X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights Always On & No Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Brake Lights Always On & No Cruise Control

This has been discussed before but, I did not see any photos for us "spatially challenged individuals" so I thought I would re-post with a photo.

My wife noticed that the cruise control on our 2002 X-Type had stopped working after we had the brake master cylinder replaced. While poking around I happened to notice that the rear brake lights were also always on when the engine was running. Thanks to previous posts, I was able to determine that the likely culprit was the brake position sensing switch under the dash.

It took me a few minutes to realize that the switch block had to be rotated about 45 degrees clockwise to remove the switch. As suspected, the switch plunger was stuck in the switch housing and could not touch the plate mounted on the brake pedal arm. The switch was in a constant "ON" position - thus the brake lights were always on and the cruise control module would not set (because it thought the brakes had been applied).

To remedy the condition, I simply held onto the switch base and pulled the plunger out to full length to reset it. I tested the plunger by pushing it in a little and it spring-returned to its full length when I released the plunger.

I reinstalled the switch by placing it into the mounting plate below the dash and rotating it 45 degrees counter clockwise. A short drive confirmed that the cruise control would now engage and the rear brake lights only came on when the brake pedal was actual depressed.

The following 2 users liked this post by PanamaJag:
Larry-Cleveland (10-29-2016), rapala (10-29-2016)