Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery size and power

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022 | 10:06 AM
|
Default Battery size and power

Hello,

I live in Spain but use this Jaguar Forum because it in English and is a very useful resource for information and advice.
I have searched the X-Type threads and canīt see any reference to the best battery size (amps per hour and total amps) for an X-Type 3.0 V6 petrol.

I have a UK 2005 X-Type 3.0 V6 Petrol Sports Premium Estate (manual) and today I had to call a breakdown truck (in Spanish) to jump-start my completely dead existing 85aH 800A battery, which I only bought in February 2021. The jump-start worked OK and I drove the car to the car workshop where I bought the battery last year and demanded (in Spanish) a free replacement under warranty. They agreed to a like for like replacement battery but they have fitted a 80aH 700A battery instead. When I pointed out that the new battery was not the same, they said that the new one was actually better. When I stood my ground and insisted on a new 85aH 800A battery, they said OK but it would need to be ordered in and would be available in the next two weeks. So I am now driving around with a new 80aH 700A battery, which works OK, waiting for the garage to phone me when they have a new 85aH 800A battery in stock to install it as promised.

The reason for this post is that the experienced manager of the workshop insisted that the now installed 80aH 700A battery is better than the previous 85aH 800A (now dead) battery and I donīt know enough to question that fact. I have attached pictures of the 2021 85aH 800A (now dead) battery and the currently fitted new 2022 80aH 700A battery, to show the brand names. I think that the manager of the workshop was talking about the currently installed 2022 80aH 700A battery being a better brand, whereas I am focussed on the power of the battery insisting that it should be a 85aH 800A battery for my car.

For my 2005 3.0 V6 Petrol Manual X-Type, is a 80aH 700A Tudor Intensivo battery better than a 85aH 800A YUASA YBX5000 battery? - I have no idea.

All advice welcome.

Last edited by ChrisDHorner; 08-17-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2022 | 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...petrol-212012/

CCA = Cold Cranking Amperes. EN = European Norm
Same thing.

CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Generally speaking, it is easier to start an engine in a warm environment than in a cold one. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

https://www.batteryequivalents.com/g...endations.html

Old 08-17-2022 | 04:54 PM
Veteran member

ChrisDHorner, as for which battery is better, there is no real standard out there for what makes Brand A battery better than Brand B when you look at the same type of battery (say lead acid vs lead acid, when you start comparing a lead acid to say a spiral wound, then you have pros and cons to consider). Now, with this being said, the numbers of a battery do play a factor in how it will perform and how long it should (key word here) last. Please keep in mind that it is very possible that both of those batteries were made in the same factory, on the same assembly line, by the same workers. I know in the US, you really only have 2 major manufacturers that produce the 100's of different manufacturer batteries (ie, all batteries are either Exide or Johnson Controls, regardless of the name on the sticker).

So, what makes one battery better than the other in your case. The same number has 2 benefits in your case. The CCA of the battery is key here. The first point to ponder is that a larger CCA is not going to have to work as hard to start the car as a smaller CCA. The larger CCA battery should not drop as much voltage when hit with a big load like a starter. Therefore, the starter is going to get a bit more kick when starting and help get the engine spinning. This is especially noticable when you have a worn out battery that is not living up to its rated CCA number. So, a 800 CCA battery near the end of its life may only put out say 400 CCA. If that worn out battery is in your car, you may notice that you have to put the key in the START position and let the engine roll say 3 or 4 revolutions before it will catch. Where you put a brand new 800 CCA battery in the car and you barely roll the engine and it will catch.

the second thing is the ability of a battery to filter alternator noise. In older cars (pre-90 era cars), this was not that big of a thing. But, with getting computers in cars and pushing the computers to do more and more with the car, having a steady DC voltage in the car is critical. I use the new and old 800 CCA battery (where the old battery is only capable of 400 CCA). The output of an alternator is what is referred to as a DC ripple voltage. It is bouncing up and down by a few volts. The average is 13.7VDC, but it is really bouncing between say 11.5 and 14.5VDC. Computers HATE THIS!!!!! The battery takes this DC ripple voltage and sucks up part of it and gives back some, smoothing the voltage to a constant 13.7VDC. As the battery loses CCA, more of this ripple can make it past the battery, especially under heavy load conditions (think a cold, rainy night where you need the headlights, wipers, heat, seat heaters, rear defroster, etc). For those that have tried to push their batteries as long as possible, most start complaining about getting random error codes to pop up. They can reset them and the code will not come back. This is a classic sign of this DC ripple voltage making it through. You can use the same thought process using a large V8 motor (your large CCA battery) and a small inline 4 car (small CCA battery). Both are capable of the same horsepower, but you throw a heavy load on that big motor, it is going to absorb it and barely slow down. Where that little inline 4 is going to be fighting to stay alive.

If I need to do some more explaining, please let me know. Having worked around batteries for many, many years, I understand them a bit more than others do. The one battery I played with could power a small town for a number of hours (I used it to power a Trident submarine and keep the nuclear reactor safe).

Old 08-17-2022 | 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

@Thermo okay, now you're just bragging yours is bigger than mine =;~)

Old 08-17-2022 | 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-17-2022 | 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

There is not much I can add to all above, other than this: I usually tent to buy the most powerful battery of the best brand, which I can fit in space-wise. And if you have heavy consumers in your car (like massive stereo-system and subs) you need the most powerful battery anyway. Jags actually have a bit of voltage-drain, i.e. if you do not drive (to recharge) often enough, this will kill you battery over time. So it's worth thinking about WHY your battery died after 1 year - if you do nothing else and do the same thing with the new battery again, there is a good chance, the next one will also be dead after 1 year. I have too many Jags to drive them all, thus I am permanently making the round with 2 battery chargers - when the sun is shining I always charge some batteries (I am on solar). Also, I store the batteries of my unregistered cars in the garage, where (in winter) it is less cold. Low temperature kills batteries. Cheers, Peter

Old 08-17-2022 | 07:42 PM

There has been plenty said on this site over the years regarding batteries. I am going through a battery issue at the moment. I tested the battery that is fitted to my car (and was there when I bought it 4 years ago), and a load test showed that it is performing at 25%. It is only a 500CCA battery. I was aware of that last point, and ordered a new one at 800CCA, and the dealer got one for me that was 850CCA, but was 30 cm too long to fit in the battery stowage box. I asked them to send it back and added that I would accept a 700CCA one, at the minimum, and the preferred size for an X Type is 800CCA, and 315mm X 175mm X 175mm My dealer told me that (for me) the battery, operating in the climate I live in, in Australia, could be anything over 650CCA. In Spain, being a fairly temperate climate, you may be able to do the same (if he is correct). I should add that the old battery did the job reasonably wel, but that, on two occasions, dropped to where I had to recharge it to start the car this Winter.

Old 08-18-2022 | 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Dell, well, submariners do it deep too. LMAO. Do not tell your wife that one. He he he he he he.