X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a flooded jaguar from hurricane sandy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a flooded jaguar from hurricane sandy

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but I need your advise on what I should do. I recently bought a 2005 jaguar xtype 3.0 sport black on black with manual transmission. I just got the car few days ago. I tried starting it but it wouldn't start and click or anything. The power works. Radio heater. Lights. Horn etc. except the seats. Looked at fuse box and the fuse that controls the seats burnt. Out. I don't think it was fully flooded cause the carpets are wet and that's all checked the engine oil seems fine. If you guys could help me out on what to do I'd greatly appreciate it. I think the battery might be dead so gonna charge it overnight. Anything helps. Thank you

Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Sergius,
First, remove the battery and give it a full charge. Whilst that is going on, systematically go through all fuse boxes and check that all fuses are good, clean and dry.

Check all the relays are in good condition also.

Refit the battery when fully charged and try again. Perhaps, remove the fuse from the security system.

I'm not familiar with the X type so this is only basics I'm afraid.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place. If there is something that needs to be fixed on an X-Type more than likely someone here can help you. When you dry out please stop my the new member section and introduce yourself. Wow, you are a brave soul. Hope it works out for you.

Like Jimbo said, start with the battery, maybe even replace it instead of charging it. Low batteries on our cars can lead to a number of false codes to come up. Can you see an actual line as to how high the water got, like around the door jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc.? Might also want to change all the fluids you can, which probably is a good idea anyway seeing as you know nothing on the previous maintenance done or not done) to the car. Also check anything with the braking system and also the TCM. Do a search on here as about it as all sorts of issues show up when it gets wet.

Lastly, let us know how this all turns out for you. You have a pretty rare model. 2005 was the last year for the manual with the 3.0 liter engine and there are not a lot of them out there.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Please take time to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'

Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place. If there is something that needs to be fixed on an X-Type more than likely someone here can help you. When you dry out please stop my the new member section and introduce yourself. Wow, you are a brave soul. Hope it works out for you.

Like Jimbo said, start with the battery, maybe even replace it instead of charging it. Low batteries on our cars can lead to a number of false codes to come up. Can you see an actual line as to how high the water got, like around the door jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc.? Might also want to change all the fluids you can, which probably is a good idea anyway seeing as you know nothing on the previous maintenance done or not done) to the car. Also check anything with the braking system and also the TCM. Do a search on here as about it as all sorts of issues show up when it gets wet.

Lastly, let us know how this all turns out for you. You have a pretty rare model. 2005 was the last year for the manual with the 3.0 liter engine and there are not a lot of them out there.

Thanks once again! That's exactly what I'm doing. Took out the battery and put it to charge. But Im most likely gonna replace it tho. I had a xtype before and battery always had issues until I replaced it. I'm going take the car to the
Shop so They can do a engine flush and than tranny flush. Just to be safe.

I looked in the trunk where the spare is at and there's no moisture or water. Which is a good thing. And I see that the water got maybe to the tip of the exhaust since it looked like it had some water. But other than that it looks clean. Interior only floor Matt's and underneath is wet.

Yeah the the only reason I got this jag is cause it's the top of the line of any xtype. Has everything. And believe it or not it's only 22k on it :-) plus got it dirt cheap from auction.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:29 PM

So I charged the battery fully and it started! No problem. Just gonna have to dry the interior. And runs and drives perfect. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome! I'm happy for you. Hope that is nothing else pops up later to surprise you. If you are good to go you certainly got a steal. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for it?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Yeah so I removed everything from the car. All Matt's carpets even the liner. Used a shop vac to get some water out and it's drying as we speak. When I got the car started it works like new I was shocked. No check engine light or any codes or errors. Which is good . So only the floor Matt's and carpets are wet.

When I played for it from a auto auction. State Farm isurance was selling it. And it did say starts and drives. So I wanted to Risk it. Cause my buddy has a lot and he bought 150k worth of vehicles from the insurance after the hurricane. Anyways I got the car for 3700. Believe it or not. And 398 for fees and taxes.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty nice as long as you are going to keep it. Might be tougher to sell it down the road, but that's hopefully years away. Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Oh no not planning on selling at all. I always wanted this car so it's gonna be my project car I'll post pictures after I put it back together

Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

holy cow 3700...nice!

i wanted to buy a rolls royce for $30k

are u able to insure it?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah of course you can insure it lol all of my cars are of a auction lol

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergius
Yeah of course you can insure it lol all of my cars are of a auction lol
a lot of the sandy cars are being titled as salvaged....which some insurance companies have a problem with

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

I'm well aware of that. But the insurance company doesn't ask you if your title is salvage or not.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergius
I'm well aware of that. But the insurance company doesn't ask you if your title is salvage or not.
Just hope they have the same attitude if you make a claim.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Ooo been there done that. No problems what so ever

Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Make sure to check with your state department of motor vehicles. If the car has a salvage title there might be some "issues" with getting it registered and re-titled.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great steal!!! Its been a few months, so has anything new popped up? Also, how did a Sandy car end up in an auction in Oregon???

How bout a pic?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

chiefshb, if you are in Oregon, would the thought of a car being involved in a hurricane cross your mind. Kinda like finding a car down in Florida, would you give it a thought about it being dunked in the salty snow up north? Much easier to pass off a questionable vehicle out of area.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hurricane flood cars get dumped throughout the world t get rid of them

to the OP:
reach up under the lowest part of the dash and see if your hand comes away with anything brown or red. That's a sure sign that dirty water got up that far. If you don't find anything there, then, good score!
If you do find something there, get your $3700 worth of use from the car before it goes from one headache to another