X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered the 2011-2012 disc via overnight delivery & it is arriving later today. May still have problems in looking closely at Greytop instructions. The original map disc, though it looks completely authentic, was not being recognized as a 'map disc' by the nav unit. Hardly a scratch on it, but still wasn't being recognized. So if the reloading/reprogramming process relies on it, not sure the new disc will do the trick. At least I don't have long to wait to find out !

Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blank screen fixed!!!

First of all I want to give a special THANK YOU to Greytop for info that allowed me to fix my Jag for $212 instead of the $4500 the local Jaguar dealer wanted to charge me. I also had responses from Solidex and want to thank him also.
The Jag dealer ran a diagnostic on my Jag which cost me $122, then told me it needed a new display screen because it was completely shot, and would cost me $4500.

Several people on this forum told me the display screen was not more than likely not the problem and Greytop really laid it out for me with the updated NAV disc, so I decided to try that first.

I ordered the latest update (2012) NAV disc yesterday from a different Jag dealer and it arrived today. As soon as it came I started the Jag and took out my old disc. Then I put in the new NAV disc (leaving the car running the entire time). At first the screen was still black and I thought, oh **** another failure to fix this thing. But about five minuets later the loading must have competed and it took off. Everything is up and running, display, heater (I can finally take it off of defrost on high), air, clock, everything is wonderful. Life is good again.

So, all you guys with this blank screen problem, do yourself a favor and get the NAV map update from your local Jag dealer and try it before you go through all crap and lay out a ton of money for a new display module or a new dvd deck.
The newest update disc is $199.

Thanks Again for all great advice on this forum.

Chris

Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Default Blank screen fixed!!!

So sorry "micheal97217", I almost forgot to thank you too, for your advise.
Thank you MICHEAL

Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ranbarn54
Ordered the 2011-2012 disc via overnight delivery & it is arriving later today. May still have problems in looking closely at Greytop instructions. The original map disc, though it looks completely authentic, was not being recognized as a 'map disc' by the nav unit. Hardly a scratch on it, but still wasn't being recognized. So if the reloading/reprogramming process relies on it, not sure the new disc will do the trick. At least I don't have long to wait to find out !
Ranbarn:
If you have ordered the new disc forget about the old disc as the update disc carry all the updates for the operating system including the controls for the screen, heating etc.
Just relax !, load the disc and don't worry if the screen goes blank and the heating starts to run, this is all part of the loading process, once the leaping Jaguar appears on the screen you will have control over all the functions once more. Whatever you do, DO NO INTERUPT THE LOADING PROCESS until the disc has loaded but if you do all you need to do is repeat the whole loading process again. So please be assured the hardware is extremely robust and the software will not corrupt unless you damage the disc. Best wishes and enjoy your Jag Greytop

The following users liked this post:
Luca Italy (03-04-2024)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Default Jinxed

Originally Posted by Greytop
Ranbarn:
If you have ordered the new disc forget about the old disc as the update disc carry all the updates for the operating system including the controls for the screen, heating etc.
Just relax !, load the disc and don't worry if the screen goes blank and the heating starts to run, this is all part of the loading process, once the leaping Jaguar appears on the screen you will have control over all the functions once more. Whatever you do, DO NO INTERUPT THE LOADING PROCESS until the disc has loaded but if you do all you need to do is repeat the whole loading process again. So please be assured the hardware is extremely robust and the software will not corrupt unless you damage the disc. Best wishes and enjoy your Jag Greytop
Have to congratulate imeagle for getting his system going again. The frustration of having so many things crash at one time is well-known to everyone here.

I received the new 2011-2012 disc on the same day as imeagle, but with a totally different result. Even with a great deal of patience, (giving well over an hour for the programming to load WITH the engine running), nothing changed. Still have the 50 & 51 codes blinking. I hate to change parts too quickly, but am beginning to believe I may actually have a fried Nav unit. Again, my scenario was slightly different in that the navigation function never worked. Every time I pressed the navigation button, I would always get a message that the disc was not recognized as a 'map disc'. Not sure what to conclude now other than the possibility that a malfunctioning nav unit is actually the problem. Like everybody else, I would certainly like to avoid a trip to the dealer over this !!

