Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather hose nipple at manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Breather hose nipple at manifold

Hello fellow members,

I have a 2003 X-Type, 2.5 and I have been getting the P0171 code. At first Autozone suggested replacing the MAF but the check engine code came right back. After doing some research I found out that the likely culprit is a vacuum leak.
Upon inspection I found that the nipple that where the breather hose attaches to the manifold is broken right a the place where the edge of the hose where plastic piece (nipple) widens to attach to the manifold and when I turn the car one, the hose completely flattens.
I called my local Jaguar Dealer Parts Department and I was told that the nipple that connects the manifold to the breather hose can only be bought as part of the manifold at a cost of $1,300 for the part and gaskets. This seem utterly ridiculous as the part is likely a $5 piece of plastic.

and...

The break is right at the end of the hose where it attaches to the plastic nipple. The part where the hose attaches actualyl goes into the body of the niple about 3/8".
Hasa nyone else run into this situation and is there a solution that does not involve buying the entire manifold?
I have thought of two potential solutions. The first consists of cleaning the part and then using JB weld to attach the pipe to the body.
The second option is to take a pipe tap and thread the inside body of the nipple and then screw in a short pipe where the hose can attach; the body of the nipple seems to be large and sturdy enough...any comments?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide; the $1,300 solution is not doable so I need to find an alternate option.

Attached Thumbnails Breather hose nipple at manifold-i-rrxlldd-m.jpg   Breather hose nipple at manifold-i-ssxjhqh-m.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Would this be a solution? Jaguar x Type Emission Crankcase Control PCV Valve Hose C2S40863 | eBay

That's the new style pcv valve hose and I realize that your 2003 has not been updated as the hose that you are using is actually very prone to failure. If that isn't your part, jb weld is actually a great solution. I got the same code you did, swapped my pcv valve hose with the re-engineered version (one in the link) and jb welded my brake booster hose. Now I have no codes and get better mileage!!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM

You are correct. I stopped by the dealer to see what he had; after I got there, the parts man did not have an answer. Finally, I took the part to the car and figured out that the new part includes the connector and the old one needs to be removed. The new hose looks alot sturdier than the old one. Here is a picture of both hose where you can see the difference between the old 2-piece and the new 1-piece:

I had codes reset and so far they have not come back.
What I find interesting is that I e-mailed the picture to three other Jaguar Dealer Parts Departments and none of them knew about this. Pretty scary.

Attached Thumbnails Breather hose nipple at manifold-i-nmzrzq2-m.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 AM

I spoke too soon. The P0171 and P01174 came back shortly but I was not able to get back to this issue due to may father's health condition that required 2 trip to emergency in the last 3 weeks and about 24" of snow in the last week. Now that he is recovered and the snow has stopped, I am back to trying to find the cause for these codes.
I replaced the IMT O rings, even when the ones in the car seemed to be in OK condition, reset the code but they are back again.
I tried spraying starting fluid in the vicinity of all hoses and connections I could see but I did not notice any change in the idling speed.
Is there anything that I am missing? What should I try next? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working through the same problem - vacuum leaks. I've replaced the brake booster hose, PCV hose, the IMT o-rings, throttle body o-ring, and just this past week, both upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Finally, I don't have the codes anymore.

However, while I replacing the manifold gaskets, I found pooled coolant on top of the block. Didn't have the time to investigate further, but after reading through some posts in here, I think I need to go back in and replace some gaskets in the cooling system. It's a never ending black comedy.

Oh, and while you're replacing the PCV hose, I would replace the PCV valve, too - I found oil in the intake manifold which, according to some posts, can be caused by a PCV that's on its last legs.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM

I thought I had posted a solution to my issue before but apparently it did not go through.
I ended up replacing the upper and lower manifold gaskets as well s the PCV valve and the codes have not come back.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (11-04-2013)