Sponsored by:

Best X Type Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default j_bond:

Originally Posted by chknhwk
Originally Posted by j_bond
Especially when concerning H&R springs. The springs match the factory springs in tension, but have been shortened and then (as the factory will note) "Progressively tuned." That means the same "progressive" attributes of the spring are still present when under rebound stress as a stock setup.
Are you saying the H&R springs have the same overall spring rates of the stock comfort springs? If so, HOW do you know this? Have you measured the spring rates or does H&R say their springs and the X comfort springs have the same spring rates? If so then I think I found my suspension upgrade. A short drop like that with my upgraded sway bars will make for a very fun and capable ride without sacrificing comfort.
I think you may have missed this, I would really like some information pertaining to spring rates between the stock X-Type and H&Rs, if possible.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Opinion? Experienced feedback?

Originally Posted by j_bond
19x8 with +42 offset on H&R springs and bilsteins.....
I went in for an alignment and learned I have to replace my front struts. I have comfort suspension and figured since I have to replace the front struts, maybe I’ll just swap over to sport. Then I came across some H&R springs and it seemed like a sign that I needed to do this...

My car already sits at about 1.5in sidewall to fender front and back. I’m on 18x8 with 40mm offset and the shoes are Pirelli 225/40/18. I just bought Bilstein Sport struts and shocks for the front and back and I plan to replace the existing comfort springs with the H&R’s.

So the question for j_bond or thermo, or anyone who has insight, if I end up not really liking how low it sits with the H&R springs can I use the former comfort springs with the new sport struts and shocks? Or am I going to blow out the struts and shocks?

Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 X Type 2.5 Ltr (X400) and the Ride is very noisy even the "Cats Eyes" in the middle of road sound like I've fallen in a ditch ???? Car only done 100 K Km. I asked a few guys they say that is normal. I don't think so as our XJ6 4.2 was a dream ride ???
at 20 years old ???? Maybe because it the X Type was made by Ford
When i doo hit some rough road it sounds very Metellic bumps ??
Any one experienced this

The shocks are not leaking and car does not bounce when puched down on when stationary
What is the problem Please If any one has experienced this we have had it 12 years now are are very care ful drivers
thanks
Malcochevy

Old 08-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Malcochevy
I have a 2004 X Type 2.5 Ltr (X400) and the Ride is very noisy even the "Cats Eyes" in the middle of road sound like I've fallen in a ditch ???? Car only done 100 K Km. I asked a few guys they say that is normal. I don't think so as our XJ6 4.2 was a dream ride ???
at 20 years old ???? Maybe because it the X Type was made by Ford
Any one experienced this

The shocks are not leaking and car does not bounce when puched down on when stationary
What is the problem Please If any one has experienced this we have had it 12 years now are are very care ful drivers
thanks
Malcochevy
Its nothing to do with 'The X type being made by Ford'.

The ride and handling compromise was carefully selected by Jaguar, regardless of where the suspension geometry came from.
The X type was designed to target Generation X generation back when new and therefore rode more sporty. Its totally unfair to compare it to an old XJ6 4.2 car.
Even my 308 XJR rides softer.

My X type with comfort suspension rode and handled quite well for my taste. I've since just changed to the OEM sport springs and Bilstein B6 shocks and these ARE a bit firm- rides like a BMW- a bit fidgety.
For you, I would check that you have the comfort suspension. If you have, I don't know of a way to get the car softer.
May be something like the old Rover 75 is better suited to your ride tastes? Or a bigger Jaguar XJ (non R model)

Old 08-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2004 X Type 2.5 Ltr (X400) and the Ride is very noisy even the "Cats Eyes" in the middle of road sound like I've fallen in a ditch ? Maybe because it the X Type was made by Ford
Any one experienced this
Malcochevy
Hi , @Malcochevy Welcome to the party. I experienced the same noisy and rough ride, something like a super market shopping cart, when I first drove my car.

I believe 100K miles is enough to say the suspension has served its life expectancy - that and the rubber mounts around the suspension. So one could argue noisy and rough is to be expected around 100k miles.

When I replaced the front struts I also replaced the frame rubber mounts the struts attach to. My mechanic mentioned that the original rubber mounts had disintegrated in his hands when he removed them. And my car only had 42K miles on it at the time. That's when I knew, if I wanted a smooth ride I need to replace the suspension pieces first - wherever there was rubber - which I did. And the result was no more noisy/harsh feeling ride.

Achieving a quite cabin was another matter and required a bit more work.

My suspension choice and the materials I used to quite the cabin noise are listed in my signature.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the Info on the X Type Suspension noises ? The ride we have endured for some 20,000Km so we put up with it but it certaintly doesn't feel like a luxury Motor vehicle
# Your quote :- When I replaced the front struts I also replaced the frame rubber mounts the struts attach to. My mechanic mentioned that the original rubber mounts had disintegrated in his hands when he removed them @ 42 K Well that's sad for reliability Hey ??
Front Struts you mean the Shocks and springs I presume. My Bump Stops are yellow and just feeling them they also crumble. BUT bump stop are only for large potholes or rough road when springs are fully depressed. That's not the case on 'CatsEye markers"
Im going to take it to a Suspension Guy some time soon and suggest the Rubber mountings etc.
Thanks
Malcochevy

Old 08-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Front Struts you mean the Shocks and springs I presume. BUT bump stop are only for large potholes or rough road when springs are fully depressed.
Im going to take it to a Suspension Guy some time soon and suggest the Rubber mountings etc.
Malcochevy
Yes I mean the shocks. I replaced the shock mounts (get OEM mounts) and front and rear, upper and lower, control arms. The rubber dries up over time, the rubber issues are more a matter of time than miles.

Have the mechanic ensure everything is seated, tightened up correctly after all the suspension upgrades. The ride should now be tight, no rattles or crashing sounds when you hit small bumps, and resposive to driver input.

Good luck!