Luca Italy (03-04-2024)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ranbarn54
Have to congratulate imeagle for getting his system going again. The frustration of having so many things crash at one time is well-known to everyone here.

I received the new 2011-2012 disc on the same day as imeagle, but with a totally different result. Even with a great deal of patience, (giving well over an hour for the programming to load WITH the engine running), nothing changed. Still have the 50 & 51 codes blinking. I hate to change parts too quickly, but am beginning to believe I may actually have a fried Nav unit. Again, my scenario was slightly different in that the navigation function never worked. Every time I pressed the navigation button, I would always get a message that the disc was not recognized as a 'map disc'. Not sure what to conclude now other than the possibility that a malfunctioning nav unit is actually the problem. Like everybody else, I would certainly like to avoid a trip to the dealer over this !!
Ranbarn:

The error message 50/51 denotes that the control buttons have lost communication with the devices, this is a software problem.

So switch on ignition and remove disc.

Switch off the ignition.

Switch on the ignition start the engine and insert disc (you should hear the disc running in the trunk) do not touch anything and do not switch off the ignition.

The screen will show "loading disc" the screen will black out and the heater might start blowing, ignore this and wait for the leaping Jaguar to appear on the screen (taking approximately 10 minutes) at this point you should have control of the heater and the other services, .

If having followed this procedure you still have no luck then it must be a hardware problem, presuming the disc you have purchased is OK ?.

If the screen is showing the error message then the screen is working that leaves the CD player in the boot and the optical wiring harness make sure the wiring is firmly connected to the CD and the optical device in the trunk, both of these devices are available from good Jaguar breakers at a fraction of the new prices

Fingers crossed Greytop

Luca Italy (03-04-2024)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM

I think the introduction of so much electronic equipment into modern cars has left the Dealers and their technicians behind most are trained to deal with the oily parts but have to rely entirely on diagnostic equipment to fault find on the electronics & in most instances the complete replacement of expensive units when an awful lot of the problems are simply software problems requiring a knowledge of how the systems work. So maybe it is about time that the manufacturers of this equipment devoted some effort into training technicians to understand these devices and repair them rather than relying on simple diagnostic systems that are programmed to fault major components for complete replacements. I'm not holding my breath but I do hope

Old but still functioning Greytop

Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ranbarn,
You may need to reflash the operating system of your NAV/Head Unit. This is the only way I could clear my 50/51 code on my 06 VDP. A factory NAV disk would not reset it. I had to use a reflash disk (same name, LOADING.KWI, but a slightly small file size). The reflash disks are very specific to exact car types, and are not interchangable. I am not a mechanic, but did consult one to resolve this issue.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Greytop,

From one greytop to another, thanks very much for your patient, detailed explanation. Although it has not worked for me, it was very enlightening in that I understand the system and how it functions. I have come to the conclusion that either there is a physical problem with the Nav unit, or it has lost programming as 200volts mentioned. Unfortunately, although MANY people have talked about this re-flashing program, I have never been able to find out where to locate it for downloading.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future. Just got off the telephone with one who did seem to understand the problem and says they can re-flash for about $125USD.

Thanks again

Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Ranbarn:
200volts is right, Jaguar agents have access to a re-programming disc precisely for this problem it's just a matter of finding one
Good luck Greytop

Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Question

Originally Posted by jag_genius
have you tried to holding phone.. and menu button? disconnect the battery?

Jag_genius can I use the navigation disk load spot to play dvd's? or mp4 dvd format cds? and do all jags that have the nav system have a back up cam?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM

Hello, FactoryJaguarTech
can you tell me if I can use a different phone with my jag other than tht old moto tht used to be in it? I did not have the phone in car when I bought it. Is there some kind of adapter I can plug in so my new driad razr will work in it I do have Verizon service.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I have a X-Type 2002 and accidently hit the update software button in the system menu. Now i got a black screen like many others here also have described. Would be very nice if someone could help me fix this problem and send me the file to update the nav system. My email is sledge23@hotmail.de
Thanks in advance...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for this but if anyone can email me the flash update I would certainly appreciate it. Got in the car yesterday to come home and no nav screen, flashing C1 50 51 and only the defroster is coming on. The radio works but can't see anything.

