X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problems and need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problems and need help

2002 with a 2.5. Cruise not available message came on about a mth ago. Didn't have a scanner so I took it to a shop they said bank 1 and 2 were lean and it needed intake gaskets. Quoted me $500 and change! Hit Napa up and $40 and a few hrs later car was running the best it ever has. 3 days later same problems and now the car wants to chug under a load. Bought a snap on mt2500 and it told me lean bank 1 and 2. Couldn't find and lose hoses or lines. Then it threw a maf code. Replaced that now the car reads the same codes but now the car is in restricted performance and is throwing another code telling me the throttle body is out of adjustment. Erased it on accident but I. Sure it will be back on after a few starts. I pulled the 2 it or whatever valves and the prongs looked good but just to be safe I sealed it with some clear high temp silicone (it was 11pm no stores were open) same problems. I did adjust the throttle body because after being a part a half dozen times I noticed it was open a tad and the car wouldn't start. So I'm sure that's why the adjustment code keeps popping. I'm beating my head against the wall here. Is there somewhere I'm not looking that ? Or any feedback would be Apreciated. Tonight I'm going to tear it back down to the intake gaskets and start over once again and hope maybe I missed something. That's where I'm at, at this moment. Ooh and maybe a week ago when it chugged on me instead of backing off I floored it for a few seconds and came home and read the codes and had a #5 and #6 misfire and crank sensor read was bad. But that was the only time I got those codes and after that it went into restricted performance mode.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Wonderful spell check changed some words. Not prongs o rings on the intake valves

Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,908 Likes on 3,210 Posts

circinus, remove the cover off of the engine and then find a large hose that is running from the front valve cover to the side of the intake. This is your PCV hose. If you look on the underside of it, I bet you will find that it has split (especially if you have a smooth hose, not a ribbed hose). After that, I would check the wiring going to the motor side of the throttle body. This wiring is known for getting damaged and can lead to what you are seeing too.

Go Mudhens. I grew up in Swanton. Go Buckeyes.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Just took the intake off and oil everywhere. Think I found the problem. Again.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure you have the reinforced PCV hose. With a lot of oil in the intake change out the PCV. If your still having issues with the throttle body, check the wire harness. I had an issue when removing the intake cowling. One of the wires pulled loose. Check all your vaccum hoses. Also, check the battery AMPs, sometimes that will cause a problem.

Be patience, there are about 5-7 little issues that causes this problem. There's a lot of people here that will help.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Here's my update- new PVC hoses looked fine, no rot or cracks but I wrapped it with duct tape because I'm unable to get new ones tonight and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Nothing loose everything seemed in check. Aft it was all back together I started it up and cleared the codes and all that did nothing. Still in its limp mode cruise still not available and I'm getting p1254 code. Just frustrated with this car. And to add insult to it all I'm a mechanic who builds hot rods and bikes and I can't fix my wife's econo car.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like someone had the same problem under "S type". Type in -jag S type R code P1254??? - and do a search. There's some comments there that should get you pointed in the right direction.

The throttle is all electronic on the Jag X-Type, therefore the sensors on the gas pedal and throttle body need to be in cinque -sp.

Double check your wires and make sure one isn't broken.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can help you out.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM

Found the problem. It was in the throttle body. And it was so obvious I'm kicking myself in the butt. It had gunk built up just right and wasn't letting the butterfly close right. Took the whole thing apart cleaned it good even put a little polish on it so it won't gunk up as fast and after I started it up it cleared everything on its own. Hopefully no more headache. Thanks for all the help and helping me find places to look for things guys. I really appreciate it.