X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beef Up Xfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beef Up Xfer Case

Hi! I've been considering swapping my XJ for a newer X-Type. After reading the posts here it seems they are fairly reliable cars with the Xfer case being the weak point. I don't see myself driving this car hard all the time, but knowing me there are going to be some times where I push it a bit. If you just keep up on maintenance and checking the fluid levels are the drivetrains heartier than their reputation suggests? Are there any options to re-inforce/replace the xfer case with something that would be able to take a bit more beating? I'm still holding out for an XKR, but have seen a couple of older Triumphs and they certainly have character. May go that way for my convertible fix, but wouldn't want to trust it as a daily driver. I'm considering other interesting vehicles as daily drivers, and the X-type is at the top of the list unless I run across a nice XKR in my price range. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to see an XKR in person to know if it's 'The One' and hate to drive halfway across the country for a car I'm not 100% sure of.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a nice X-Type 04 and newer, and you should not have any issues as long as you dont beat the hell out of it. I have my 04 with 61,xxx miles on it and when I changed the fluid in the transfer case this past spring/summer for the 1st time it was just alittle dirty.

They are nice cars and as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. Find one at your local Jaguar dealer that is still covered by their select warranty. For those just in case incidents, if any.

If you were closer I would say buy mine.. Its up in the FS section.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

JW, as for beefing up the transfer case, you would be the first to do it that I am aware of. I have contemplated it, but know I would need to get a few things for my MIG welder since you would be welding on cast iron (not the easiest stuff to be working with).

As for reliability, I have 115K miles on mine and all the parts are original (I believe, bought the car with 83K on the ODO). I drive fairly conservative, but at the same time, I will get on the gas to get up to speed when needed. So far no problems. So, if you are looking for something to mess around with, then I would say to go with the X-Type. Granted, the XKR will be a lot more fun to drive. Me personally, I am looking at possibly upgrading to an XJ (what I was really after, but found a good deal on my 03 X).