X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUYING JAGUAR X-TYPE OEM BI-XENON HEADLIGHTS WILL THEY WORK ON A 04-05 NON XENON HEADLIGHT CAR ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: BUYING JAGUAR X-TYPE OEM BI-XENON HEADLIGHTS WILL THEY WORK ON A 04-05 NON XENON HEADLIGHT CAR ?

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 3035
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey Aquill / Caddie.............nice to catch up with you guys. Its been a while.......soo busy

All good??

Jim

Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts
Default RE: BUYING JAGUAR X-TYPE OEM BI-XENON HEADLIGHTS WILL THEY WORK ON A 04-05 NON XENON HEADLIGHT CAR ?

Hey Dear mod !
Yeah for me too , nice to mayonnaise too oopppsss sorry ketch up lol
I guess you're busy on these days ,when you are online the forums boosted up in every way of crumpy things !

Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bi-xenons have no application in our cars. We have seperate headlight bulbs (and reflectors) for both our low and high beams.

I've really been slacking on the FAQ post, but it took a while to organize all the photos, rename them in order, and write-up the directions. All I have to do now is resize the pics, upload them to photobucket.com and lay out a post. Unfortunately, my weeks keep getting busier and busier. I've just purchased another house as a renovation project and it has taken a lot of my spare time. Perhaps I'll just bring all the photos and .doc file to work and do everything on the clock

Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there you go!

Yeah jim im sure you'v been busy...everyone seems to be!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

They're on back order . Its possible they will ship via UPS or Fedexnext week w/ a tracking # .We aplogize for any inconvenience

Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 3163
Size:  7.4 KB

Great stuff Caddie..............helpful as always

Welcome to the forums btw frombenz2jag

Jim

Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

LOL,thanks this time I added some fun in it to pour a water in fire ....Does that count whether the water cold or hot ? lol forget it

Old 08-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Default Instructions for adding original Xenon to non Xenon Jaguar Xtypr

Originally Posted by tokaygecko
I have fitted the factory Xenon lights and it was simple. All you need to do is add a ground wire to each headlight. You will need to open the headlights to access the wiring.

I can give you step-by-step directions if you need them. While the headlights are apart you should inspect the internals because there is a good chance the little plastic pieces that hold the reflector in place are broken. Most headlights for sale on ebay are from wrecked cars and have suffered a big hit- and it doesn't take much to break the brittle plastic pieces.

I still have my halogens taken apart in a box in the garage so I will be able to take all the pics you need.

hi
i will be so grateful if you can send step by step instruction to change my Xtype headlights to Xenon .. i am looking for an original set

fadiaji@gmail.com

regards
fadi

Old 08-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

fadi, to convert from standard halogen headlights to HIDs, you first need to get a set of HID headlights. From there, you will need to remove your current headlights and look at the car side of the plug. If you look at pins 8 and 10, you should only see a one of them filled (PIn 10). You will need to get some pins from our local auto parts store and add a new ground wire (using 16 gauge wire) into the Pin 8 location. This wire will then have a ring lug on the other end of the wire (about 18 inches/45 cm in length). This ring lug can then be mounted to any fastener that is bolted to the frame/body of the car. You have a few options under each headlight. Repeat for the other side of the car.

Now, if you need to get the auto leveling portion of the HID headlights working, then you have a lot of work that you will need to do. There are sensors that need to get mounted to the front and rear axles, a new computer, a wiring harness running the full length of the car, ....... That would be much more involved. Not sure what your local laws are regarding what must be included if you are running HID bulbs in a car.

Last edited by Thermo; 08-06-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Fitting brighter (non-HID) bulbs is easier by far

Old 12-31-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tokaygecko
I have fitted the factory Xenon lights and it was simple. All you need to do is add a ground wire to each headlight. You will need to open the headlights to access the wiring.

I can give you step-by-step directions if you need them. While the headlights are apart you should inspect the internals because there is a good chance the little plastic pieces that hold the reflector in place are broken. Most headlights for sale on ebay are from wrecked cars and have suffered a big hit- and it doesn't take much to break the brittle plastic pieces.

