X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beeping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Beeping noise

Every once in a while I get a beep from behind the dashboard, right in front of me. It seems to happen when the outside temp is between 80F and 85F and below 32F. Other than these two similarities I can find no other reason for the beep. Any ideas out there.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Every once in a while I get a beep from behind the dashboard, right in front of me. It seems to happen when the outside temp is between 80F and 85F and below 32F. Other than these two similarities I can find no other reason for the beep. Any ideas out there.
I know mine beeps when the temp is just above freezing. I'm on the west coast of Canada so although we've hit the 80s a couple of times I've never heard the beep then.

Easiest way to check though is when mine goes off for the freezing it shows the temp in the message center on the dash.

The following users liked this post:
Adam Lueb (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Smile Beep

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I know mine beeps when the temp is just above freezing. I'm on the west coast of Canada so although we've hit the 80s a couple of times I've never heard the beep then.

Easiest way to check though is when mine goes off for the freezing it shows the temp in the message center on the dash.
I don't any message either in the heat of cold on the dash. I talked to Jaguar about this and of course they wanted me to bring the car in for a full diagnostic, for $300. I said no thank you.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Smile Beep

When I started out today it was 79 degrees when I returned it was 85 degrees however, no beep today. It doesn't seem to do it all the time in connection with temp. So I am thinking it is something else.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

When I started out today it was 79 degrees when I returned it was 85 degrees however, no beep today. It doesn't seem to do it all the time in connection with temp. So I am thinking it is something else.
I wish all I had to deal with are beeps. My car has gone completely insane. I press the brake pedal hard and it goes into engine system, gearbox and dcs failures. No gas petal, revs go to 2K. But wont throw a code. Turn off then back on and it's fine until I stomp the brake pedal. This weekend I was fooling around and got it to do it with the motor off and in park. I want to drive it off a cliff.

I think I used to be one of the strongest Jag supporters here. I honestly cant wait to get rid of the car.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Could it be the air refresh button? I've noticed that when it's on it only stays on for about five minutes, and then I think it beeps when it shuts off.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the air refresh button. It starts off in the on position, then about 5 minutes later it turns off and beeps. You don't know it does it, because the light shuts off leaving you with a mystery sound. Note that it doesn't always do this. It picks and chooses when it goes on and off.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Smile beep

Originally Posted by harryc
Its the air refresh button. It starts off in the on position, then about 5 minutes later it turns off and beeps. You don't know it does it, because the light shuts off leaving you with a mystery sound. Note that it doesn't always do this. It picks and chooses when it goes on and off.
HarryC: I have no idea what the air refresh button is. You don't mean the recirculate button? That does come on by itself when it gets really hot out. The last couple of days it has been in the 70'sF and no beeps.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Smile car troubles

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I wish all I had to deal with are beeps. My car has gone completely insane. I press the brake pedal hard and it goes into engine system, gearbox and dcs failures. No gas petal, revs go to 2K. But wont throw a code. Turn off then back on and it's fine until I stomp the brake pedal. This weekend I was fooling around and got it to do it with the motor off and in park. I want to drive it off a cliff.

I think I used to be one of the strongest Jag supporters here. I honestly cant wait to get rid of the car.
I had a list of car problems when I first got this car, then the battery went one day, got a new one and almost all the problems went away, except now and then the back up sensors go off in reverse when there is nothing in back of me and of course the beep. British cars always had "funny" electrics. I think your problems might be electrical in nature.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

HarryC: I have no idea what the air refresh button is. You don't mean the recirculate button? That does come on by itself when it gets really hot out. The last couple of days it has been in the 70'sF and no beeps.

Yes, the recirculate button. Thats the culprit. It decides on its own when to recirculate, then when it shuts off, again on its own, it makes a beep that appears out of nowhere. it drove me nuts for weeks trying to find what was beeping. I actually had to stare at the dash and pay attention to figure it out.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Smile beep

Your correct the recirculate button has a mind of its own when it comes on, when you first turn on the HVAC you can press the button or if it is hot enough it will come on by itself. First car I had that this function worked that way. Perhaps that's what I am hearing. It has been cooler the last couple of days as it has rained between Irene and this other storm off the coast for about 8 days, so the temps have only been in the 70's maybe hitting 80. But I haven't heard the button going off. Today it is only going to hit 78 or so, I bet I don't hear it.