X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Audio Playback

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Bluetooth Audio Playback

I just wanted to share my experiences with anyone looking to get Bluetooth audio connectivity in their car.

I have the ACM installed and the factory premium audio (no Nav. or Bluetooth). Earlier this year I switched from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, which has the new Lightning connector instead of the old 30-pin connector that the ACM accommodates. I have written other posts detailing my trial and error with various products in an attempt to get the iPhone 5 to work with the ACM, so I won't go into much detail about that here. Basically, I determined that the best/cleanest setup was the official Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter with an aftermarket (read: Chinese) extension cable plugged into it in order to hide the bulk of the wiring.

Toying with the idea of converting this to a wireless setup, I purchased the dockBoss air by CableJive.

Wireless Music Receiver for iPod and iPhone docks, connects Apple and Android smartphones, tablets and computers. dcokBoss air

Basically this device is a 1" x 1" plastic square that plugs in to any 30-pin dock and offers up a Bluetooth connection.

Now as some of you may recall from my previous thread, I had tried one of CableJive's other products, the dockBoss 5 with the ACM and determined that it didn't really work. The problem with that device is that since the ACM receives analog audio from whichever iDevice you connect to it, the dockBoss 5 would have required two conncetions: the 30 pin for power and a standard aux cable for audio. In my opinion, 2 wires running to my phone and no ability to use the in-car controls was not a worthy solution.

Now, the dockBoss air is a little more expensive than other Bluetooth adapters but for a good reason. First, it will still allow the use of the "dock's" controls. In this case, that means that the steering wheel controls and head unit controls are still able to communicate commands to the device (Note that I have only tested this on my iPhone 5 so far, but I will test it on my iPad and see if I can get some people I know with Android phones to test it as well) Also, it has very good audio quality unlike most adapters of this sort. My lossless audio files sounded only the slightest bit more compressed compared to a direct cable connection. Finally, the last and perhaps my favorite feature, "set it and forget it." I plugged it in to my ACM's 30-pin connector, stowed it in the center console, and haven't looked at it since. It automatically reconnects to my phone whenever I get in the car, and has yet to have any sort of connection issues.

So those of you with the ACM who are looking to modernize your vehicle, this is $35 well spent