Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

how about them HD shocks?!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I saw those but the oem bilstein shocks were more expensive so I assumed they were better, silly me.

But your saying the HD bilstein shocks are better?
Jaggyx, it depends on what your definition of 'better' is. Some people want a smoother ride, some people want a firmer ride, it all depends on what you want. Personally I want to go firmer because after doing the sway bars I want to see how far I can push this thing but the gf is pregnant and driving the X now so I'm looking at going back to stock.
I was just recommending those shocks as they are another option that nobody had listed yet.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about them HD shocks?!
I just put these bilstein hd (blue and yellow) shocks two weeks ago and so far i like mine so much, they are much comfortable compare to stock (not sports) one. It seems that bilstein also have sports strut and shock, they are black in color, a little cheaper and not sure how they feel tho.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On my 2006 Sport, I purchased and installed Bilstein 'comfort shocks' with H&R springs, and what a beautiful ride.... even with 19" wheels, it rides better than stock. Firm enough for hard cornering with reduced body roll, but still elegantly cruises as she should. Perhaps the life of the shock will be shortened due to them being too tall for the spring, but I may just keep swapping them out due to how much I am enjoying the setup. My 2002 had the KW Variant Coilover kit, and if you are looking to be shaken like a paint-mixer, go for it For Auto-cross it was phenomenal, but for everyday driving, I would apologetically decline.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Really? On comfort shocks?! I'm on the stockers right now and my ride is bad. Its just bumpy and bouncy. I'm on 18's and the mechanic at my shop said I don't have to replace my shocks yet. So I'm wondering why my ride is bouncy and bumpy. 18's with falken tires, could it be stiff sidewalls? Any advice?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 AM

j_bond, what did you do with your old suspension?

Jaggyx, your ride is bouncy because the damping qualities of the shocks are designed to work with the stock springs. The shocks actually control the suspension movement, the springs are primarily there to support the weight of the car. If the springs are stiffer than the shocks are valved for they will not be strong enough to control the bouncing action of the springs.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Dang, so then is this going to happen to jbond eventually or can those hold the springs?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM

IMO it's probably already doing it, he just hasn't noticed. Or else the struts are new enough they haven't started it yet. Or he actually has the sport struts and just doesn't know it - although I doubt that last one, seems like he knows what he's talking about.
Jaggy, what springs do you have again? It's possible his spring rates aren't as high which would prevent the shocks from bouncing as much.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Really? On comfort shocks?! I'm on the stockers right now and my ride is bad. Its just bumpy and bouncy. I'm on 18's and the mechanic at my shop said I don't have to replace my shocks yet. So I'm wondering why my ride is bouncy and bumpy. 18's with falken tires, could it be stiff sidewalls? Any advice?

It absolutely can be sidewalls. If you are wearing Falkens, they are likely a summer compound. If temperatures get low a summer tire will turn into a hockey puck.
I always utilize an 'All-Season' tire on any of my AWD vehicles. it is a softer compound and will not shrink in colder temps. I'm at 6,000miles on my current setup and still no ride difference, she still rides sweet.
My Bilsteins did say 'comfort' shock on the box.
Oh, and thank-you all for your vote of confidence that I know what I am talking about I try my best to be useful

Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Also, I will note the 'logistics' of what is being theorized about "stiff" springs and "comfort" shocks has relevancy, but I believe 'less-so' in this particular case of the X-Type....

Especially when concerning H&R springs. The springs match the factory springs in tension, but have been shortened and then (as the factory will note) "Progressively tuned." That means the same "progressive" attributes of the spring are still present when under rebound stress as a stock setup.
Because the ride height is not changed as abusively, there is less contradiction between the opposing forces. I really don't foresee a problem with my setup in the future.(but promise to be honest and inform you all if there is)
Also because I have weight reductions to my X-Type, this will reduce the sag. (lightweight battery,Gutted trunk,deleted resonator,lighter mufflers,skinny driver & NO heavy audio equipment) You can even tell from my pictures that my car still has more wheel gap than others running my setup, and I also have no rubbing and my wheel setup is .5" out of stock rolling diameter.
And you will argue that is not enough weight reduced, but I would advise to you all, we measured before and after replacing the battery and gutting the trunk and I gained back a 1/4" ride height.