I still have my halogens taken apart in a box in the garage so I will be able to take all the pics you need.
Hi all I'm nueiw, I hear joust curious where do I find the earth wire

Old 12-31-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Galwayguy1973, if you follow the wiring for the headlight, there will be either 1 or 2 black wires (depends on whether you have non-HID headlights- which will have 1 black wire; or HID headlights - which you will have 2 black wires) that run to the frame of the car directly under the headlight itself. If you are looking for the wire in the plug, then you are looking at pin 10 and possibly pin 8 (if you have the HID headlights).

If you need more clarify, let me know.

The following users liked this post:
Galwayguy1973 (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Galwayguy1973, if you follow the wiring for the headlight, there will be either 1 or 2 black wires (depends on whether you have non-HID headlights- which will have 1 black wire; or HID headlights - which you will have 2 black wires) that run to the frame of the car directly under the headlight itself. If you are looking for the wire in the plug, then you are looking at pin 10 and possibly pin 8 (if you have the HID headlights).

If you need more clarify, let me know.
Non hid lights in it I bought 2 xenon factory flights but seen someone say there not plug and play I will go look at what your saying and if I need more info I will be back thanks a mill for your help

Old 01-03-2024, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Galwayguy1973, yes, they are plug and play for the most part. The plugs are the same size, the headlight housings use the same bolt pattern. The difference is in the wiring harness. There is one wire that is not installed in the non-HID cars. You will know this because if you install the HID headlights and plug them in, everything will work fine except for the low beam (main beam in some areas). The high beam will work fine, but the headlight in the outer headlight opening will not until you add a single wire on each side between the missing pin and chassis ground.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thermo. Can you post instructions on adding the extra wire please. I have an aftermarket HID kit that I’m going to install soon

Old 01-03-2024, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

NYCJag2006, if you are doing an aftermarket kit, then the instructions are pretty simple.

-Remove front bumper cover
-Remove headlight housings (both sides)
-Remove rear cover over the low beam headlight, set off to the side
-Remove H1 bulb from headlight housing
-Cut off the connector going to the back of the headlight bulb
-Splice the red wire from the kit to the wire you just cut the connector off of. IT is preferable to put a weather tight covering over this like Raychem heat shrink (WCSF-070) or similar product to prevent future corrosion of joint). It is best if you have an extra inch off of each end of the butt splice to ensure you get a good environmental seal. If you use the Raychem, this will be noted by a small orange "o-ring" forming at the end of the heat shrink around where the wire goes into the heat shrink.
-Drill a hole in the back cover to fit the weather seal on the wiring (should be about a 1" hole)
-RUn wiring through hole in the back cover
-Remove the black wire from the weather seal and use a little bit of RTV to plug this hole.
-Attach a ring lug (for a 5/16" bolt) to the free end of the black wire.
-Find mounting location for the ballast for the new HIDs (right under the headlight is a good spot). Ensure the ballast will not contact the headlight.
-MOunt the ballast and then connect the red/black wire connector to the ballast
-Connect the other connector to the ballast.
-Slide the headlight loosely into the opening and then connect the new bulb to the connector there. Install the bulb into the headlight housing (ensure your fingers DO NOT!!!!! touch the glass, doing so will shorten the life of the bulb).
-Mount the headlight assembly to the car and then install the rear cover (may need to slide the environmental seal up/down the wiring as needed to make this all fit.)
-Repeat for the other side.
-Ensure headlights work properly.
-Remount the bumper cover.

The addition of a wire to the factory plug is only needed if you are going to use factory HID headlights in a car that was originally wired for non-HID bulbs.

If I need to clarify anything, let me know. The big thing is making sure that you get the H1 bulb kit to prevent from having to do more modifications than you need to do. Also keep in mind that factory HID bulbs are only 35 watts, not 50/55. You install the 50/55 watt HID bulbs, you are going to blind everyone coming at you. Non-HID bulbs are rated at about 1500 lumen, 35 watt HIDs are rated at about 3300 lumen, and the 50/55 watt HIDs are rated at 4500 lumen. So, imagine what it would be like to have someone coming at you wiht their high beams on and then some off-road lights on top of that. That is what you get with 50/55 watt HIDs. You want to install them as your high beams, go for it. You should never be driving by someone with your high beams on. Granted, I cannot recommend that for the X-Type as the HID needs a focusing mechanism and the high beams do not have that on the X-YTpe. So, the higher wattage bulbs would just throw light everywhere, not straight down the road in front of you. So, you would probably loose some lighting overall.