Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonspeed Jaguar X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017 | 10:02 AM
|
Cool Bonspeed Jaguar X-Type

Hi Guys,

One thing has irked me more than the cancellation of the Concorde, the level of hate the X-Type gets for engine Modifications. Like it seems that most so called "Jag" enthusiasts are some serious botox-like butchers who would rather slap in a Chevy V8 than use Ford sourced performance kits on their already powerful V6 and V8 engines on XJs. The worst victim of the hate comes towards the X-Type where they will rip on it and hunt down anyone who dares to even consider modifying it for no other reason than they probably play way too much video games that circle jerk japanese tuner rice buckets...

(Now back to the Bonspeed Jaguar X-Type)
Reading into some "Real" enthuiast sites, back in 04' a company out of Cali modded a Jaguar X-Type to produce 50 more HP with the following specs:
- Borla 2.5 Inch Diameter Exhaust
- XP High Flow Intake
&
- Superchips Tuning (done here in my state of FL)

Link to the modded Jaguar:
2004 Bonspeed X-Type

Bonspeed website:

BONSPEED

So,

My question is that with such mods, it seems like a decent proposition to have performance out of your jag at a reasonable amount. Yes, it ain't the magical 300XXXXXXXXX HP that everyone here seems to circle jerk about not achieving, but it seems like a reasonable effort that won't hurt the bank like an entire engine and tranny swap!

Old 01-23-2017 | 05:39 PM
|

Has anyone here tried to put these features into their X-Type yet?

Old 01-23-2017 | 06:50 PM

The problem is not with the engines but with the JATCO gearbox and weak transfer case.

Manual gearbox might hold up to some engine mods??????

bob

Old 01-24-2017 | 11:44 AM

I have done a lot of mods to my motor, probably more than anyone ever has to an x type. I have no idea of the power numbers but I'm sure it's up near 250hp. That bonspeed ain't crap compared to what I've done to mine so far and I'm not even close to finished haha. People can hate on it all they want, there will always be someone to tell you you can't do it. That's the motivation I need.

Old 01-24-2017 | 01:50 PM

Specifically, what have you done to the motor for more HP?

Old 01-24-2017 | 03:22 PM

Port matched the upper intake to the lower, honed and sharpened the blade just behind the throttle body, plenum spacer, short ram intake, MSDS headers, high flow cat, 2.5 inch piping eliminating the sharp bend over the rear diff and ran through the rear suspension for less restriction.

Having a big change happening the 3rd which will allow tons of free time and I pretty much have everything to finally start the teardown and prep for boost.

Old 01-28-2017 | 11:39 AM
|
Cool

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
Port matched the upper intake to the lower, honed and sharpened the blade just behind the throttle body, plenum spacer, short ram intake, MSDS headers, high flow cat, 2.5 inch piping eliminating the sharp bend over the rear diff and ran through the rear suspension for less restriction.

Having a big change happening the 3rd which will allow tons of free time and I pretty much have everything to finally start the teardown and prep for boost.
Damn, that is one sweet setup! I'll also start modifications on my car once I start to work in the summer as I would've graduated from University. That being said, I would love to try those mods on my own ride but the major problem I am having is with the TCM electricals. It seems that if the car is too cold, the system shifts my gear to 5th gear and then all the random lights pop up and the odometer shows dashes.
On that note, I too have noticed all these punk *** haters on this forum who hate the idea of a "lower" Jag having performance that would match an XJ or XK!! Let's sarge against these fascists together and liberate the Jaguar brand!

Last edited by WhiteBetty; 01-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2017 | 11:46 AM

Sorry to revive an 'old' thread but I was doing research on something and saw that you have MSDS headers - awesome! AFAIK you're the only one that has done that. I had MSDS headers and y-pipe on my second SVT Contour. Mods were similar and I was dynoing just a little over 200fwhp.
Anyways, I've been considering the MSDS headers since I know the Duratecs are plug 'n play and was pretty excited you've already done them (much like the swaybars, LOL). I'm going through the forums trying to get more information and this is what I found:
I did msds headers and ran a 2 into 1 hi flow cat and put it where the factory flex pipe/2 into 1 collector is. Downstreams are place just after cat and everything is copacetic. I don't know hp or torque gains but defintely added a decent amount of power. Had to add a performance resonator to quiet her down a bit, thing screams...
Can you go into more detail? Part numbers? Pictures? Did you do it yourself (sounds like it from other posts)? It appears as if the 'full exhaust advice' thread wasn't finished. You went with contour front and escape rear headers and a custom y-pipe, right?

Old 10-22-2017 | 04:28 PM

Any engine can be mods to increase the power; The question is how much you want to spend? You can put ton of money in to mods and up graded: The engine, the brakes, suspensions etc. And we all knew that X-Type trans and TC are not made to be abused, you can drive it fast but gently, not to snapped in the gears or trashing it around. Yes! It not what you have, but how you drive it.

The following users liked this post:
chknhwk (10-22-2017)
Old 11-01-2017 | 05:56 AM

What about the fabled X type R, never made it into production as Ford pulled it!!
Jaguar X Type R