Last edited by j_bond; 11-13-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM

I apologize for so many posts, but I believe I should also mention the 'subjectivity' and 'perceptive' interpretation of ride quality for each driver. THAT in itself will make a huge difference!!!
I am very accustomed to driving horribly rigid tuned sports cars with brutally violent suspension settings and rigid sports custom engine mounts that increase vibration as well. I am also accustomed to driving buick-like Lexuses(Lexi, LOL) and Benzes that float and handle like soft butter. I tend to be preferential to tighter setups that may really bother some, but I am particular to. My X-type is definitely in the middle with this current setup, but others may push it further towards uncomfortable... hard to say.
In medicine we utilize a 'Borg pain scale' a 1-10 for each patient to rate their pain, BUT before that, we need to do another diagnostic test that compares how they perceive pain compared to the majority literally by pressing very hard into the mastoid process(behind the ear) to perceive tolerance.... EVERYONE is different.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j_bond
I apologize for so many posts, but I believe I should also mention the 'subjectivity' and 'perceptive' interpretation of ride quality for each driver. THAT in itself will make a huge difference!!!
I am very accustomed to driving horribly rigid tuned sports cars with brutally violent suspension settings and rigid sports custom engine mounts that increase vibration as well. I am also accustomed to driving buick-like Lexuses(Lexi, LOL) and Benzes that float and handle like soft butter. I tend to be preferential to tighter setups that may really bother some, but I am particular to. My X-type is definitely in the middle with this current setup, but others may push it further towards uncomfortable... hard to say.
In medicine we utilize a 'Borg pain scale' a 1-10 for each patient to rate their pain, BUT before that, we need to do another diagnostic test that compares how they perceive pain compared to the majority literally by pressing very hard into the mastoid process(behind the ear) to perceive tolerance.... EVERYONE is different.
Very true, Mr Bond.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by j_bond
Especially when concerning H&R springs. The springs match the factory springs in tension, but have been shortened and then (as the factory will note) "Progressively tuned." That means the same "progressive" attributes of the spring are still present when under rebound stress as a stock setup.
Are you saying the H&R springs have the same overall spring rates of the stock comfort springs? If so, HOW do you know this? Have you measured the spring rates or does H&R say their springs and the X comfort springs have the same spring rates? If so then I think I found my suspension upgrade. A short drop like that with my upgraded sway bars will make for a very fun and capable ride without sacrificing comfort.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

well I can't contribute to this... I don't know much about suspension hence me starting this thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:38 PM

Basically the spring will get stiffer progressively as it compresses. Adapting as much as possible to the shocks.

Say at 1 inch of compression the spring is 100 lbs/in
At 2 inches it would be 120 lbs/in
at 3 inches it would be 140 lbs/in and so on.

Linear springs will stay the same rate, so at 1 inch it will be 140 lbs/in and at 3 inches of compression it will still be the same rate.
Linear springs will inexorably blow out your stock shocks for sure.

Regular/Linear springs have the coil constant throughout it's structure. A progressive spring will have the coils come closer as it winds up on one end, this allows a softer initial bound, and a progressively stiffer reaction as it gets compressed due to cornering or bump.
General feel is a soft ride, but the vehicle will pitch less and initial turn in is more responsive dichotomously feeling the car start to lean.
It's a cost alternative to getting a good matching spring & Shock setup if all you want is a little stiffer ride for spirited driving, without having to give up the soft suspension.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

That makes sense, thanks for you help

Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Jaggyx, I find it strange that your x-type appears so much 'lower' than mine in your sig pic....

Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hm yeah I was wondering about that too. Maybe its my wheels which makes is look lower. 18x8 Offset 38mm, how about you? Are you lowered on H&R? It could also be your new struts giving you increased ride height.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 AM

Hm yeah I was wondering about that too. Maybe its my wheels which makes is look lower. 18x8 Offset 38mm, how about you? Are you lowered on H&R? It could also be your new struts giving you increased ride height.

19x8 with +42 offset on H&R springs and bilsteins.....

Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm then I think it might be your new shocks and struts. Since they are new they don't really "sag" like mine do. Mine have 60k miles on them so they are on their way out.

Quick Reply: Best X Type Struts