Sponsored by:

Blowing ABS Module Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Blowing ABS Module Fuse

Hi and welcome...
Sorry to hear about all your problems, especially when the dealer doesn't fix it correctly...
First off, a fuse normally blows under two conditions:
1st being a direct short to ground. This can happen anywhere in the wire loom and in the control module itself. Finding a short in the system is a real pain in the....and sometime the best fix is to replace the entire wire harness if the module checks out that is.
2ndly, a fuse can blow when you try to pull more Amps than what the circuit calls for. This happens if their is too much resistance in the wire/bad connection...etc. This type of fault is much easier to find since it's normally due to a bad ground or corroded wire or corrosion build-up on a ground wire somewhere....

Anyway, it sounds like you have a bad short somewhere...where it is, is a good question....I am surprised that the service tech couldn't find it....with todays tools and electronics, tracing the wire and locating the short can be done in a reasonable time. I think the problem is the young guys don't truly know how to do it. Its a lost art I suppose. (best of luck to you)

As for replacing the 7.5 fuse with a 10 amp fuse or higher. I suppose you can do it, but there is a reason why it's 7.5 amps. The wire/wires for that circuit were designed to only handle less than 7.5 amps. You install a bigger fuse, you risk the chance of frying the wires and possibly starting a fire. Not good. The only cure for your problem is to find that short.

On a side note, I've read about it and even experienced it myself...the crappy service at jaguar! What is going on there?? I went in for 4 tires/oil change and wheel alignment. After the car was done, I notice that they did not install the new valve stems. The wheel alignment guy tells me no alignment was needed and all checked out fine...i asked him why my original tires went bald at 25K miles on the outside edges...and OH BTW, they were gonna charge me for the wheel alignment even after the guy said it all checked out...anyway, I made him hook it up again and what do you know, toe was off by -3 degrees.....nice.....
I need to write a letter to some big wig and let him know jaguar service SUCKS!

:-0

Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Lol, life would be no fun if we didn't have something to worry about....

Glad the radio thing worked out for ya. Which radio you installing? What about the speakers?
I'm heading towards installing the LCD's in the headrest next....wish me luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah sorry to hear about the problems alex...is the car covered under warranty?

BTW Racer nice to see you around more often!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
one
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a carfax and see if it says the car has ever had any collisions. If so the area of the collision is where I'd look for a bad spot in the harness.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuse you keep blowing is battery power to the module. I remember a fellow tech had a similar situation, turned out to be the
ABS module.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should definately go with the double din, the single din wont look rite as there is such a huge space taken by the stock unit

Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea what the hell he just typed!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Who me? or Alex? lol

Old 06-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Alex I am a personal fan of pioneer and have been for many reasons. Even though I never started driving a car til 2001 my family before me used pioneer head units...I bought a sony and kenwood for other cars and ended up purchasing a pioneer head unit when I graduated and will not go away from them...4 years old and has been in 4 different cars...not going in the jag though as 04x stated single din is way too small to put in such a huge opening. Anyways pioneer has a unit with touch screen and navigation already included...not sure if you want navi but you'll spend 600 on a jvc unit but the screen is tiny...the jensen has the option of navi but the navi accessory costs more than the radio...just my thoughts though! Here's a couple of links to the hu i'm talking about...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...pricePopup.jsp

If you wanted to keep your interior colors (dash lights and what not) the same eclipse is one of the only ones out there with green illumination in the players buttons...

Old 06-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  6.3 KB

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Post some Alex when you're done............maybe even a few of your baby in the photo gallery section.

Cheers

Jim C

Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 AM

The one bad thing about the pioneer one posted above, it only has one Disc slot, so when u want to have a cd and the navi, u have to out the nav disc in, get the info u want, store it, and then u have to take that disc out and put in your Cd. If u plan to use an Ipod, then this will work just fine.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah but the money you pay I'd put that cd in as many times as I have to! The older eclipse they had at circuit city had both navi disc and dvd slots...but the pioneers they have that have 2 slots are hella expensive. Hey Alex how come you thought the pioneer players were average/not totally impressive? What more features could they add? Just curious...The quality of pioneer is by far better in the pioneer vs. both jensen/audiovox and jvc...

Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Alex I have two shallow pioneer subs right now I'm installing into a 2004 chevy silverado hd and they seem really really nice...I heard them for a second but will be installing them tomorrow and I can't wait to hear what they sound like...personally I think the weight of the 12's is kind of heavy...once you make a box for the speaker would make it even heavier...hanging it on that metal in the trunk might be too much weight...not for sure but I'd imagine. You could look into getting a shallow mount sub and putting a shallow truck box in the trunk. There are also 6 and 6.5 inch mid bass driver which are basically mini subs and most I've seen can take like 300-400 watts...but hey that is your decisions boss...anyways I'll go take a pic of the shallow mounts subs with it in my trunk if I get a chance...