X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower Motor Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blower Motor Replacement...

Forgive me if this is already explained somewhere. I did searches, but can't seem to find anything on a X-Type. I have a 3.0 that I've been told needs a new blower motor. Does anyone have an idea where this part is and what the difficulty level of this job would be. I can probable handle a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Download the JTIS from this site. It will help you a ton and will have step by step instructions

Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefshb
................. Does anyone have an idea where this part is and what the difficulty level of this job would be. I can probable handle a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10.............
You should recognise the Blower Motor location in relation to the vents in this drawing:

The removal and replacement instructions in JTIS are some of the briefest I've seen:

1. remove the Blower Motor lower cover
2. disconnect the electrical connector
3. remove the Blower Motor retaining screws

Of course, this doesn't guarantee you don't need to be a contortionist to get to it!

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Blower Motor Replacement...-x-type-heater-blower-motor.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Thanks, guys. I tried to install JTIS last night. It runs, but there are no pictures. Will have to look at, again. I'll look this weekend to see if I can spot the blower motor...something tells me this isn't the part I need, though. The engine light is on and I was told the blower motor never would cause that. The noise I hear is coming from the engine compartment.

I have an appointment to have it looked at by a different mechanic on Friday, so we'll see what he says.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM

So I took my car to another mechanic and they told me what I thought was the actual issue. I need a radiator cooling fan motor...not a blower motor. So now here is my question to the forum crowd...do I replace the motor in question or do I go ahead and replace the entire fan assy? I found this one on Ebay and they have over 680k positive feedbacks with a 99.9% rep, so I'm not concerned with getting a bum part. My only question is should I just go ahead and replace it all since I'm there? Who knows how long until the other motor may give, right?

What to you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Jaguar...667d2e&vxp=mtr

Last edited by chiefshb; 09-29-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

chiefshb, I am not questioning the shop, but why do they think it is the fan motor? I know you mentioned a noise in the engine bay, so, that may be the answer. But, from our experience the fans hardly ever fail and the control module for the fans is what fails 99% of the time. If the fan sounds like it is going to blow up, then yes, the fan is bad. But, if the fan simply is not turning fast enough or not turning at all, then I would be looking at the control module first.

One other thing I would inquire about is ask them if the fan shroud has the new or old style plugs on the fans. In 2004 Jaguar switched the plugs because they used a new style fan controller. So, there are 2 different style plugs out there for the fans. I can not get the link to come up, but you can probably ask them what year vehicle it come out of and then go from there.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
chiefshb, I am not questioning the shop, but why do they think it is the fan motor? I know you mentioned a noise in the engine bay, so, that may be the answer. But, from our experience the fans hardly ever fail and the control module for the fans is what fails 99% of the time. If the fan sounds like it is going to blow up, then yes, the fan is bad. But, if the fan simply is not turning fast enough or not turning at all, then I would be looking at the control module first.

One other thing I would inquire about is ask them if the fan shroud has the new or old style plugs on the fans. In 2004 Jaguar switched the plugs because they used a new style fan controller. So, there are 2 different style plugs out there for the fans. I can not get the link to come up, but you can probably ask them what year vehicle it come out of and then go from there.
It's making a ticking/squealing sound when it runs. He said it didn't need to be changed out just yet, but if I want to do other things to the X or my truck, I've been instructed it will be fixed (fiance's orders).

I'll find out about the plugs. Thanks for the heads up.