Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil jaguar x type 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil jaguar x type 2.5

Hi 😊,
i'm a new member of your forum.I have a jaguar x type 2.5 V6 2005 with 160000 miles.I am worried about the engine becouse my jaguar burns oil.I use 5/40W valvoline oil and the results are that he burn around 1L every 2000km.No smok from exhaust,i think i i have even a vaccum leak becouse at cold start the car start to pump back to the exhaust than after 5min works fine.What can suggest me to do?
Ps:I love the car 😊

Old 04-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Mario, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good info here. Lots of people with tons of knowledge about Jaguars. We do ask a small favor of you though. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as a result, we have a lot of friendships around here and more of a family feel. We like to get to know one another. So, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little diddy about yourself and your car. This will help you learn who the major players are here.

As for your problem, I would first ask a question: Is your car leaking fluid from the oil pan? This could account for what you are seeing. If you are not seeing oil leaking under the car, then the next thing I would say is to replace your PCV valve (on the front valve cover, next to the intake air box). That most likely has reached the end of its life and is not doing its job and letting too much oil/oil vapor leave the engine. The part is like $10 at a local auto parts store and takes all of about 5 minutes to replace. Of note, look at the piece before you go into the parts store as they may ask you if you have the purple or gray PCV valve. I don't recall the difference, but there was one at one time. Lets see what you have after this. Then we can go deeper into the engine to prove things good and bad.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks,
i feel already wellcome with this forum .Abount the car,i buyit 1 year ago and i love to driveit around.I usually drive mostly in city.About the leaks,i checked with my trusted mechanic and theres not any kind of leak,its a very clean car.OH its my first jaag.The first time i change the spark plugs NGK,ignition coils NGK,O rings gasket,upper manifold gasket,the lower one i did not change for the moment but i will becouse i think that the vaccum leak comes from there.About the oil,the PCV valve is the green one and i didnt change becouse i didnt find a new one but i just clean with a spray cleaner (a friend of my suggest to do that).The first oil change was with LUK oil 10/40W and he consumed the same,my mechanic suggest to change to valvoline 5/40W but the same risults.Now we are thinking to put some of oil additiv like resurs but i dont know.Do you have any suggest for this type of additiv,or even another one that will help for this issue.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

I would avoid any additives. The clearances in this engine are very tight and the thicker you make the oil (adding things to oil tend to make them thicker), the harder it is for the oil to get where it needs to. Also, the variable valve timing is very touchy with getting the oil too thick. 10W-40 is pushing it with the VVT as I recall. It really wants 5W-20. Replace the PCV valve and hten see what your oil consumption is like. Keep in mind that with newer engines, it is not uncommon for them to go through up to a quart every 1,000 miles or so. So, while I would agree that if it suddenly started doing this that you need to be looking for a cause, you are not in the worry zone quite yet.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:48 AM

Ok,thanks for the advice.I will change the PCV first than change the oil with 5W/20.I hope it works.