioned earlier I got 50-60 percent of the work out of the way to get the alternator out, so my mechanic is hoping to have her ready for me today.

Is there anything else that needs to be replaced while the alternator is out? All the battery cables I replaced myself already, but I just want to know if there is another little eccentricity that I need to take care of while the alternator is out. I HATE "no start" situations so much!