Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Issue Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Issue Please Help!!

Hi Everyone, new here so go easy!

I recently bought an X Type 2005 Diesel Estate, just yesterday I noticed that the brake lights are constantly on.

I have unclipped the brake light switch, jiggled around with it, pressed the switch in and out and the lights are still on so it's not an issue with the switch being pressed or not/hanging out etc.

When the cars engine is on and the lights turned off, the brake lights do come on when I press the brake, but it also flashes all the dash lights/radio light etc. This also happens when the ignition is turned to the second position (I don't know the name of this, sorry)

Here is a video of what I mean..

​​​​​​<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UORKBZc8NmY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that didn't work, here is the link......

Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? Faulty switch? Or maybe something a bit more difficult to sort?

I'm really not mechanically minded so I will struggle to do further tests behind the lights etc, so maybe if someone knows how much this might cost to sort then that would be great to know too.

I'm reallly gutted, I love the car. Clearly the guy who sold it to me knew about this. My fault for not checking every detail I suppose.

Hopefully I can sort it, thank you very much for any replies!

Old 12-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard there is a wiring harness above the brake paddle. This harness can run and cause problems. I would look for it and inspect it well.