X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise

Every time I shut off the car, I hear a buzzing noise. But if I step into the house, or the market, when I come back to the car, that noise is gone. Recently my battery has been running down, and I have to recharge it. I thought it might be the alternator, since the battery tested out fine. But then two hours after I got out of my car, I opened the door, and that buzzing is still there. Then overnight it sat. The next morning, the buzzing still there. I heard from one person, a relay is bad. But he didn't tell me which one. I am at a loss. What is this noise in the first place? And which relay should I swap out? Thanks.

2005 X TYPE (added by GGG)

Last edited by GGG; 11-11-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Add Model & Year
Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Gary,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by garybnelson
Every time I shut off the car, I hear a buzzing noise. But if I step into the house, or the market, when I come back to the car, that noise is gone. Recently my battery has been running down, and I have to recharge it. I thought it might be the alternator, since the battery tested out fine. But then two hours after I got out of my car, I opened the door, and that buzzing is still there. Then overnight it sat. The next morning, the buzzing still there. I heard from one person, a relay is bad. But he didn't tell me which one. I am at a loss. What is this noise in the first place? And which relay should I swap out? Thanks.

2005 X TYPE (added by GGG)
Its normal, there is a small grille by the steering wheel with a small fan behind it... Its part of the climate control system and runs for quite a while after shutdown and restarts when the door is opened again.
There are about a 1000 posts on this subject

Old 11-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Default BUZZ

I don't recall getting into the car in the morning, and hearing this buzz. Only after I stop some place, I hear it. But first thing in the morning, it turns on when the door is opened. Or anytime I open the door that happens? So if I open the passenger door only, it shouldn't buzz?

Old 11-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Gary, you may have condition called parasitic drain from some component on the car that's supposed to "go to sleep" after shutdown but is staying on. You can search YouTube for some videos on how to find the culprit. I recommend you test your battery and alternator with a multimeter, or one pictured that's easy to see from inside car. Static battery voltage should be 12.6v when fully charged. When engine's running you should see approximately 14v. Second picture shows my M5's battery voltage slightly low (car sits a lot), but all's well in third picture with engine running. If you use a multimeter measure at the battery posts, not the cables.

Attached Thumbnails Buzzing noise-voltmtr.jpg   Buzzing noise-voltmtr1.jpg   Buzzing noise-voltmtr2.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 11-11-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Default THANKS

Here is the final scoop. I had Autozone test the battery. He said it was fine, but the alternator might be bad. I put it on a charger this morning for 4 hours, and it only raised 2 volts. At this point, battery. So I grabbed a neighbor to take me to Oreillys, and they said they could smell it burning. So it turned out to be the battery. I will never have Autozone test one again. But thanks for everyone's input. If it stays charged, then I won't worry about that buzzing.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Behind that little grill, mentioned above, is a little fan unit that sucks in and samples air from the cabin interior for the climate control system. It was originally virtually silent. It may be making a noise because of wear and tear, but just as likely it's fluffed up and the fan blades are rubbing. The grill can be levered out and the sensor unit cleaned to some extent with an artist's brush and a vacuum cleaner through a small bore tube. You shouldn't really be aware of it running.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

The X400 was introduced when I worked at the Jaguar dealer and I HATED that stupid climate control interior temperature aspirator fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many customers complained and believed the sensor fan NEVER SHUT OFF. I told them it did but they NEVER believed me.

It's kinda like the 'fridge light'.......... When you open the door, it's ON, DOES IT GO OFF WHEN YOU CLOSE THE DOOR??????????????

bob