I have a 2003 X-Type. I really don't feel like putting out $200 for a new disc as the one in the car is okay for me as I replaced it in '09 . The instructions above aren't doing the trick so I'm sure I need to reflash.

Thank you in advance.

Rick Green
RickMG at swbell.net is the email.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blank screen, 50,51 errors, hot air blowing

Hello Guys,

Could anyone send me flash file or software file please, as I'm having same problem. My satnav screen is blank, little screen shows 50 and 51 blinking and hot air comes through vents. I have found "loading.kwi" file online, but it's 80MB size and I have burnt it onto CD-RW than DVD-R and I will try DVD-DL tomorrow. I have checked all fuses, connections, also unplugged battery, but nothing happened. I'm really desperate, as I'm going for trip to the europe and I really need my satnav back! My email address is chrisp_1981@yahoo.co.uk PLEASE HELP as I really run out of ideas!
Thanks.

Last edited by chrisp1981; 04-18-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: my car is x-type 2001 3.0.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by chrisp1981
Hello Guys,

Could anyone send me flash file or software file please, as I'm having same problem. My satnav screen is blank, little screen shows 50 and 51 blinking and hot air comes through vents. I have found "loading.kwi" file online, but it's 80MB size and I have burnt it onto CD-RW than DVD-R and I will try DVD-DL tomorrow. I have checked all fuses, connections, also unplugged battery, but nothing happened. I'm really desperate, as I'm going for trip to the europe and I really need my satnav back! My email address is chrisp_1981@yahoo.co.uk PLEASE HELP as I really run out of ideas!
Thanks.
I presume you have been trying to load a new mapping disc ?
The procedure for loading a disc is quite specific and must be followed.

1/ turn on your ignition and remove disc
2/ switch on ignition, start engine and insert disc into player.
3/ under no circumstances switch off the ignition until the leaping jaguar appears on the nav screen. Once the jaguar is up all the services will be restored ie, the heater controls etc.
I have published this before on an earlier post with a full explanation if you are unsure have a look at the earlier post.

Good luck Greytop

chrisp1981 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greytop
I presume you have been trying to load a new mapping disc ?
The procedure for loading a disc is quite specific and must be followed.

1/ turn on your ignition and remove disc
2/ switch on ignition, start engine and insert disc into player.
3/ under no circumstances switch off the ignition until the leaping jaguar appears on the nav screen. Once the jaguar is up all the services will be restored ie, the heater controls etc.
I have published this before on an earlier post with a full explanation if you are unsure have a look at the earlier post.
Good luck Greytop
Greytop, thanks for the reply. My problem is that I don't really want to buy a new disc on the possibility that it might work. I just bought one about three years ago and where I live the streets haven't changed too much since then and the disc still looks like brand new, not a scratch so I don't think it's corrupted.

What I was hoping to get was the update file to run. I will most likely end up taking it to a dealer. Thanks again I do appreciate it.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Default Reflashing system

Hi,

I just bought my dream car but playing with all menu buttons iI have started soft update and like a idiot switched off engine, of course I have same problem with code 50-51 can you help me with s/w cd to made my screen running again please.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Default Help black screen and code 50-51

I just bought my dream car but playing with all menu buttons iI have started soft update and like a idiot switched off engine, of course I have same problem with code 50-51 can you help me with s/w cd to made my screen running again please.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never recv'd any SW disc
I disconnected the battery for 30min
Then reconnected it and put the nav disc back in the player and left the car with the ignition on position 1 after about 30mins
It sorted itself out and the system has worked fine since.

Quick Reply: Blank Navigation screen